Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4625
View in linear mode

Subject: "96 gs auto tranny not shifting out of 2nd even when i floor it" Previous topic | Next topic
soosterFeb-08-10 03:05 PM
Member since Jun 13th 2009
1 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4625, "96 gs auto tranny not shifting out of 2nd even when i floor it"

my sister has a 96 gs and she had a problem with the automatic transmission not shifting out of second and it was also slipping really bad. i checked the fluid level and it was low so i put enough in and now it doesnt slip at all..so the only problem now is that it wont shift out of 2nd. even with high rpms it still doesnt shift. i took it to the transmission shop and they said it was maybe the computer and not the tranny, or something electrical..any ideas on what it could be? anyone else had this problem? thanx

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 96 gs auto tranny not shifting out of 2nd even when i floor it, 420agreenvilleSC, Feb-08-10 06:40 PM, #1
RE: 96 gs auto tranny not shifting out of 2nd even when i floor it, jesterscorpion, Mar-21-10 08:38 AM, #2
RE: 96 gs auto tranny not shifting out of 2nd even when i floor it, baconater3000, Mar-28-10 01:47 PM, #3
RE: 96 gs auto tranny not shifting out of 2nd even when i floor it, 95longneckrs, Apr-21-10 12:01 PM, #4
RE: 96 gs auto tranny not shifting out of 2nd even when i floor it, omair8, Apr-22-10 06:47 PM, #5
      RE: 96 gs auto tranny not shifting out of 2nd even when i floor it, C-Rell da Kid, May-04-10 11:27 AM, #6

420agreenvilleSCFeb-08-10 06:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4626, "RE: 96 gs auto tranny not shifting out of 2nd even when i floor it"
In response to Reply # 0

source another TCU, i'd start with that. what were the codes that they pulled?

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jesterscorpionMar-21-10 08:38 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2010
36 posts,
#4632, "RE: 96 gs auto tranny not shifting out of 2nd even when i floor it"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by sooster
my sister has a 96 gs and she had a problem with the automatic transmission not shifting out of second and it was also slipping really bad. i checked the fluid level and it was low so i put enough in and now it doesnt slip at all..so the only problem now is that it wont shift out of 2nd. even with high rpms it still doesnt shift. i took it to the transmission shop and they said it was maybe the computer and not the tranny, or something electrical..any ideas on what it could be? anyone else had this problem? thanx

On my 97 GS it ended up being the relay on the firewall near the brake fluid resivoir. That realy allows the trannys computer to talk to the cars computer. When they cant talk to each other the car slips into "limp mode".

baconater3000Mar-28-10 01:47 PM
Member since Aug 11th 2009
104 posts,
#4633, "RE: 96 gs auto tranny not shifting out of 2nd even when i floor it"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by sooster

ok this once happened to me....I think all i did was pulled the battery for like an hour and put it back in and it worked fine.. but it also could be something more difficult

‹noboost› Four gee's and 63 years ago, our forefathers brought forth on this continent, a new dsm, concieved in Normal Illiniois...

Originally posted by barza21
barza + turbo = honda owning!!!!

95longneckrsApr-21-10 12:01 PM
Member since Apr 21st 2010
1 posts,
#4642, "RE: 96 gs auto tranny not shifting out of 2nd even when i floor it"
In response to Reply # 0

I had a similar problem with my 95RS.
Behind the master cylinder on the firewall is a cluster of of 3 or 4 relays. The 3rd one from the left is the ETAX relay, communicates the TCU with the ECU. I replaced mine and so far after 200+ miles everything is still working fine. If I knew how to post a pic I would.

The relays from left to right are:
a 3 relay cluster is seemingly more common:
Fuel Pump, ASD, ETAX
a 4 relay cluster:
Fuel Pump, ASD, ETAX, and Backup light (if equipped. mine has 4)

hope this fixes yours as it did mine... it drove me crazy for a while.. good luck.!

omair8Apr-22-10 06:47 PM
Member since Oct 24th 2008
2 posts,
#4644, "RE: 96 gs auto tranny not shifting out of 2nd even when i floor it"
In response to Reply # 4

Hey guys I'm having the same problem and Im hoping this relay is my problem so I can fix it.

Now this might be a stupid question but how did you exactly get the relay out of the black box cover to replace it? Also, is it easy to replace? I want to replace it myself but don't want to mess anything up. Thanks!

C-Rell da KidMay-04-10 11:27 AM
Member since Jan 18th 2010
1 posts,
#4655, "RE: 96 gs auto tranny not shifting out of 2nd even when i floor it"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by omair8
Hey guys I'm having the same problem and Im hoping this relay is my problem so I can fix it. Now this might be a stupid question but how did you exactly get the relay out of the black box cover to replace it? Also, is it easy to replace? I want to replace it myself but don't want to mess anything up. Thanks!

this also. Im actually thinkin about just swapping to a 5 speed if i need a new tranny

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4625 Previous topic | Next topic