Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1685
View in linear mode

Subject: "anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears" Previous topic | Next topic
jamesmanNov-04-03 09:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1685, "anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears"

Just wondering,
right now I have machined the splined gears to within .0005" parallel with the bearing surface and i might do the same with the other 2 gears. Then i was thinking of putting the real phantom grip into the diff. a quaife is just too uncalled for with regards to price. I can't justify spending 1000 bucks for a tranny I bought for 150. So I thought this was the best thing. any info would be appreciated.

lates
james

Rest In Peace Heidi Doggy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears, Chamuko, Nov-04-03 02:09 PM, #1
RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears, JustOne, Nov-04-03 08:50 PM, #2
      RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears, jamesman, Nov-05-03 04:48 AM, #3
           RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears, TeamMichael_97RS, Nov-05-03 09:08 AM, #4
           RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears, Chamuko, Nov-05-03 11:02 AM, #5
                RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears, jamesman, Nov-05-03 01:31 PM, #6
                     RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears, Chamuko, Nov-05-03 08:15 PM, #
                     RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears, Chamuko, Nov-05-03 08:15 PM, #7
           RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears, JustOne, Nov-05-03 08:46 PM, #8
RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears, TalonSpeed, Nov-06-03 05:26 PM, #9

ChamukoNov-04-03 02:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1686, "RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears"
In response to Reply # 0

are you doing the work yourself or getting it done for cheap?
I qould go for the retrofit for 100 bucks more then the PG and have them do the machine work for you

Just a thought, Then again you probably know more then I do

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JustOneNov-04-03 08:50 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#1689, "RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears"
In response to Reply # 1

When I had the pg in my car I had to take it down some to get the thing actually in. I only did the two small ones. Had zero problems.

jamesmanNov-05-03 04:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#1690, "RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears"
In response to Reply # 2

I have access to my own machine shop and qualified machinists. Therefore, I can get all my machining done for free and with immediate turn around, I mean literally like 30 minutes.
Brian, with the PG you had to actually remove some material from the 2 small gears! Do you know how much you had to remove. Also, being that that that sid piece of crap blows up, have you had any problems with the phantom grip? I think the construction of the PG is much better being that it is simpler and made of the correct materials. I was reading PG's site and they were stating that there is a need for .005 inch clearance between the pg and the small gears so i guess you would have to machine it to fit.

thanks
James

TeamMichael_97RSNov-05-03 09:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1693, "RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by jamesman
I think the construction of the PG is much better being that it is simpler and made of the correct materials.

I wouldn't go that far. Aluminum is a softer metal which means it's more suseptable to wear. The retrofit has friction material and is custom built to each diff.

http://www.exileracing.com
una salus victus
Mods List: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

ChamukoNov-05-03 11:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#1694, "RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears"
In response to Reply # 4
Nov-05-03 11:04 AM by Chamuko

Originally posted by Michael_97RS
Originally posted by jamesman I think the construction of the PG is much better being that it is simpler and made of the correct materials.
I wouldn't go that far. Aluminum is a softer metal which means it's more suseptable to wear. The retrofit has friction material and is custom built to each diff. http://www.exileracing.com una salus victus Mods List: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

I think he was not talking bad about the retrofit, He was looking down ( to put it nicely) on the SID.

Damn James, Hook it up ! I might need some machining. Also, We need to talk *-injector setup ish

Member # 751

(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

jamesmanNov-05-03 01:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#1697, "RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears"
In response to Reply # 5

Hehe,
for your information the PG is made from hardended steel. The stupid newschool sid was made of aluminum and steel from what I have seen. I made no reference to the retrofit lsd. That unit is pretty well designed but it is more money than I want to spend.

late
james

ChamukoNov-05-03 08:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#1698, "RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears"

^ thats what I said....uhm meant

Member # 751

ChamukoNov-05-03 08:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#1699, "RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears"
In response to Reply # 6
Nov-05-03 08:16 PM by Chamuko

damn, stupid wireless mouse...som ma ma bis

Member # 751

JustOneNov-05-03 08:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#1700, "RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by jamesman
Brian, with the PG you had to actually remove some material from the 2 small gears! Do you know how much you had to remove. Also, being that that that sid piece of crap blows up, have you had any problems with the phantom grip? I think the construction of the PG is much better being that it is simpler and made of the correct materials. I was reading PG's site and they were stating that there is a need for .005 inch clearance between the pg and the small gears so i guess you would have to machine it to fit. thanks James

Yes, I did have to get the gears taken down to get it to fit right. Unfortunately I don’t remember how much. I have been running the Quaife for a year or so now but when I had the PG in I had no problems w/ it. I ran the PG for like 8 months or so w/ absolutely no problems. A friend of mine has sense them put it in his car and hasn’t had any trouble w/ it either.

TalonSpeedNov-06-03 05:26 PM
Member since Oct 15th 2002
446 posts,
#1706, "RE: anyone using the phantom grip with the ridge machined off the diff gears"
In response to Reply # 0

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1685 Previous topic | Next topic