Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1653
View in linear mode

Subject: "F5mc1 transmission question" Previous topic | Next topic
Flyin_MonkeyOct-29-03 04:14 PM
Member since Jun 02nd 2003
15 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1653, "F5mc1 transmission question"

Hi,

I'm getting a "dry bushing" noise from my transmission when I idle and the car is in neutral. It dies out when I push the clutch pedal all the way in. Is it the input shaft bearing or the throwout bearing? I guess I should ask if anyone has nad this problem before first. If it is the input shaft bearing, how involved is a rebuild if I buy the kit from a vendor.. say KDS or equivalent. help, it's urgent, this is my daily driver, and I can't afford to be without it.

I should add that the transmission is fine on lubricant (Redline) and the car has 120,000+ miles on it with no other problems thus far.

Thanks,
Andy in NM.

The Talon was just one in a looooong string of cars. I do miss it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: F5mc1 transmission question, lickscissors, Oct-29-03 04:28 PM, #1
RE: F5mc1 transmission question, Administratoradmin2, Oct-30-03 07:19 AM, #2
      RE: F5mc1 transmission question, zhr420, Oct-30-03 07:36 AM, #3
           RE: F5mc1 transmission question, Flyin_Monkey, Oct-31-03 07:44 AM, #4
                RE: F5mc1 transmission question, deadfish39, Nov-02-03 06:44 PM, #5
                     RE: F5mc1 transmission question, Flyin_Monkey, Nov-02-03 08:31 PM, #6
                          RE: F5mc1 transmission question, deadfish39, Nov-03-03 05:51 PM, #7
                               RE: F5mc1 transmission question, Flyin_Monkey, Nov-04-03 06:53 AM, #8
                                    RE: F5mc1 transmission question, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-04-03 07:22 AM, #9
                                         RE: F5mc1 transmission question, Chamuko, Nov-04-03 02:13 PM, #10
                                              RE: F5mc1 transmission question, Flyin_Monkey, Nov-05-03 08:18 AM, #11
RE: F5mc1 transmission question, Flyin_Monkey, Nov-11-03 08:07 AM, #12

lickscissorsOct-29-03 04:28 PM
Member since May 07th 2003
1206 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1654, "RE: F5mc1 transmission question"
In response to Reply # 0

if it makes a sort of grinding/squeeling/rattling noise, and goes away when you push in the clutch, or after the car warms up, more than likely its your throw out bearing.....they're about $30 and you have to pull the tranny or engine to get to it....i have had this problem and its a pretty common problem

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Administratoradmin2Oct-30-03 07:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
543 posts,
#1655, "RE: F5mc1 transmission question"
In response to Reply # 1

You are using the wrong fluid, for one. Do not run anything other than factory fluid in the NV-T350 (F5MC1).

it's probably just the TO bearing. The dying out is likely not related to the trans.

The input shaft bearing is not rebuildable, just buy a new one. They're about $45. You have to drop the trans, open the case, hammer or press the old one out, and hammer or press the new one in.

zhr420Oct-30-03 07:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
557 posts,
#1656, "RE: F5mc1 transmission question"
In response to Reply # 2

while the trany is out might as well replace the rear main seal, ur car has alot of miles it would be a good time to replace it.
its around 15 bucks and takes one minute to install.
later
"Z"

Flyin_MonkeyOct-31-03 07:44 AM
15 posts,
#1663, "RE: F5mc1 transmission question"
In response to Reply # 3

That was on my list too. Rear main seal, both driveline seals, and if necessary, but hopefully not, the clutch.

deadfish39Nov-02-03 06:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
35 posts,
#1676, "RE: F5mc1 transmission question"
In response to Reply # 4

I have the same noise coming from my transmission. The only thing is i just bought the freakin thing. Since i cracked the housing on my previous tranny. The place that found the transmission for me said that it was completely rebuilt but there was a little bit of noise coming from it when at idle. They also said the guy replaced every part in the transmission he couldnt find out what it was but they said it runs fine. From my experience its really loud when i first turn it on. the noise goes away after like 10 or 15 minutes of driving also it goes away when i hit the clutch. DO YOU guys think its the same problem for me? the throw out bearing

Flyin_MonkeyNov-02-03 08:31 PM
15 posts,
#1677, "RE: F5mc1 transmission question"
In response to Reply # 5

Well, It's not the throw-out bearing. I just got done with a couple wonderful days under my car getting showered with road grime and tranny fluid... yeah, it was great. I fixed the bearing, (and the axle seals and the rear main)... but the noise came back, the very next start :|. I can hear a noise from the front of the transmission which seems to be most pronounced as the engine slows down, while sitting in neutral. I don't think it's affecting the running of the car. Well, I guess I'll just keep an ear open, and keep everybody up to date. On to the next project.

deadfish39Nov-03-03 05:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
35 posts,
#1680, "RE: F5mc1 transmission question"
In response to Reply # 6

Oh ok i wasnt to sure if it was the throw out bearing since i had it replaced 10,000 miles ago when i got the clutch replaced. Thats the same thing that I was told, that the noise doesnt effect the running of the car but id like to know what it is, it kinda gets annoying riding around with that noise in your ear no what i mean? keep me posted thx

Flyin_MonkeyNov-04-03 06:53 AM
15 posts,
#1683, "RE: F5mc1 transmission question"
In response to Reply # 7

I will definitely keep you up on the situation. I think it's just a design flaw in the transmission, maybe a poorly seated bearing on one of the shafts or a tolerance issure in the gears. It doesn't seem to affect my driving either.

Andy.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-04-03 07:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1684, "RE: F5mc1 transmission question"
In response to Reply # 8

These transaxles are typically noisy.

Did you use the correct fluid this time?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

ChamukoNov-04-03 02:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#1687, "RE: F5mc1 transmission question"
In response to Reply # 9

all stock clutches?

just finished reading this ...

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=1646&mesg_id=1646&page=

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Flyin_MonkeyNov-05-03 08:18 AM
15 posts,
#1692, "RE: F5mc1 transmission question"
In response to Reply # 10

I do have the stock clutch, but after reading that post, I may just change. Can a person customise the flywheel/plate combination pretty freely?

Flyin_MonkeyNov-11-03 08:07 AM
15 posts,
#1733, "RE: F5mc1 transmission question"
In response to Reply # 0

Well,

I put $45 into new fluid, and the noise is all but gone.. in fact the transmission is so quiet, it sounds new.. Thanks for the help everybody.

Andy in NM

-------------------------------------------------
The Talon, Just one in a looooong string of cars.
-------------------------------------------------

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1653 Previous topic | Next topic