Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #931
View in linear mode

Subject: "I am confused about flywheel/flexplate" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Jul-01-03 09:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#931, "I am confused about flywheel/flexplate"

So we pulled my MT and I have a nice PT Cruiser clutch to go back in this week sometime. I have a 97, so I know it's the modular one, but I'm curious why you can't get a different flywheel without converting to a non-modular clutch.

I haven't actually looked at it since Sunday, but doesn't the starter engage the flywheel? (Chilton's calls it a "flex plate.") If that thing is separate from the clutch assy, why couldn't you just get a different one?

Enlighten me.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TeamJasonESi_TJul-01-03 09:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#932, "RE: I am confused about flywheel/flexplate"
In response to Reply # 0

>So we pulled my MT and I have a nice PT Cruiser clutch to go
>back in this week sometime. I have a 97, so I know it's the
>modular one, but I'm curious why you can't get a different
>flywheel without converting to a non-modular clutch.

It's not a nice little swap, because the pressure plate, and modular "flywheel" do not separate conventionally. They're all riveted together. Now, I have heard it's possible to swap out clutch disks and to retain the stock modular "flywheel" and modular pressure plate.

The reason why I continually use the quotations around the modular flywheel is because it's not really a conventional flywheel. It lacks starter teeth and it doesnt mate directly the the crank.

Check it out:
http://home.insightbb.com/~j.boltz/JasonESiT/Rebuild_Stuff_including_Flywheel_vs_non_mod_Flex_plate.html

>
>I hven't actually looked at it since Sunday, but doesn't the
>starter engage the flywheel?

No, the starter engages the flexplate.

(Chilton's calls it a "flex
>plate.") If that thing is separate from the clutch assy, why
>couldn't you just get a different one?

The flywheel and flexplate are two different things when modular clutchs are used. This topic has been discussed a great deal already though, and a quick SEARCH would probably saturate you with more information than you'd ever need.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665Jul-01-03 10:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#933, "RE: I am confused about flywheel/flexplate"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks a lot man! It's one of those things that popped into my head and I know there's pages upon pages of reading on this subject, but I just didn't want to research it so in depth this afternoon. I appreciate the info a lot.

TeamXtremeRSJul-01-03 06:27 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#934, "RE: I am confused about flywheel/flexplate"
In response to Reply # 0

There is an alternative also, just as info. I am personally using a modular clutch, that is now bolted together, making replacement of the clutch disk possible. The modular clutch is rivited together normally, usualy meaning you have to replace the entire clutch assembly all at once, no replacing disks possible. But, I had my modular clutch built by a custom clutch builder, out in Lansing, MI. Basically what he did, was drill out the rivits, resurfaced the pressure plate and flywheel, and then used a custom built cermaic, 6 puck facing clutch disk. Then with the rivits drilled out, we just used bolts to bolt it together. We did run into a issue though. Using normal bolts, the heads of them were contacting the outer lip of the flexplate. We used allen head, grade 10.9 bolts. We then used a cut off wheel, to cut off part of the bolt head, to make clearance so it would not hit the flexplate. This clutch has worked excellent for me, and even with slight amounts of oil getting onto it (input seal is leaking), it still grabs hard as hell. A custom clutch like this, will be the about the same as a Clutchmaster's clutch, costing about HALF the price. And I still retain the flexplate(much easier to pull the tranny out the car with modular), and now have the benifit of replaceing my clutch disk.

Ok like Jason has mentioned:

mod clutches use a flywheel that has NO starter teeth on them. The entire clutch assembly: Flywheel, disk, and pressure plate, are all rivited together. We use a separate flexplate that bolts to the crank, that has starter teeth on it, and then the mod clutch assm bolts to that.

Non modular clutches have NO flexplate. These clutches are BOLTED together, and the starter teeth are on the flywheel.

I really believe Mitsu/Chrysler did the modular clutch setup with flexplate, to make pulling the transmission out MUCH easier. This way, you dont have to slide over the trans a whole lot to get the trans to drop down. If you are using a non mod clutch, where the flywheel bolts to the crank, then it makes it much more difficult to pull the tranny. Something to keep in mind if you really want to go with a non modular aftermarket clutch, or the 95 Neon flywheel route (they were non modular that year)

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #931 Previous topic | Next topic