Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1437
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is this clutch chatter going to be a problem?" Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseRSTSep-17-03 05:31 PM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
5394 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1437, "Is this clutch chatter going to be a problem?"

(Background info - Just had my modular stage 3 SPEC clutch installed and I'm a couple hundred miles into break-in)

I've heard two different explanations as to exactly what clutch chatter is. Some have said it's a sound, which I have not experienced so far with my new clutch, but others said it's when the clutch sort of "chatters" together and makes the car stutter. Well I'm DEFINITELY experiencing this and I don't want it to become a problem with breaking stuff. My car stutters very badly through low rpms in first gear when slipping the clutch and I'm seriously afraid I'm going to bust a motor mount or bend/crack my downpipe or something. When is this crap going to go away, and is it normal to be this stuttery? (<- is that a word?)

HAVE: '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Is this clutch chatter going to be a problem?, TeamXtremeRS, Sep-18-03 09:29 AM, #1
RE: Is this clutch chatter going to be a problem?, EclipseRST, Sep-18-03 05:20 PM, #2
      RE: Is this clutch chatter going to be a problem?, TeamXtremeRS, Sep-20-03 04:27 AM, #3
           RE: Is this clutch chatter going to be a problem?, EclipseRST, Sep-20-03 07:21 AM, #4
                RE: Is this clutch chatter going to be a problem?, Jasvb TS2K2, Sep-20-03 08:01 PM, #5
                     RE: Is this clutch chatter going to be a problem?, WickedESi, Sep-25-03 11:26 AM, #6

TeamXtremeRSSep-18-03 09:29 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1439, "RE: Is this clutch chatter going to be a problem?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes, you are experiencing clutch chatter, and its is normal. It should get better over time, usually within 500 miles or so. Also, I would bleed the entire clutch system, just to be sure no air is in it, and you have fresh, new fluid. If the car is really, really studdering hard, try using more rpm when slipping the clutch to get moving. That may help. Just try not to slip the hell out of it..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EclipseRSTSep-18-03 05:20 PM
5394 posts,
#1441, "RE: Is this clutch chatter going to be a problem?"
In response to Reply # 1

Alright, that helps a bit. I either have to start out reving to 2k to go or start out really slowly at half a mile an hour but the studdering is down. Thanks as usual dude

However, a new problem now...my car wouldn't go into gear tonight when I had the clutch pressed in all the way I had to release it and try again. This never happened before, even with my crappy clutch. It wasn't a big deal but I feel like I paid $400 for new problems.

TeamXtremeRSSep-20-03 04:27 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1447, "RE: Is this clutch chatter going to be a problem?"
In response to Reply # 2

Have you bled the clutch system yet? That may help both of those issues some..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

EclipseRSTSep-20-03 07:21 AM
5394 posts,
#1448, "RE: Is this clutch chatter going to be a problem?"
In response to Reply # 3

I didn't do the install. I'll ask the shop.

Jasvb TS2K2Sep-20-03 08:01 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2002
1419 posts,
#1452, "RE: Is this clutch chatter going to be a problem?"
In response to Reply # 4

When I first noticed it I too thought something was major wrong. When I took it to the shop that did the work, all they could tell me for a $75 charge was that something was very wrong and that both tires didn't spin together. Later I would know that was the one wheel spins we all know about. Then I took to a few other shops and none could tell me what it was without opening the tranny at a cost of starting labor of $300. I passed and decided to take my chances. Well I drove the car like that from July-April till I got my PG LSD. That took the chatter away about 90%. But I didn't have any major damage cause by the chatter, if that is what you are worried about. I think it's more of am annoying issue than a working issue of the clutch.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jasvbts2k2
"The ONLY Honda I'd mod would be ASIMO"

WickedESiSep-25-03 11:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#1466, "RE: Is this clutch chatter going to be a problem?"
In response to Reply # 5

Umm... that one wheel spin is just how a open differential works, that shop that you gave $75 is FUBAR.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1437 Previous topic | Next topic