Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4635
View in linear mode

Subject: "99 GS ATX 1/4 mile " Previous topic | Next topic
red-cruzer99Apr-16-10 09:05 AM
Member since Mar 19th 2006
35 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4635, "99 GS ATX 1/4 mile "
Apr-16-10 09:06 AM by red-cruzer99

Hello 2gnt. After having my car smokey for several years I finally dropped some effort into performance in 2010, but I want a little more this year.

Basic bolt-on ATX 2.0's are notorious for running in the 17s, including mine. I just finished the engine rebuild, the car feels much peppier, but I feel how the auto tran holds back the potential of the rebuilt motor.

I now am considering doing modifications to the transmission. Have read up on the pros/cons about the Transgo shift kit and the Stratus final drive gear modifications.....(and additional tranny cooler, high stall torque converter).

**My question is, will installing the transgo shift kit/final drive gear LIKELY drop it into the 16s. Also auto 2.0s post your 1/4! Thanks!

99 GS auto
-Engine rebuild to stock
-UDP
-Intake
-Header
-High flow cat, 2.5 exhaust

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 99 GS ATX 1/4 mile , Moderatorxcasbonx, Apr-16-10 09:43 AM, #1
RE: 99 GS ATX 1/4 mile , red-cruzer99, Apr-19-10 09:19 AM, #2
      RE: 99 GS ATX 1/4 mile , Moderatorxcasbonx, Apr-21-10 08:29 AM, #3
           RE: 99 GS ATX 1/4 mile , red-cruzer99, Apr-22-10 12:29 PM, #4
                RE: 99 GS ATX 1/4 mile , Moderatorxcasbonx, Apr-23-10 07:04 AM, #5
                RE: 99 GS ATX 1/4 mile , Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-24-10 03:18 AM, #6
                RE: 99 GS ATX 1/4 mile , megaskillz, Apr-24-10 10:43 AM, #7

ModeratorxcasbonxApr-16-10 09:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4636, "RE: 99 GS ATX 1/4 mile "
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by red-cruzer99
**My question is, will installing the transgo shift kit/final drive gear LIKELY drop it into the 16s. Also auto 2.0s post your 1/4! Thanks! 99 GS auto -Engine rebuild to stock -UDP -Intake -Header -High flow cat, 2.5 exhaust

Probably. It's not going to make as much of a difference as you're hoping though. I used to run an ATX and it just sucks period. I installed the shift kit, tranny cooler, high stall torque converter, and the thing burned up in less than 6 months. The only mod I've heard good news with is the stratus final drive gear.

It might be worth considering a swap to a MTX in the future and you'll wonder why you didn't do that to begin with instead of dumping money into an ATX that's only going to hold you back.

Others may have different opinions, but that is mine on the auto tranny.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

red-cruzer99Apr-19-10 09:19 AM
35 posts,
#4640, "RE: 99 GS ATX 1/4 mile "
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by xcasbonx
Originally posted by red-cruzer99 **My question is, will installing the transgo shift kit/final drive gear LIKELY drop it into the 16s. Also auto 2.0s post your 1/4! Thanks! 99 GS auto -Engine rebuild to stock -UDP -Intake -Header -High flow cat, 2.5 exhaust
Probably. It's not going to make as much of a difference as you're hoping though. I used to run an ATX and it just sucks period. I installed the shift kit, tranny cooler, high stall torque converter, and the thing burned up in less than 6 months. The only mod I've heard good news with is the stratus final drive gear. It might be worth considering a swap to a MTX in the future and you'll wonder why you didn't do that to begin with instead of dumping money into an ATX that's only going to hold you back. Others may have different opinions, but that is mine on the auto tranny.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have also heard mixed reviews of some of the tranny mods. What did your car fun with the tranny work? Is the stratus final drive gear mod less invasive than the torque converter/shift kit?

ModeratorxcasbonxApr-21-10 08:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#4641, "RE: 99 GS ATX 1/4 mile "
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have also heard mixed reviews of some of the tranny mods. What did your car fun with the tranny work? Is the stratus final drive gear mod less invasive than the torque converter/shift kit?

I never did get a chance to take it to the track, even with all that work if I had to guess it would have still ran really high 16's at best.

