Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #134
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shift kit install gone bad!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
DirtyMar-08-03 04:32 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#134, "Shift kit install gone bad!!!"

Well, I was hoping to give some good info on my project for this weekend but it seems I've fucked myself up pretty good once again. I was trying to take pics and everything for you guys but it will be at least a week before I can continue will this.

After I removed all the 10mm bolts from the valvebody, I was pulling it out (that bastard didn't wanna come out either) and..........well, I broke some shit. I don't know what the hell this thing is called (if anyone knows please let me know so I can order a new one) but it's black and PLASTIC!!! Here are some pics of it removed and some pics of the broken PLASTIC piece that I need to get so I can drive my car again.

Please help me out if you know anything about this.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Joe B Slow, Mar-08-03 04:39 PM, #1
RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Dirty, Mar-08-03 04:45 PM, #2
      RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Joe B Slow, Mar-08-03 04:50 PM, #3
           RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Dirty, Mar-08-03 04:55 PM, #4
                RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Joe B Slow, Mar-08-03 05:23 PM, #5
                     RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, WIKKI, Mar-08-03 07:06 PM, #6
                     RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, WIKKI, Mar-08-03 07:27 PM, #9
                     RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Dirty, Mar-08-03 07:08 PM, #7
                          RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Dirty, Mar-08-03 07:26 PM, #8
                               RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, WIKKI, Mar-08-03 07:34 PM, #10
                                    RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Dirty, Mar-08-03 07:38 PM, #11
                                         RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Joe B Slow, Mar-09-03 07:05 AM, #12
                                              RE: Need help!!!, Dirty, Mar-10-03 02:04 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Need help!!!, Joe B Slow, Mar-10-03 02:24 PM, #14
                                                        RE: Need help!!!, WIKKI, Mar-10-03 07:20 PM, #15
                                                             RE: Need help!!!, WIKKI, Mar-10-03 07:39 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: Need help!!!, WIKKI, Mar-10-03 08:12 PM, #17
                                                                       RE: Need help!!!, Dirty, Mar-11-03 11:23 AM, #18
                                                                            RE: Need help!!!, Joe B Slow, Mar-11-03 02:16 PM, #19
                                                                                 RE: Need help!!!, WIKKI, Mar-11-03 09:32 PM, #20
                                                                                      RE: Need help!!!, Dirty, Mar-12-03 06:25 PM, #21
                                                                                           RE: Need help!!!, Joe B Slow, Mar-12-03 06:31 PM, #22
                                                                                                RE: Need help!!!, WIKKI, Mar-12-03 08:16 PM, #23
RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Joe B Slow, Mar-12-03 09:12 PM, #24
RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Dirty, Mar-13-03 06:15 PM, #25
      RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Joe B Slow, Mar-13-03 06:32 PM, #26
      RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, daltah, Mar-16-03 07:40 AM, #27
           RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, WIKKI, Mar-16-03 04:26 PM, #28
                RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Dirty, Mar-17-03 12:58 PM, #29
                     RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Joe B Slow, Mar-17-03 01:02 PM, #30
                          RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Dirty, Mar-17-03 01:33 PM, #31
                               RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, Gregstoofast, Mar-24-03 06:39 PM, #32
                                    RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!, amljbs, Mar-25-03 06:33 AM, #33

Joe B SlowMar-08-03 04:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#135, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Im a lil bit shady on this, but I was looking at some things on the internet today for transmissions and saw something JUST like that. It was called a "kickdown" something or other. I looked on the CAPs and got the number 26198, that is the part number im guessing. If I can find more info for you ill post. Til then good luck!

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DirtyMar-08-03 04:45 PM
1405 posts,
#136, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanx alot man! I don't know how I'm gonna get out of this one.

There are 2 numbers on the plastic piece.

4659676AB
and

I don't know if either of these are part #s or not but I'm hoping one of them is, or else I don't really know what to order. Is there any way you can look up something by the part number?

"Natty Ride"

Joe B SlowMar-08-03 04:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#137, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm searching the hell out of those numbers. But I cant find crap. Ill keep searching though til i find something!

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

DirtyMar-08-03 04:55 PM
1405 posts,
#138, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 3
Mar-08-03 05:07 PM by Dirty

Fuckloads of props for you trying though man! All the love here at Team 2gNT!

I did get to put in the drain plug and magnets though.

"Natty Ride"

Joe B SlowMar-08-03 05:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#139, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-08-03 05:37 PM by Joe B Slow

**edit** i feel like a dumbass. Gimme a second though, I think i found what you need.

Joseph

edit #2

Ok, I typed in the 4659676AB at autozone.com. It returned back with a neutral safety switch. Looked on google.com images and it came back with a switch that is external on the transmission, like a plug. The only thing you could do now I guess is go to autozone, show em the part and let them help you out. Cause i searched the f*ck out of those numbers everywhere and didnt get anything. Got REALLY close but cigar good luck

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

WIKKIMar-08-03 07:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#140, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

I don't think that this is an autozone type part. I looked on Spartan motor marts site to find the part and I'm not doin' so well for ya. this seems to be the valve body parts that are available online.

you might want to put this in the hands of a dealer parts wiz. maybe if Bob Kise has e-mail at his dealersip, you could e-mail your pic and have him help (I have heard that he is quite helpful).

this SUCKS man! I'll keep working on this o-k?

peace
WIKKI

THAT is not f**king THAT!
THIS is f**king THIS!

