Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1202
View in linear mode

Subject: "Modular to non-modular help......." Previous topic | Next topic
StraussAug-12-03 11:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
953 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1202, "Modular to non-modular help......."

Like the title says, I want to convert to a non-modular clutch. What all is needed? I know I'll need a new clutch and flywheel....but I need to know everything I'll need. Thanks guys.....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Modular to non-modular help......., TeamAvenger, Aug-12-03 01:17 PM, #1
RE: Modular to non-modular help......., TeamXtremeRS, Aug-12-03 04:55 PM, #2
      RE: Modular to non-modular help......., TeamAvenger, Aug-13-03 05:18 AM, #3
           RE: Modular to non-modular help......., Matt_95tgs, Aug-13-03 06:44 AM, #4
                RE: Modular to non-modular help......., TeamXtremeRS, Aug-13-03 09:10 AM, #5
                     RE: Modular to non-modular help......., TeamAvenger, Aug-13-03 09:56 AM, #6
                          RE: Modular to non-modular help......., TeamXtremeRS, Aug-13-03 12:58 PM, #7

TeamAvengerAug-12-03 01:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1203, "RE: Modular to non-modular help......."
In response to Reply # 0

Personally I would get a rebuildable modular setup like Matt_t95gs. It's basically your standard clutch that bolts to a flywheel without starter teeth that bolts to you flexplate. It makes removal much easier but allows rebuilding. Howell sells clutches that use the Fidanza flywheel with no starter teeth.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamXtremeRSAug-12-03 04:55 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1208, "RE: Modular to non-modular help......."
In response to Reply # 1
Aug-12-03 04:57 PM by XtremeRS

Or you can do what i did. Took a modular stock clutch, drilled out the rivits, resurfaced the pressure plate and flywheel, and had a custom 6 puck ceramic facing disk made up. Then used some grade 8.8 bolts to now bolt it all together. Or if you want a clutch to hold some serious amounts of power, use the same clutch disk(ceramic), with an upgraded pressure plate from Clutchmasters, or Spec. Both of these companies just use re-worked stock Luk or Sachs pressure plates, the same ones we have as modular units. It works really well, and is MUCH cheaper than forking over 500+ for a new modular clutch, and is now, the disk is fully replaceable. My ONLY fear with the reworked "modular" setup, is the strength and integrity of the flexplate. I'm just not sure how much power and abuse that thing can take before breakage..thats the only downfall of this setup over a true non modular setup..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

TeamAvengerAug-13-03 05:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#1210, "RE: Modular to non-modular help......."
In response to Reply # 2

If the concern is the strength of the flexplate (which I don't think should be too bad because the HRC eclipse should still be using its flexplate) there is a flexplate upgrade that howell sells (among other people) that should be pretty beefy.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

Matt_95tgsAug-13-03 06:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#1211, "RE: Modular to non-modular help......."
In response to Reply # 3

Does anyone ELSE sell it?

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

TeamXtremeRSAug-13-03 09:10 AM
6329 posts,
#1214, "RE: Modular to non-modular help......."
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah, is this a howell only item, or is this a company that makes them, that might be avaialbe somewhere else, maybe i can get it from my shop..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

TeamAvengerAug-13-03 09:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#1215, "RE: Modular to non-modular help......."
In response to Reply # 5
Aug-13-03 10:18 AM by Avenger

I have seen it sold elsewhere ... I don't remember where though. I will look and see what I can find.

**Edit ...

Here you go.

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/performanceauto_neonfly.html

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

TeamXtremeRSAug-13-03 12:58 PM
6329 posts,
#1217, "RE: Modular to non-modular help......."
In response to Reply # 6

sweeetttt! you da man! I wonder with that being thicker, if that will throw off the clutch pedal engagement point? I guess if its not that much thicker that wont be a problem. It would move the entire cluch assembly outward a bit?

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1202 Previous topic | Next topic