Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #809
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rebuilt engine, now AT tranny won't shift?" Previous topic | Next topic
SirYoinkMay-03-03 08:40 AM
Member since Apr 28th 2003
4 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#809, "Rebuilt engine, now AT tranny won't shift?"

I just purchased a 95 Eclipse GS that had engine problems. The engine was taken out and completely rebuilt, its like a new motor now. But when I put it back in, now the car won't shift?!? It was shifting normally before the motor was taken out. (Well... when/if you could get the car started, it shifted normal)

The transmission is the stock 4sp auto. It's probably something that needs to be adjusted or a sensor that might be unplugged? Any thoughts/suggestions?

It's at my father's garage right now, but he wants to hook a computerized system up to it to check it and won't be able to do that till Monday.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

babybeclipseMay-05-03 10:08 AM
Member since Mar 01st 2002
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#810, "RE: Rebuilt engine, now AT tranny won't shift?"
In response to Reply # 0

sounds like something isn't hooked up to me. Take it back and have them check it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Joe B SlowMay-05-03 11:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#811, "RE: Rebuilt engine, now AT tranny won't shift?"
In response to Reply # 1

"Take it back and have them check it."

"But when I put it back in, now the car won't shift?!? "

Dunno what good taking it back to himself would do:). Unless he meant "I" as in him taking it to a shop

So the car will go into D? Or will it just spin like it's in N?

Do you mean it will take off in 1st but wont go to 2nd/3rd/4th? Or wont shift at all, period?

Did you take out the transmission to install the engine? Theres a sensor box i believe on the very front of hte A604, check to make sure everythings ok there. Theres also the shifter, dunno why that woulda been messed with but thats up there too. Does it have fluid in it? Wont shit without fluid. Umm...Was the torque converter put back in jk lol Lots of things to check man be more specific about what its doing Hit me up on aol at brohymn411 if you want, ill see what I can do by what ya tell me.

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

amljbsMay-05-03 12:44 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#812, "RE: Rebuilt engine, now AT tranny won't shift?"
In response to Reply # 2

if the speedo is working then its prolly the input sensor is out but if the speedo isnt working then its prolly the output sensor. Both of these would cause the exact problem your talking about. They are the two things that look like plastic spark plugs screwed into the tranny.

1998 Eclipse GST

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #809 Previous topic | Next topic