Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #274
View in linear mode

Subject: "Overdrive question...." Previous topic | Next topic
1998EclipseRSMar-17-03 06:41 AM
Member since Jul 31st 2002
3245 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#274, "Overdrive question...."

Alright when going 70+ down the interstate when your car kicks into overdrive does it rev down

It seems like it revs up and then while still flooring it it'll loose RPM's.... I don't know how to explain it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Overdrive question...., Joe B Slow, Mar-17-03 07:39 AM, #1
RE: Overdrive question...., thedawg, Mar-17-03 09:55 AM, #2
      RE: Overdrive question...., Joe B Slow, Mar-17-03 10:27 AM, #3
      RE: Overdrive question...., ThE oRACLe, Mar-17-03 10:42 AM, #4
           RE: Overdrive question...., Joe B Slow, Mar-17-03 11:55 AM, #5
                RE: Overdrive question...., shybuck, Mar-17-03 03:51 PM, #6
                     RE: Overdrive question...., Joe B Slow, Mar-17-03 03:53 PM, #7
                          RE: Overdrive question...., nappyjim, Mar-22-03 09:21 AM, #8
                               RE: Overdrive question...., Joe B Slow, Mar-22-03 11:29 AM, #9
                                    RE: Overdrive question...., dfresh, Mar-22-03 10:31 PM, #10
      RE: Overdrive question...., dalesmitsu, Jan-28-08 08:45 PM, #11

Joe B SlowMar-17-03 07:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#279, "RE: Overdrive question...."
In response to Reply # 0

That could just be, and probably is, your locking torque converter.

Read a few threads down there is an explanation of what that is.

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

thedawgMar-17-03 09:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#294, "RE: Overdrive question...."
In response to Reply # 1

If you're flooring it at 70mph, you should not be in overdrive.

If you're *cruising* at 70mph, *only* then should you be in overdrive.

OD is not equal to MTX 5th gear. It is a torque convertor and gear setting that maximizes fuel efficiency on the freeway (holding a steady speed between 45 and 85mph) and nothing more. If you're racing, OD should be OFF. If you're below 45, OD should be OFF. If you're above 90mph, OD should be OFF.

Racing in OD and driving around on the streets in OD will burn your tranny out faster.

Joe B SlowMar-17-03 10:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#295, "RE: Overdrive question...."
In response to Reply # 2

I think you got that backwards. You want to have overdrive ON while above 90 and ON above 45. You will burn out the third gear clutch (and not to mention shit loads of gas) if you have overdrive off. All overdrive does is let the transmission shift into 4th gear. With overdrive off you stick in 3rd gear. Good to race with but not good for anything else really, unless youre driving up hill and what not.

joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

ThE oRACLeMar-17-03 10:42 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1135 posts,
#297, "RE: Overdrive question...."
In response to Reply # 3

nopes he's right ... od on your running the planetary gear ...which is balls.. you will notice when your foot is to the floor with o/d on the shifts click at near 5800rpms od off you go the whole way to 6500rpms. just a little fyi

oRACLe's 1997 RS

ThE oRACLe says: "I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn ... and its non-dairy .."

Joe B SlowMar-17-03 11:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#301, "RE: Overdrive question...."
In response to Reply # 4

I think you guys are confusing OD with OD off. When you click the button IN that's over drive on. meaning 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 gears.

Button out means OD off. meaning 1 > 2 > 3 at much higher RPMs.

"Over drive" tends to have a performance meaning to it, but it just means all 4 gears.

From the manual:

"With the overdrive switch pressed in, automatic shifting will take place in the 1st trhough 4th gear ranges when the selector lever is set to the "D" position."

"When you need quick acceleration or engine braking power on a downhill grade, or when you are going to go up a long ill, press to release the overdrive sqitch to cance the overdrive function."

Overdrive - 4 gears lower rpm shifts

Overdrive off - 3 gears higher rpm shifts.

People tend ot think that overdrive is like some synonym for hyperdrive or something that has a performance connotation. The reverse is true.

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

shybuckMar-17-03 03:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
#307, "RE: Overdrive question...."
In response to Reply # 5

When I turn my od off, that means the amber light comes on that says off, Most of the time nothing happens. Even if going up hill and engine is really boggin, cause it is hanging at 3500 rpm. U think this is normal. Even coasting it will do nothing most of the time.

Joe B SlowMar-17-03 03:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#308, "RE: Overdrive question...."
In response to Reply # 6

If you are in OD and in 4th gear and you turn OD off you *should* drop down into 3rd gear. and stay there, unless of course you push the gas and you need to downshift to 1st or 2nd.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

nappyjimMar-22-03 09:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
8043 posts,
#376, "RE: Overdrive question...."
In response to Reply # 7

i said this a long time ago...that OD OFF only goes to 3rd gear and everyone told me....OD OFF still goes to 4th gear.

I thought i was going crazy...now i know they just are.

But yah..i dont see how OD ON is going to burn your tranny out quicker. I think OD off would if your on the highway cause your going at higher speeds which means higher rpms which means more stress on the engine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
home.comcast.net/~nappyjim/songs.html
home.comcast.net/~7291834avi/carputer/carputer.html
www.cardomain.com/id/napppyjim

*Proud Member of the Top Ten Post Whore Club*
*Proud And Co-Founding Member Of The Zoom Zoom Revolution*
nappyjim-3 Chip-0
No one likes you chip, go away.

Joe B SlowMar-22-03 11:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#377, "RE: Overdrive question...."
In response to Reply # 8

Exactly...........what I said......... ......twice actually......

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

dfreshMar-22-03 10:31 PM
Member since Aug 20th 2002
551 posts,
#385, "RE: Overdrive question...."
In response to Reply # 9

but if u drive past 45 mph with the od off if will stay in 3rd gear and not switch into 4th...meanin that your are whinnin out third gear if u continue to go faster.....not good for the 3rd gear clutch..it can burn out faster...

dfresh

will post more pics when front is painted

dalesmitsuJan-28-08 08:45 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#4356, "RE: Overdrive question...."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by thedawg
If you're flooring it at 70mph, you should not be in overdrive. If you're *cruising* at 70mph, *only* then should you be in overdrive. OD is not equal to MTX 5th gear. It is a torque convertor and gear setting that maximizes fuel efficiency on the freeway (holding a steady speed between 45 and 85mph) and nothing more. If you're racing, OD should be OFF. If you're below 45, OD should be OFF. If you're above 90mph, OD should be OFF. Racing in OD and driving around on the streets in OD will burn your tranny out faster.

thanks dawg I concern about this also.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #274 Previous topic | Next topic