Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1756
View in linear mode

Subject: "WHAT DO I DO TURBO OR NO TURBO? NEED GUIDaNCE" Previous topic | Next topic
ZERO1997RSAug-14-03 06:44 AM
Member since May 22nd 2003
207 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1756, "WHAT DO I DO TURBO OR NO TURBO? NEED GUIDaNCE"

I currently A 1997 eclipse RS. It was given to me by my Father. Its a great car but it has well over 100K on it. The secon Prob is that its an A/T ,finaly the vehicle makes a whinning noise every time I put the pedal to the metal(but it only does it from the 3500 rpm to 5000 rpm range). Does anyone know what causes that?I was planning on investing a little money and Buying a HAHN Stage 2 turbo kit. As of right now I have 35 hundred dollars to invest in the vehicle. Now should I go all out and get the Kit? Or am I setting myself up for failure. Please advice.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ModeratorCorbinAug-13-03 08:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1757, "RE: WHAT DO I DO TURBO OR NO TURBO? NEED GUIDaNCE"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd try to fix the whining problem before you turbo it. Maybe its nothing...or maybe its more serious. I think your car should be at least up to stock specs before turboing. That would suck to blow $3,000 on the turbo (and associated mods) only to blow something up later and have no money. Check over every system of the car and make sure it is up to spec. Definitely check the compression on that motor. It may be low due to the 100k miles.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ZERO1997RSAug-13-03 10:44 PM
Member since May 22nd 2003
207 posts,
#1758, "RE: WHAT DO I DO TURBO OR NO TURBO? NEED GUIDaNCE"
In response to Reply # 1

So its HIGHLY recommended that I take it to a Mitsu. dealer. That costs an arm and a leg

ModeratorCorbinAug-14-03 06:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#1760, "RE: WHAT DO I DO TURBO OR NO TURBO? NEED GUIDaNCE"
In response to Reply # 2

Where you take it (if anywhere) is up to you. Take it to someone you trust if you can't do it yourself. Compression is easy to check: http://www.2gnt.com/www/corbin/comp.html
Your other option is just to turbo the car "as is" and hope for the best. You'd want to start saving for a new engine just in case. That would suck to spend all your cash on the turbo, then blow your engine, only to have to sell the turbo just to pay for a stock rebuild. It happens...

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1756 Previous topic | Next topic