Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #3973
View in linear mode

Subject: "Disassembled ATX and found....." Previous topic | Next topic
jam013200Feb-15-06 05:18 PM
Member since Jun 26th 2005
121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3973, "Disassembled ATX and found....."

I found the Low/Reverse Clutch burned up, they were black (not brown like the others) and they had significantly less material on the clutch than the others in the system. I checked all the gears so far and they all look "normal" no missing teeth or welds broken. So I would assume that I would just need the following to get her going again:

Rebuild Kit
Torque Converter
Input/Output Sensors
Solenoid pack
Diff. Safety Pins

I talked to the guy a Transtar about parts earlier today and he said that the a604 was notorious for breaking welds in the planetaries. I checked mine so far and they look ok....I don't see any stress cracks and the welds still seems solid. Should I be concerned?

What would cause the Low/Reverse Clutchs to burn up like that? Any special tools needed to put her back together (like those spring compression tools?).

Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

InFiNiT3Feb-15-06 05:36 PM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3974, "RE: Disassembled ATX and found....."
In response to Reply # 0

on the planetarys the weld he was refurrinfg to are the dowl pins (3( they bust all the time... personally ive only seen it once out of the 7 ive built. so check there... also 99% of all rebuilds just need the low/reverse clutch pack rebuilt... but since u have it out and apart change all the clutches / steels. but ya thats all u need bro. if u run into any probs .. pop a few digi picts and post em we'll handle the rest
good luck

mods include but not limited to:
engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit.
Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jam013200Feb-16-06 02:12 AM
Member since Jun 26th 2005
121 posts,
#3978, "RE: Disassembled ATX and found....."
In response to Reply # 1
Feb-16-06 02:20 AM by jam013200

Will I really need some of those funky lookin spring compression tools to put everyhting back together?

Why does the low/reverse clutch pack burn up so often?

Oh...one other thing....should buy the Sonnex Sure Cure Kit? It is suppose to help: Repeat Planetary Failure, Pump Seal Leakage, High Line Pressure, Converter Shudder, 1-2 Shudder, 2nd Gear Starts

Is this needed?

InFiNiT3Feb-16-06 12:45 PM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
#3981, "RE: Disassembled ATX and found....."
In response to Reply # 2

not gunna hurt... but needed... no

and no dont need the compressers.... a shop press would help out tremendasy if your doing this solo.... but if u gotta buddy laying around and a 5" diam pipe you'll be good

engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit.
Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #3973 Previous topic | Next topic