Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #555
View in linear mode

Subject: "Line Lock?" Previous topic | Next topic
DirtyApr-07-03 04:34 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#555, "Line Lock?"

An earlier post reminded me of this. I know nobody here has tried a line lock yet and I can't say I've ever used them on any of the cars I've had before, but..........do you guys think it might help? I'm thinking since we can only rev so high while powerbraking, if the brakes could hold long enough for us to get higher RPMs this might be an alternative for a high stall TQ converter.

If none of this makes since, I have been smoking alot tonight so please forgive me. This shit happens.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Line Lock?, mcgyvr, Apr-08-03 04:57 AM, #1
RE: Line Lock?, mcgyvr, Apr-08-03 05:08 AM, #2
      RE: Line Lock?, Dirty, Apr-08-03 11:34 AM, #3
RE: Line Lock?, whiz, Apr-15-03 05:12 PM, #4
RE: Line Lock?, The1Bill, Apr-19-03 01:08 AM, #5
RE: Line Lock?, 9D9 MITSU RS, May-15-03 09:51 AM, #6
      RE: Line Lock?, TeamMichael_97RS, May-15-03 10:09 AM, #7
           RE: Line Lock?, mcgyvr, May-16-03 04:51 AM, #8
                RE: Line Lock?, Dirty, May-16-03 12:28 PM, #9

mcgyvrApr-08-03 04:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#562, "RE: Line Lock?"
In response to Reply # 0

you dont want it, you can already hold the brakes all the way to your stalll speed so a line lock wont do a thing for you, now if you had a 3500 stall TQ then yes,but on a stock TQ it wont do a thing

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mcgyvrApr-08-03 05:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#563, "RE: Line Lock?"
In response to Reply # 1

you also seem to have a misconception of what stall speed is

a torque convertor stall speed should match where your car is making the most torque. So say your car is making most of its torque at 3200 rpms, then typically you want a TC with a stall speed of 3200.

The way to test what your stall speed is now is to go from a dead stop and just hammer it, if your looking at your tach you will see it jump to the stall speed of your TQ. <--thats the correct way to determine your stall speed

Stock for stock the TQ has a set stall speed, but in reality once you start making more power your stall speed has actually changed. Some cam makers will actually tell you what your stall speed should be matched with their cam.

But you should never try to see the stall speed by holding down the gas and the brake andseeing where the rpms stop at, thats VERY bad for your tranny <-thats called brake stall and is bad to do for more than a couple seconds

Mods are:
Not enough

DirtyApr-08-03 11:34 AM
1405 posts,
#566, "RE: Line Lock?"
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-08-03 11:35 AM by Dirty

^^^^^Some nights are more fun than others^^^^^
The night this was posted was one of those nights!

From now on beware of It means it's on of those nights.

"Natty Ride"

whizApr-15-03 05:12 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
15 posts,
#663, "RE: Line Lock?"
In response to Reply # 0

This is where automatics use transbrakes instead of line locks. If I'm not mistaken a transbrake will lock the tranny from moving you hold the brake and rev, when at your appropriate revs (or christmas tree drops whichever may be first) you release the trans brake and viola instant power to tranny. I may be wrong but in my mustang days (still own it dont shoot me) i looked into converting to auto for a turbo setup.... the tranny i was looking into came with the transbrake.

Asa side note this is not exactly going to add to the longivity of your tranny BUT GOD WOULD'NT IT BE FUN FOR A LIL WHILE

87 TII

Wife has the GS

The1BillApr-19-03 01:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#712, "RE: Line Lock?"
In response to Reply # 4

A Transbrake works on some transmissions, engaging 1st and reverse at the same time. The car doesn't move, but when you release the transbrake, reverse disengages (wonder if you could make 1st disengage... hrmmm... fun backward launching...).
Yeah, I don't think that the A604 does that.
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

9D9 MITSU RSMay-15-03 09:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#861, "RE: Line Lock?"
In response to Reply # 4

>This is where automatics use transbrakes instead of line
>locks. If I'm not mistaken a transbrake will lock the tranny
>from moving you hold the brake and rev, when at your
>appropriate revs (or christmas tree drops whichever may be
>first) you release the trans brake and viola instant power to
>tranny. I may be wrong but in my mustang days (still own it
>dont shoot me) i looked into converting to auto for a turbo
>setup.... the tranny i was looking into came with the
>transbrake.
>
>Asa side note this is not exactly going to add to the
>longivity of your tranny BUT GOD WOULD'NT IT BE FUN FOR A LIL
>WHILE

sounds like a neutral drop equivalent to me.

TeamMichael_97RSMay-15-03 10:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#862, "RE: Line Lock?"
In response to Reply # 6

hmmm... line locks on FWD = parking brake.

A line lock is a mechanical brake on the non drive wheels, for RWD it locks the fronts, FWD would lock the rear, just use the parking brake.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Cams, Hooker Header, ERT/Catco Cat, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC

mcgyvrMay-16-03 04:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#889, "RE: Line Lock?"
In response to Reply # 7

>hmmm... line locks on FWD = parking brake.
>
>A line lock is a mechanical brake on the non drive wheels, for
>RWD it locks the fronts, FWD would lock the rear, just use the
>parking brake.

yes but typically a line lock uses more clamping force/pressure to really lock down the wheels from moving and hold your vehical in place, your parking brake CANT apply enough force to hold your car in place when reving, you would just be draggin the wheels behind you as you crept down the road/track

Mods are:
Not enough

DirtyMay-16-03 12:28 PM
1405 posts,
#894, "RE: Line Lock?"
In response to Reply # 8

The reason I was thining of a linelock was because we can only powerbrake so high before we start moving and I thought the linelock would let us get a little higher rpms before we launch.

So the answer is...............I'm wrong, right?

Here's another: How the hell can we build boost on the line if we can only powerbrake up to 2400rpm's or so. I've never owned an AT car with forced induction (I still don't, but will soon) so I have no clue.

"Natty Ride"

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #555 Previous topic | Next topic