Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #231
View in linear mode

Subject: "Final drive done but..." Previous topic | Next topic
amljbsMar-15-03 04:53 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#231, "Final drive done but..."

Well I got all the gears on this weekend. First thing the geocities walkthrough is terrible. The thing is ass backwards in some respects. I will definately look to write a new one for it when I get a chance. Anyways the car pulls a little harder not much though weird thing is that my car didnt get much on the low end but from 90 up the car freakin flys now. My question is since the walkthrough seems backwards was I suppose to put the small gear on the top and the big one on the bottom or vise versa.

1998 Eclipse GST

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Final drive done but..., amljbs, Mar-16-03 05:41 AM, #1
RE: Final drive done but..., Joe B Slow, Mar-16-03 07:05 AM, #2
RE: Final drive done but..., Chase, Mar-16-03 08:42 AM, #3
RE: Final drive done but..., WIKKI, Mar-16-03 04:31 PM, #4
      RE: Final drive done but..., amljbs, Mar-16-03 06:13 PM, #5
           RE: Final drive done but..., 1998EclipseRS, Mar-17-03 06:38 AM, #6
                RE: Final drive done but..., amljbs, Mar-17-03 06:49 AM, #7
                     RE: Final drive done but..., amljbs, Mar-17-03 07:13 AM, #8
                          RE: Final drive done but..., Joe B Slow, Mar-17-03 07:41 AM, #9
                               RE: Final drive done but..., Chase, Mar-17-03 08:17 AM, #10
                                    RE: Final drive done but..., Joe B Slow, Mar-17-03 08:37 AM, #11
                                         RE: Final drive done but..., Chase, Mar-17-03 08:44 AM, #12
                                              RE: Final drive done but..., Joe B Slow, Mar-17-03 08:49 AM, #13
                                                   RE: Final drive done but..., Chase, Mar-17-03 09:02 AM, #14
                                                        RE: Final drive done but..., Joe B Slow, Mar-17-03 09:04 AM, #15
                                                             RE: Final drive done but..., Chase, Mar-17-03 09:07 AM, #16
                                                                  RE: Final drive done but..., Joe B Slow, Mar-17-03 09:11 AM, #17
                                                                       RE: Final drive done but..., Chase, Mar-17-03 09:14 AM, #18
                                                                            RE: Final drive done but..., Joe B Slow, Mar-17-03 09:15 AM, #19
                                                                                 RE: Final drive done but..., Chase, Mar-17-03 09:17 AM, #20
                                                                                      RE: Final drive done but..., Joe B Slow, Mar-17-03 09:21 AM, #21
                                                                                           RE: Final drive done but..., Chase, Mar-17-03 09:50 AM, #22
                                                                                                RE: Final drive done but..., Joe B Slow, Mar-17-03 10:30 AM, #23
                                                                                                     RE: Final drive done but..., Chase, Mar-17-03 10:44 AM, #24
                                                                                                          RE: Final drive done but..., Joe B Slow, Mar-17-03 11:50 AM, #25
                                                                                                               RE: Final drive done but..., 1998EclipseRS, Mar-18-03 06:38 AM, #26

amljbsMar-16-03 05:41 AM
587 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#232, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 0

Ok I doubled checked everything and changed my spark plugs and guess what. I noticed a huge difference. The car is pulling way harder every where. Let me tell you anyone who has said this mod hurts top end let me tell you it doesnt and Im actually able to go 10mph faster than before. Very impressed with it. I will be writing a new walk through for the gears becuase the removal portion is not correct. The bottom gear will just spin if you take the top one off first. Just little things like that are inaccurate. But I got everything working now and it works great.

1998 Eclipse GST

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Joe B SlowMar-16-03 07:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#233, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 1

Awesome man! Make sure you hook me up with that write up, and take better pics than that dude did. Those pictures were horrible IMO.

Good luck,
Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

ChaseMar-16-03 08:42 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
9 posts,
#235, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 0

Did you change anything with the gears to notice anything different?
I just put in Drive Gears yesterday.. Accleration seems crappy, put after about 4k RPM I can tell a difference.. Just took it on the highway and it seems to get to 100 alot quicker... Still pretty disappointed with acceleration though..

