Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7278
View in linear mode

Subject: "Most likely a dumb question...Clutch failed?" Previous topic | Next topic
KunzinatorJul-26-08 02:34 AM
Member since Feb 23rd 2008
3 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7278, "Most likely a dumb question...Clutch failed?"
Jul-26-08 05:32 AM by Kunzinator

Okay I have been driving my car in 3rd gear for a good while, I know not good, but I am between jobs and couldn't find/afford a shifter cable.
Earlier this week my clutch started to slip pretty bad and then poof, I was in neutral, I checked the switch on my transmission it is in 3rd still(put it back in neutral when towing) and we tried 2nd as well, same thing no engagement from the clutch.
Is this just a simple clutch failure or is there something else I should be on the lookout for? And if it is the clutch, since my car is turbo'd I want a fairly decent clutch put in(have a feeling it was already aftermarket before...) so any recommendations on that would be great. Hoping getting a job soon with a decent pay rate...

Thanks

Afterthought, anyone know where to score a cheap set of shift cables, <$160 at dealership...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

RoninEclipse2GJul-26-08 04:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7279, "RE: Most likely a dumb question...Clutch failed?"
In response to Reply # 0

the ammount of slipping necessary to run a car only in third gear probably fried the shit out of that clutch.

the F1 clutch on ebay is a known good clutch.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

KunzinatorJul-26-08 05:21 AM
Member since Feb 23rd 2008
3 posts,
#7280, "RE: Most likely a dumb question...Clutch failed?"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah I knew that was inevitable, my last words to my mechanic were "My clutch ain't gonna last forever in 3rd gear"

He had ordered the shift cable for me when I had some cash saying they quoted $38, which sounded wrong considering the dealer told me $160.00. 4 Days turned into two weeks, and a shifter bracket comes in the mail...he didn't sign for it... Any way that left me SOL...

Thanks for the quick reply, I was mainly just verifying I didn't break anything else in the process... Oh and I did search and see the F1 clutch, looks like the way to go.

(For future reference, you can get by in 3rd gear for 2-3 months, lol.. not recommended though)

RoninEclipse2GJul-26-08 05:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#7281, "RE: Most likely a dumb question...Clutch failed?"
In response to Reply # 2

I doubt you broke anything other than what was already damaged. I'd still do a thorough inspection.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ModeratortekleinJul-29-08 03:16 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#7282, "RE: Most likely a dumb question...Clutch failed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Kunzinator
Okay I have been driving my car in 3rd gear for a good while, I know not good, but I am between jobs and couldn't find/afford a shifter cable. Earlier this week my clutch started to slip pretty bad and then poof, I was in neutral, I checked the switch on my transmission it is in 3rd still(put it back in neutral when towing) and we tried 2nd as well, same thing no engagement from the clutch. Is this just a simple clutch failure or is there something else I should be on the lookout for? And if it is the clutch, since my car is turbo'd I want a fairly decent clutch put in(have a feeling it was already aftermarket before...) so any recommendations on that would be great. Hoping getting a job soon with a decent pay rate... Thanks Afterthought, anyone know where to score a cheap set of shift cables, <$160 at dealership...

Send a PM to stangmurdera. He parts 2gnt cars, great seller, and super quick with shipping!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7278 Previous topic | Next topic