Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #262
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to make a auto as fast as a manual" Previous topic | Next topic
daltahMar-16-03 04:11 PM
Member since Dec 09th 2002
240 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#262, "How to make a auto as fast as a manual"

what can i do to make my auto as qick as a manual?I want to shave off .5-1.0 sec's on the 1/4 mile time with just doing stuff to the tranny.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: How to make a auto as fast as a manual, amljbs, Mar-16-03 06:18 PM, #1
RE: How to make a auto as fast as a manual, daltah, Mar-20-03 02:52 PM, #2
      RE: How to make a auto as fast as a manual, woo2gnt97, Mar-20-03 03:00 PM, #3
           RE: How to make a auto as fast as a manual, amljbs, Mar-20-03 03:30 PM, #4
                RE: How to make a auto as fast as a manual, Dirty, Mar-20-03 04:54 PM, #5
                     RE: How to make a auto as fast as a manual, amljbs, Mar-21-03 12:39 PM, #6
                          RE: How to make a auto as fast as a manual, Dirty, Mar-21-03 05:21 PM, #7

amljbsMar-16-03 06:18 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#271, "RE: How to make a auto as fast as a manual"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-16-03 06:20 PM by amljbs

Final drive and shift kit will get you close to dropping the .5 secs. Add a few performance mods to that such as underdrive pulley and coldair intake youll be close to dropping 1 sec.

1998 Eclipse GST

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

daltahMar-20-03 02:52 PM
Member since Dec 09th 2002
240 posts,
#361, "RE: How to make a auto as fast as a manual"
In response to Reply # 1

what shift kit should i get and how much is it?

woo2gnt97Mar-20-03 03:00 PM
Member since Nov 06th 2002
1362 posts,
#363, "RE: How to make a auto as fast as a manual"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-20-03 03:02 PM by woo2gnt97

Being as fast as a manual isn't so hard.
In fact, I raced a stock manual and beat him pretty bad last night. Probaly in the range of 2 cars or so. But he was stock, bone stock - not even an intake.

Despite anything you do - a manual w/ the same mods as you will most always be faster.

Final drive gears and a shift kit will get you close to an average manual driver. A nasty driver will still walk you though.

I'm not too sure on how much a torque converter will add or do. Perhaps that is something to look into :

black 97 eclipse a/t
nakayama cai
cat-back exhaust
final drive gears
afx udp

amljbsMar-20-03 03:30 PM
587 posts,
#364, "RE: How to make a auto as fast as a manual"
In response to Reply # 3

High stall Torque converter in conjunction with the above will close the gap off the line itll let you launch much much harder because youll have to rev up before youll engage thge next gear thus you can rev to say 3000 RPM and launch without power braking if Im not mistaken.

1998 Eclipse GST

DirtyMar-20-03 04:54 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#366, "RE: How to make a auto as fast as a manual"
In response to Reply # 4

I don't have a high stall TQ converter (still want one though) but with what I ahve done so far, a MTX only has an advantage on the launch. My ATX has the advantage with everything else. I'm not talking shit about MTX, cause I own both, but if you can make up for the ATX drivetrain loss you will have the advantage. I have got to get to the track this year!

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

amljbsMar-21-03 12:39 PM
587 posts,
#370, "RE: How to make a auto as fast as a manual"
In response to Reply # 5

Yeah the Final drive alone will make you faster than most manuals and add a shift kit and youll do even better. But as Dirty is saying theyll have the launch which the torque convertor will help to negate.

1998 Eclipse GST

DirtyMar-21-03 05:21 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#371, "RE: How to make a auto as fast as a manual"
In response to Reply # 6
Mar-21-03 05:22 PM by Dirty

I don't know if the Final drive mod alone will get you as fast as a MTX. The reason I say this is because of all the shit talked about the ATX. My ATX was not ever really slow (the tranny that is). I have never driven any other ATX DSM except mine, but I have driven lots of MTX's (and yes I can drive the fuck out of a MTX) and my AT compared to the MT's that I drove and have owned was not slower. Just on take off. So the reason I talk about modding the AT to get even with the MT is only because of people on here saying what dogs they are. Mine was never a dog. It's does feel alot better now though.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #262 Previous topic | Next topic