Funny story while we were working on my car last night.. After we finally got everything done, we jacked up the car in the front, so we could spin both tires and before we tested it on the ground.. Friend was revving my car, and then let off.. and then my tires just like, seemed to lock up.. So we put car on ground and tried to drive it, but it barely budged.. We thought maybe parking brake locked up or something... Drove it around the block, and it shifted gears.. That's when we realized all that happened was the car tried to shift gears while jacked up, and was still in top gear when we put it back down.. Scared the hell out of me

WIKKIMar-16-03 04:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#265, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 3

watch out for wet on ramps. my wife wiped out when she was test driving after this mod. it surprised the hell out of her.

peace
WIKKI

THAT is not f**king THAT!
THIS is f**king THIS!

amljbsMar-16-03 06:13 PM
587 posts,
#270, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-16-03 06:14 PM by amljbs

Ive had that problem since I did the header. If you guys havent done that yet do it youll be very happy. I think that I would have felt way more from this had I done it earlier on. However like I said vey good gains from this mod and worth the money for what it does.

1998 Eclipse GST

1998EclipseRSMar-17-03 06:38 AM
Member since Jul 31st 2002
3245 posts,
#273, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 5

I bet you put the gears on wrong, The bigger gear stock is on the top... the smaller gear goes on the top now and the bigger gear goes on the bottom, did you do that? I belive the gears are interchangeable. You should check.

amljbsMar-17-03 06:49 AM
587 posts,
#276, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 6

Small gear is on top larger gear is on the bottom. Thats how I put them on.

1998 Eclipse GST

amljbsMar-17-03 07:13 AM
587 posts,
#278, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 7

Biggest difference Ive seen from this is that the car wants to keep pulling now there is no drop going from first to second or second to third. Like I said the top end feels strong as hell now passing on the interstate is much easier.

1998 Eclipse GST

Joe B SlowMar-17-03 07:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#280, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 8

can someone please link me to the geocities.com link so i can see that write up?

Also, can i just get these gears off a junked sebring or whatever?

thanks,
Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

ChaseMar-17-03 08:17 AM
9 posts,
#281, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 9

ack, I'm not sure if anyone can help me with this, but I really don't know what happened... I just put Final Drive gears in Saturday night... Drove it around that night, and alot Sunday afternoon.. Then Sunday night, Car starts making this really loud squeeling noise from gears.. I kept driving, called a friend and told him to meet me in a parking lot... It took me awhile to get there because my car kept slipping out of gear.. I finally got there, but there wasn't much we could do.. Got a cable and towed it home with a truck.. Am I going to need my transmission rebuilt? Anyone know what could of happened? I thought we did everything right when putting in the drive gears, but obviously we messed something up.

Joe B SlowMar-17-03 08:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#282, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 10

not to sound like a jack ass, but did you replace the fluid that came out? That can be over looked - i dunno how but i bet it could. Ive heard stories!

joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

ChaseMar-17-03 08:44 AM
9 posts,
#283, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 11

well, that's what I asked my friend.. I mean, I know we put fluid in it, I was just making sure we put enough. I put in 2 quarts.. he said it didn't have anything to do with fluid anyways..
bleh.

Joe B SlowMar-17-03 08:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#284, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 12

Most generally if ANYTHING happens to our transmission it has to do with the fluid. The transmission fluid is the hardest working fluid in your car. It transfers heat. It lubes all the moving parts, AND it acts like a hydraulic fluid for transferring energy. The A604 is very sensitive to fluid quality and amount. I'd go check to make sure you have enough in there. I assume you know the proper way of checking fluid level right?

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

ChaseMar-17-03 09:02 AM
9 posts,
#285, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 13

friend checked it last night and said I had enough.. I'm pretty sure I know how to check it...

Wish I could go outside and check it myself anyhow, but I'm stranded here at home... Towed it to my friend's house last night 'cos he was closer..

Today I think I'll just take off the pan that the gears are in.. that way I can see if there is any problem with them... fluid will all drop out so I can just replace it and see if that helps... I have a feeling it's not going to be this simple though, just my luck. heh.

Joe B SlowMar-17-03 09:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#286, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 14

eh ya never know man. Could be easy.

I dont wanna beg the question anymore, but he's checking the fluid with the car warmed up and in N after running it through the gears right?

joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

ChaseMar-17-03 09:07 AM
9 posts,
#287, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 15

hmm. perhaps I don't know how to check tran. fluid properly.. He didn't do anything like that...

