Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4665
View in linear mode

Subject: "Weird stalling issue" Previous topic | Next topic
iamnotwhoiamJun-21-10 09:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4665, "Weird stalling issue"

Just got a "new" Talon ESi and it's got an Auto Trans. Strange thing is that i have been getting a cel that seems to be related to the Auto Transmission. The fluid looks good and full and it is shifting without any noticeable issues. What it keeps doing however is strange. It's a little random and will happen right after the car is started and sometimes while driving. When the rpms are low enough it will stall the engine and when driving it kind of stutters and i see the cel go off then back on.

I suspect a sensor somewhere or maybe even the TCU.

The cel code i got was 45 which states "eatx controller trouble code present"

I would need to get a transmission code reader or take it somewhere I suppose to find out what codes are present.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-23-10 02:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4666, "RE: Weird stalling issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by iamnotwhoiam
Just got a "new" Talon ESi and it's got an Auto Trans. Strange thing is that i have been getting a cel that seems to be related to the Auto Transmission. The fluid looks good and full and it is shifting without any noticeable issues. What it keeps doing however is strange. It's a little random and will happen right after the car is started and sometimes while driving. When the rpms are low enough it will stall the engine and when driving it kind of stutters and i see the cel go off then back on. I suspect a sensor somewhere or maybe even the TCU. The cel code i got was 45 which states "eatx controller trouble code present" I would need to get a transmission code reader or take it somewhere I suppose to find out what codes are present. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Well holy shit.

Blinking CEL is typically indicative of a misfire condition. First thing I'd do is read the code with an actual scan tool and see if you can figure out what's pissing it off. Several things that can cause issues on the a604...

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

iamnotwhoiamJun-23-10 05:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#4667, "RE: Weird stalling issue"
In response to Reply # 1

sup Dino!

well the stalling still happens randomly, but the CEL is gone for the last few days.

I searched some more and suspect it may be the crank position sensor.

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

iamnotwhoiamJun-25-10 10:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#4668, "RE: Weird stalling issue"
In response to Reply # 2

well it seems my trany may be toast!

slipping, noises, hard shifting... and i've only had it like 2 weeks!

grrrrrrrrr!

anyone in north Houston area that has a spare tranny?

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

iamnotwhoiamJun-28-10 08:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#4669, "RE: Weird stalling issue"
In response to Reply # 3

ok.. update

pulled the oil pan from the transmission and the fluid was nice and dirty.. like a brown red color. I found some odd "brown" flakes of some sort at the bottom.. I'll have a picture of that later.. hopefully it wasn't something important.

Replaced the oil filter and refilled it and even replaced the cooler someone installed, prior to my ownership, and installed a new "high performance" one in front of the condenser to help against the wonderful Texas heat.

Drove it and so far it's shifting without noises and fairly smooth. I am still having a random stall at idle which is annoying, but it may be a sensor somewhere that I haven't found. The CEL even went off this morning as I drove to work.

I am hopeful that this fixes my transmission for now so I can move on to other fun stuff.

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4665 Previous topic | Next topic