There used to be a final drive gear writeup around here on the install process. Both mods are pretty thorough...but I'd have the say the final drive gears would be a bit easier compared to the shift kit. The shift kit requires you to pull out the valve body assembly and change out some seals and a few other things. There's a lot of parts you have to make sure go back where they belong. To get to the torque converter, you'd either have to pull the engine or the transmission to get to it.

red-cruzer99Apr-22-10 12:29 PM
35 posts,
#4643, "RE: 99 GS ATX 1/4 mile "
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for your reply.

I took this piece of sh!t to the track and it ran a 19.3 1/4 mile. UDP, 2.5 exhaust, basic seals rebuild, Octane booster, open throttle, a little help?? No, NOTHING.

Second time I ran a 19.8. On both runs I had a good r/t, had O/D off, left it in D. I stopped running it after 2 goes so I wouldn't dip into the 20s

I am pretty sure I am not spending another dime on performance on this car, and if there are any auto 2gnt'ers reading this: AUTO 420As SUCK, SAVE YOUR MONEY/TIME!

Engine bolt-ons / auto tranny mods = 17s or 18s 1/4 mile ???

Turbo = 15s or 16s 1/4 miles ???

I got this car when I was 16 and thought I was getting a Mitsubishi. I remember how robbed I felt when I realized I had a piece of sh!t Chrysler motor.

I am just going to drive slow and keep her looking pretty and bumpin'

Farewell 2gnt!!!

ModeratorxcasbonxApr-23-10 07:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#4645, "RE: 99 GS ATX 1/4 mile "
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks for your reply. I took this piece of sh!t to the track and it ran a 19.3 1/4 mile. UDP, 2.5 exhaust, basic seals rebuild, Octane booster, open throttle, a little help?? No, NOTHING. Second time I ran a 19.8. On both runs I had a good r/t, had O/D off, left it in D. I stopped running it after 2 goes so I wouldn't dip into the 20s I am pretty sure I am not spending another dime on performance on this car, and if there are any auto 2gnt'ers reading this: AUTO 420As SUCK, SAVE YOUR MONEY/TIME! Engine bolt-ons / auto tranny mods = 17s or 18s 1/4 mile ??? Turbo = 15s or 16s 1/4 miles ??? I got this car when I was 16 and thought I was getting a Mitsubishi. I remember how robbed I felt when I realized I had a piece of sh!t Chrysler motor. I am just going to drive slow and keep her looking pretty and bumpin' Farewell 2gnt!!!

Whoa whoa...don't give up hope yet. Your car has plenty of potential for whatever it is you want it to do. As I stated previously, and if you're serious about working on your car...look into a conversion to a manual transmission. There's plenty of info abroad on this site and we're here to help you along the way.

You put a MTX in that car and go to the track and as long as you can drive halfway decent...you'll be in the mid 16's.

ModeratorbullettdsmApr-24-10 03:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#4646, "RE: 99 GS ATX 1/4 mile "
In response to Reply # 4

and if there are any auto 2gnt'ers reading this: AUTO 420As SUCK, SAVE YOUR MONEY/TIME!

Hmm, don't MAKE me start running an auto in the race car.......

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

megaskillzApr-24-10 10:43 AM
Member since Oct 12th 2008
105 posts,
#4647, "RE: 99 GS ATX 1/4 mile "
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks for your reply. I took this piece of sh!t to the track and it ran a 19.3 1/4 mile. UDP, 2.5 exhaust, basic seals rebuild, Octane booster, open throttle, a little help?? No, NOTHING. Second time I ran a 19.8. On both runs I had a good r/t, had O/D off, left it in D. I stopped running it after 2 goes so I wouldn't dip into the 20s I am pretty sure I am not spending another dime on performance on this car, and if there are any auto 2gnt'ers reading this: AUTO 420As SUCK, SAVE YOUR MONEY/TIME! Engine bolt-ons / auto tranny mods = 17s or 18s 1/4 mile ??? Turbo = 15s or 16s 1/4 miles ??? I got this car when I was 16 and thought I was getting a Mitsubishi. I remember how robbed I felt when I realized I had a piece of sh!t Chrysler motor. I am just going to drive slow and keep her looking pretty and bumpin' Farewell 2gnt!!!

I find it strange that you are running 19's in a 1/4 mile. I also have an auto tranny and I ran a 17.9 flat. My only mods are cai, catback exhaust, iridium plugs, and msd ignition wires. I left it in overdrive and brake torqued off the line. I know how you feel about being slow, but dont give up. I also have decided to go forward with the manual tranny swap. I'm still gathering a few parts, but I read that its not that hard to do.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4635 Previous topic | Next topic