What exactly is the procedure? And how do I know if it's full or not? Friend *said* I had plenty in there... Hopefully he's wrong and it's just something simple like that...

Joe B SlowMar-17-03 09:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#288, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 16

See man I told ya.

Here is what you do to check the fluid.

Start the car.

Let it warm up to normal engine operating temperature. Halfway on the temp scale usually.

Pull the E-Brake. With your foot on the brake pedal run through the gears like this. P - R - N - D - 2 - 1 - 2 - D - N.

Now, with the car in N and the ebrake on pop the hood, pull out the dip stick and wipe it off. Stick it back in and carefull pull it out and check the level.

Rememeber. DO NOT turn the car off during the process. The whole reason for having the car on is so that all the fluid inside the transmission is where it **should** be with the car running since you ran through all the gears and changes.

Have em do that then we'll go from there.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

ChaseMar-17-03 09:14 AM
9 posts,
#289, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 17

so if it's full, it should be all the way up to that notch on the dipstick?

Joe B SlowMar-17-03 09:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#290, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 18

Well, it should be in the middle area. On the dipstick there is a "warm" area and a "hot" area. And within those word there is like a criss crossed etched sort of area. It should normally be in between the little field of criss cross. Or all the way at the top but not more than 3/4 of that field should be covered.

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

ChaseMar-17-03 09:17 AM
9 posts,
#291, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 19

okay, thanks joe, I really appreciate it.. Gonna go over there and take a look now, man I really hope it's just fluid that's messed up

Thanks again for all your help,
-Chase

Joe B SlowMar-17-03 09:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#292, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 20
Mar-17-03 09:22 AM by Joe B Slow

No worries man. I can attest to fucking up a transmission because of fluid. Owe it to everyone else to tell em so that they don't fuck theirs up too.

Joseph

PS - One more thing. DO NOT use Mercon/Dexron in your transmission no matter how cheap it is or how convenient. It will fuck your shit u

Good luck though ma tell me how it goes!

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

ChaseMar-17-03 09:50 AM
9 posts,
#293, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 21

Okay, over at friend's house.. Just checked fluid properly.. There is more than enough.. The fluid is actually over all the cris-cros patterns... I don't know what to do now.. I guess I could take a look at the drive gears... Ugh.

Joe B SlowMar-17-03 10:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#296, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 22

Well like I said, the transmission is picky. "more than enough" is not good enough. What you want to see is "perfect level of fluid" not "more than the perfect level". You might as well take that cover off and let that fluid pour out then pour in the right amount. Because too much is as bad as too little.

Joseph

PS - was the fluid kind of foamy?

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

ChaseMar-17-03 10:44 AM
9 posts,
#298, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 23

Okay, that's a question I was wondering about.. Too much can cause problems? It was way over both the cris cros lines.. It looked as though there was too much... It wasn't real foamy, but there were some bubbles on the dipstick that kinda made it foamy.
Also, how do I know how much is the exact amount needed?

Joe B SlowMar-17-03 11:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#300, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 24

Well, that is a science of guessing. What I would do is try to catch as much fluid as you can that drops out when you take that cover off and try to match that as closely as possible. Hell, if you have any empty ATF fluid bottles pour into there and you'll get a good guess of ABOUT how much you need. I say about cause it sounds like you put in too much to begin with. I guess i recommend just collecting that fluid that comes out and pour in about 3/4 of what's there. Or maybe even half.

Try this, do what you gotta do with the gears and let as much fluid drip out as possible. Check your levels and add about half a quart a time. It wouldnt be so hard if you were completely draining the transmission cause you could just add 4 quarts, but you arnt losing 4 quarts. Get what im saying, so youre gunna have to really guess. At this point its better to put too little than too much, because you can always add, but its a bitch to subtract the fluid. Less you have a drain plug installed.

Hit me up on AOL at ForNow082402 if you want better help that way we can talk real time,

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

1998EclipseRSMar-18-03 06:38 AM
Member since Jul 31st 2002
3245 posts,
#311, "RE: Final drive done but..."
In response to Reply # 25

did you torque the bolts down to 200 Lbs? If not those gears are probably shifting a ittle when driving... I hope its your flud because I'd hate to have to go take out the under fender shit and the pan just to check.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #231 Previous topic | Next topic