Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #992
View in linear mode

Subject: "Oh... My... God... (please help)" Previous topic | Next topic
Jeremiah95RSJul-13-03 01:13 PM
Member since Jul 13th 2003
2 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#992, "Oh... My... God... (please help)"

Okay, lots of problems, evidently. First off its a 95 Eclipse RS, engines from a 97 Avenger, very light mods. 6-month old OE Sachs clutch in an OE 5-speed trans with a slight leak thats suddenly become marginally worse. On to the problem...

Noticed an occasional creaking noise in the front end under braking and turning or acclerating & truning. Suddenly I've now developed a *Popping* noise under the same conditions I crawled under the car today to check the cv boots for damage, steering assy, suspension bushings and found the following: cv boots good, bushings good. Fluid inside the bellhousing but not on the clutch. Fluid leaking from the top(!) of the trans, under the battery tray. Worst of all, I cleaned away the sludge from the bottom near the trans oil drain and found tiny cracks in the metal, and one large crack (see pic at link).

http:\\members.fortunecity.com\elementalpanther\car.htm

What the heck is all this mess??
Somebody please tell me I'm not going to be shopping for a new tranny...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Oh... My... God... (please help), 2hot97GS, Jul-13-03 04:07 PM, #1
You called it..., Jeremiah95RS, Jul-13-03 06:59 PM, #2
      RE: You called it..., 2hot97GS, Jul-14-03 12:04 AM, #3
           RE: You called it..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-14-03 07:28 AM, #4
           RE: You called it..., WickedESi, Jul-15-03 12:40 AM, #5
           RE: You called it..., GS-Turbo6982, Aug-20-03 07:52 AM, #6
                RE: You called it..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-20-03 02:33 PM, #7
                     RE: You called it..., GS-Turbo6982, Aug-21-03 07:35 AM, #8
                          RE: You called it..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-21-03 09:17 AM, #9
                               RE: You called it..., GS-Turbo6982, Aug-22-03 05:20 AM, #10
                                    RE: You called it..., 95_ESi_Person, Aug-28-03 10:08 AM, #11

2hot97GSJul-13-03 04:07 PM
Member since Aug 18th 2002
413 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#993, "RE: Oh... My... God... (please help)"
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-13-03 04:07 PM by 2hot97GS

my only guess is you blew out a bearing and it shot into the case?
and yes.. youre going to be shopping for a new tranny.

Travis
Blue 93 Talon AWD
Best Time 11.9 w/ 104 octane
-Objects in mirror are getting thier asses kicked-

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Jeremiah95RSJul-13-03 06:59 PM
Member since Jul 13th 2003
2 posts,
#994, "You called it..."
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the help. Looks like your right since the problem has suddenly become self-evident.
I left bits of housing and a gear or two behind in a big puddle of gear oil during a 5-minute test run. Posted a pic at the link above.

What could have caused this? I'm an aggressive driver, but not overly abusive. No racing, no neutral drops, etc. What the heck...?? :cuss

2hot97GSJul-14-03 12:04 AM
Member since Aug 18th 2002
413 posts,
#995, "RE: You called it..."
In response to Reply # 2

that looks like a spider gear from the diff to me... our diff pin is NOTORIOUS for sliding out and destroying the trans.. and it works is way out slowly until it gets far enough to do some damage as you can tell.

Travis
Blue 93 Talon AWD
Best Time 11.9 w/ 104 octane
-Objects in mirror are getting thier asses kicked-

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-14-03 07:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#996, "RE: You called it..."
In response to Reply # 3

Usually as a result of lots of wheelspin: burnouts, lots of hard lanches, lots of sliding around on wet concrete, and lack of fluid in your trans.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

WickedESiJul-15-03 12:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#1001, "RE: You called it..."
In response to Reply # 4

That pin destroyed my old tranmission

GS-Turbo6982Aug-20-03 07:52 AM
Member since Aug 19th 2003
35 posts,
#1265, "RE: You called it..."
In response to Reply # 3

>that looks like a spider gear from the diff to me... our diff
>pin is NOTORIOUS for sliding out and destroying the trans..
>and it works is way out slowly until it gets far enough to do
>some damage as you can tell.

I have a 95 GS. Iam now on my 3rd transmission because of this same reason. Would an after market diff solve this problem? And all of my trans have had the hair line crakes in them. Is this bad!!

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-20-03 02:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1267, "RE: You called it..."
In response to Reply # 6

Sure, so would diff opin safing brackets, or welding the pin in place. A Quaife would fix it, as well. SO would not doinf burnouts, or spinning tire through corners. They rarely fail due to normal use..

The "hairline cracks" you are seeing acre probably just casting marks, not really cracks. Almost all the trans cases i've seen look like this.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

GS-Turbo6982Aug-21-03 07:35 AM
35 posts,
#1269, "RE: You called it..."
In response to Reply # 7

>Sure, so would diff opin safing brackets, or welding the pin
>in place. A Quaife would fix it, as well. SO would not doinf
>burnouts, or spinning tire through corners. They rarely fail
>due to normal use..
>
>The "hairline cracks" you are seeing acre probably just
>casting marks, not really cracks. Almost all the trans cases
>i've seen look like this.

Its also making a clunking noise when I take off. It's not my CV joints I checked them. And I don't think is my motor mounts I'm using energy suspension. It my just be ware in the gears.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-21-03 09:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1273, "RE: You called it..."
In response to Reply # 8

>Its also making a clunking noise when I take off. It's not my
>CV joints I checked them. And I don't think is my motor
>mounts I'm using energy suspension. It my just be ware in the
>gears.

Check the rear motor mount bracket. Mine pulled a bolt out, and bent the bracket. it clunked like i had a bad motor mount (because it wasn't strongly attached to the trans anymore).

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

GS-Turbo6982Aug-22-03 05:20 AM
35 posts,
#1276, "RE: You called it..."
In response to Reply # 9

I checked my rear mount it's not broke but it does look bad. The engine has some movement. Today Im installing the energy suspension rear mount. I installed the front mount about a year ago, just haven't got aroung to installing the rear.
Josh

95_ESi_PersonAug-28-03 10:08 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#1308, "RE: You called it..."
In response to Reply # 10

hmmmm... after looking at your site, i think that the motor mount (trans mount) in the last pic on the site, i think that mine might be broken.... a long while back after having the trans rebuilt i took the battery tray off and i'm not sure, i think mine was missing the top half of that, or would my trans have fallen out if that were the case? it did leak from the differential seals (axle ones)... i'm gonna go and check that now...

if mine is broken, (the aluminum part) how much do you think that will run me?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #992 Previous topic | Next topic