Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1563
View in linear mode

Subject: "tranny rebuild..." Previous topic | Next topic
Dave_FLOct-14-03 03:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1563, "tranny rebuild..."

Well I may have to do this in the near future if I keep running high boost like I am right now. My tranny isnt sounding to great. It wines a bit and when idling it makes a lot of sound when the clutch is not pressed in. I also grind some gears sometimes when driving hard. So I guess I have 2 options....

1. rebuild the tranny

2. get a new tranny

Which should I do and how much am I looking at in $$$?

Dave
05 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: tranny rebuild..., whodatt1, Oct-15-03 10:17 AM, #1
RE: tranny rebuild..., grain, Oct-15-03 10:38 AM, #2
RE: tranny rebuild..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-15-03 10:44 AM, #3
      RE: tranny rebuild..., Initial DSM, Oct-16-03 05:19 AM, #4
           RE: tranny rebuild..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-16-03 06:09 AM, #5
           RE: tranny rebuild..., Dave_FL, Oct-18-03 03:52 AM, #6
                RE: tranny rebuild..., Administratoradmin2, Oct-20-03 07:00 AM, #7
           RE: tranny rebuild..., Ozzmosis86, Oct-20-03 09:56 AM, #8
                RE: tranny rebuild..., MCubed45, Oct-23-03 12:25 AM, #9
                     RE: tranny rebuild..., Ozzmosis86, Oct-24-03 11:49 AM, #12
RE: tranny rebuild..., Ozzmosis86, Oct-24-03 11:48 AM, #11
RE: tranny rebuild..., Twiste, Oct-23-03 02:53 AM, #10

whodatt1Oct-15-03 10:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2531 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1566, "RE: tranny rebuild..."
In response to Reply # 0

I would not trust a rebuilt tranny too much.. you could buy a SOHC 3.55 neon tranny. it will give you a bit taller gearing, i think you can find those for about $300 -$400. when my tranny broke i replaced it another nv-t350 tranny and it cost me $750 I looked on line and locally for a cheaper one.. i could not find a cheaper one that would ship here. Good luck.

-97 GS (First project, 299 whp)(sold)
- 97 RS 2.6 last numbers: 306hp, 352tq @16psi (Dead, parted out)
- 99 GS OZ, Hahn Kit, 56k miles (Sold)
--------
- 00 Nissan Maxima GLE (Daily Driver)
- 02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

grainOct-15-03 10:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#1567, "RE: tranny rebuild..."
In response to Reply # 1

i would buy the sohc neon tranny like ^^^^ said, and make sure you have a nice lsd to go in with it.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-15-03 10:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1568, "RE: tranny rebuild..."
In response to Reply # 2

Jeez.. you guys pay way too much for a trans. I paid $325 for my last one out the door.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Initial DSMOct-16-03 05:19 AM
Member since Sep 23rd 2003
2833 posts,
#1580, "RE: tranny rebuild..."
In response to Reply # 3

Was it new or used? If I got another tranny, I would want it new, especially with those above mods. Forwardmotion.com sell neon trannys with the Quaife LSD. They even sell the SRT-4 tranny with LSD, which they say will bolt up and is much stronger as well as taller gears. You will prolly need to and should anyway, get custom axles from driveshaftshop.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-16-03 06:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1581, "RE: tranny rebuild..."
In response to Reply # 4

it is suprisingly hard to kill these transaxles. Even if you buy them used, typically they are pristine on the inside of the case. Also, if you know what to look for, it is every easy to tear them down and inspect them for wear.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Dave_FLOct-18-03 03:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
#1594, "RE: tranny rebuild..."
In response to Reply # 5

I wish I could get one for $325. Where did you get your Dino?

Dave
05 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4

Administratoradmin2Oct-20-03 07:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
543 posts,
#1609, "RE: tranny rebuild..."
In response to Reply # 6

Local boneyard. Just called around for a few days, looking for the place with the cheapest trans...

Ozzmosis86Oct-20-03 09:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
549 posts,
#1612, "RE: tranny rebuild..."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Initial DSM
Was it new or used? If I got another tranny, I would want it new, especially with those above mods. Forwardmotion.com sell neon trannys with the Quaife LSD. They even sell the SRT-4 tranny with LSD, which they say will bolt up and is much stronger as well as taller gears. You will prolly need to and should anyway, get custom axles from driveshaftshop.

I don't believe that www.forwardmotion.com sells trannys. I looked at it and I think it was some kind of a fitness site. Please let me know the web address to the place that sells the 3.55 neon trannys with a Quaife LSD.

Thanks,

andy

MCubed45Oct-23-03 12:25 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#1617, "RE: tranny rebuild..."
In response to Reply # 8

www.fowardmotioninc.com

-marc

='95 RS 5spd Red=
Matrix TypeX CAI
A'pexi Turbo N1
Nakayama GT5 17's
Ractive STB
GSX Calipers
AEM 12.5" X-Drilled/Slotted Rotors

255 is fricken short

Ozzmosis86Oct-24-03 11:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
549 posts,
#1636, "RE: tranny rebuild..."
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by MCubed45
www.fowardmotioninc.com -marc ='95 RS 5spd Red= Matrix TypeX CAI A'pexi Turbo N1 Nakayama GT5 17's Ractive STB GSX Calipers AEM 12.5" X-Drilled/Slotted Rotors 255 is fricken short

The page won't load.

Check out my homepage:
http://www.geocities.com/ozzmosis86/Home.htm

and my pics page:
http://community.webshots.com/album/95705837hSPLvt

Ozzmosis86Oct-24-03 11:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
549 posts,
#1635, "RE: tranny rebuild..."
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by whodatt1
I would not trust a rebuilt tranny too much.. you could buy a SOHC 3.55 neon tranny. it will give you a bit taller gearing, i think you can find those for about $300 -$400. when my tranny broke i replaced it another nv-t350 tranny and it cost me $750 I looked on line and locally for a cheaper one.. i could not find a cheaper one that would ship here. Good luck.

What is the advantage of the Neon 3.55 tranny? It would make your car loose acceleration, and gain on the top end. Does anyone feel that their top end is lacking? Are the 3.55 trannys any stronger or more reliable? I haven't seen any convincing arguments that would make me want to go with a 3.55 tranny. Tall gearing will get you better gas milage, but would lower your acceleration. Is the 5th gear on the 3.55 tranny any different than ours, or is it just the final drive? If 5th gear is geared taller, but would still be compatable in our trannys I would be interested in that. Keep my accereration in 1st through 4th and have a nice cruising gear. Please point me to some more info on this, I am very interested.

Thanks,

Andy
MonteSS86@hotmail.com

Check out my homepage:
http://www.geocities.com/ozzmosis86/Home.htm

and my pics page:
http://community.webshots.com/album/95705837hSPLvt

TwisteOct-23-03 02:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2644 posts,
#1618, "RE: tranny rebuild..."
In response to Reply # 0

so, the neon trans. does fit? or only the 3.55?

2003 Acura RSX Type-S
15.042 @ 93.06
Devon
Creator of one of the longest and most controversial posts in 2gnt history...
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=38&topic_id=112462&mesg_id=112462&page=

Originally posted by KaptainMyke
this is the greatest topic posting i have ever seen, in my entire life on the internet.

great story
great attempt at racism
dino goes batshit
i spilt my juice
i can't see my keyboard to type

this is great.

Originally posted by nappyjim
make sure you let her know what the dillyo is. just tell her you was the peanut butter and she was the jelly and that night, God decided to make a peanut butter n jelly sandwhich. But let her know God dont eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches everyday.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1563 Previous topic | Next topic