WIKKIMar-08-03 07:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#144, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Wohoo!
I found it! it is called a "Trans Range Sensor". it looks like list price through a dealer is like $29

here
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=selectTree&CatalogID=1&siteid=213764

I found this at Chrysler Parts Direct
http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/moparonline.htm

peace
WIKKI

THIS is f**king THIS!

DirtyMar-08-03 07:08 PM
1405 posts,
#141, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 5
Mar-08-03 07:11 PM by Dirty

Thanx again for trying. I haven't come up with anything either. I think I'll try to email these pics to Bob Kise on monday and maybe he can tell me what this is.

Hopefully I'll have this done by next weekend. I hope I didn't scare anyone away from doing this mod to their tranny. I never have anything work the first time anymore. I think it might all be worth it in the end.

"Natty Ride"

DirtyMar-08-03 07:26 PM
1405 posts,
#143, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 7
Mar-08-03 07:32 PM by Dirty

Damn Wikki, We keep posting at the same time. Thanx alot man!

Just wanted to say you guys are the only reason I feel confident enough to do this shit without anyone else here to help out.

POINTS FOR EVERYBODY!!!

"Natty Ride"

WIKKIMar-08-03 07:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#145, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

again

Wohoo!
I found it! it is called a "Trans Range Sensor". it looks like list price through a dealer is like $29

here
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=selectTree&CatalogID=1&siteid=213764

I found this at Chrysler Parts Direct
http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/moparonline.htm

peace
WIKKI

THIS is f**king THIS!

DirtyMar-08-03 07:38 PM
1405 posts,
#146, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

Hell, for $29 I might be able to get itfrom my local dealer and come home without bleeding from my ass!

"Natty Ride"

Joe B SlowMar-09-03 07:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#148, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

Good Luck Man! And be sure to post any difference you feel in the shifting

G

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

DirtyMar-10-03 02:04 PM
1405 posts,
#159, "RE: Need help!!!"
In response to Reply # 12
Mar-10-03 02:07 PM by Dirty

I have another problem.
When I took out the valvebody this fell out and I need to know which piston goes where and which spring(s) go where. There is a OD piston and a UD piston. I can't tell any difference between the two except one has a light blue mark on top.

I ordered the part that I broke and I'll get it tommorrow, so I want to finish doing the shift kit and I don't want to put anything in the wrong place.

"Natty Ride"

Joe B SlowMar-10-03 02:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#160, "RE: Need help!!!"
In response to Reply # 13

I cant tell by the picture, but I bet the hole those go into, if they go INTO someting, they would only fit in one spot. They all look different sizes, that is my only guess other than calling the dealer to ask a mechanic!

and those pistons - well no clu

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

WIKKIMar-10-03 07:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#164, "RE: Need help!!!"
In response to Reply # 14

Man!
you are really putting me to the test her

honestly, I dont think that there is a difference. when I removed my valve body, I took it slow so I didn't scramble them up. but I do remember studying them quite a bit and not noticing ANY difference at all.
It's your call, but I really think that they are the same.

peace
WIKKI

THIS is f**king THIS!

WIKKIMar-10-03 07:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#165, "RE: Need help!!!"
In response to Reply # 15
Mar-10-03 08:02 PM by WIKKI

I read this again
http://www.rhinehart.net/transgo.htm
Bill doesn't seem to note any difference between the two. I read the TransGo instructions and looked at the parts again and all of the accumulator seals are stuffed into the bag together, that means that the seals are the same.

If I recall about the springs....the green spring came out of your overdrive accumulator, it also had the smaller spring inside. the brown spring came from your underdrive accumulator. I'm going off of memory here, so I'm sorry if I am wrong, but I'm quite certain that I am not.

Isn't it funny... in the instructions, it seems to suggest that both accumulators come with a set of two springs, but in both of our cars, we only have one set of double springs.

man! I am soo jealous of you.right now I wish I was dripping with trans fluid (I'm serious. I love this sh*t!)

btw. doesn't it say in the instructions that you use the "plain spacers" inserted into the two springs?

peace
WIKKI

THIS is f**king THIS!

WIKKIMar-10-03 08:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#166, "RE: Need help!!!"
In response to Reply # 16

Update.
I went online at Spartan motor mall and acted like I was ordering the accumulator pistons. if you look at my earlier photo of the valve body in htis thread, you will notice that they are #6 & #9. well when I placed them in my shopping cart, it just updated the number of the SAME piston to two being ordered (is this making any sense?)

what I am saying is that they ARE the same.

funny thing. the same thing happened when I placed the springs in my shopping cart. they are the same also.

peace
WIKKI

THIS is f**king THIS!

DirtyMar-11-03 11:23 AM
1405 posts,
#173, "RE: Need help!!!"
In response to Reply # 17
Mar-11-03 11:23 AM by Dirty

Thanx Wikki!

I thought that the pistons might be the same but the springs are different.
The green spring isn't as high of a spring rate as the brown one, and is slighty larger. You can't tell by the pic, but the coils on the brown spring are thicker than on the green one.

I'm gonna put them where you said they go, but what would happen if their supposed to go the other way. I'm not gonna blame you if anything messes up, I just wanna know what to look for and maybe prepare myself for the tears.

"Natty Ride"

Joe B SlowMar-11-03 02:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#178, "RE: Need help!!!"
In response to Reply # 18

We need a mod to sticky this thread big time someone else might end up here one day!

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

WIKKIMar-11-03 09:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#184, "RE: Need help!!!"
In response to Reply # 19

sorry so long between posts (wor )

Like I was saying earlier, if you were to order those springs to replace the ones you have, they would send you an identical set of springs (yeah, I remember that they are obviously different when you look at them). so I think that you are golden. I really don't think that you are going to run into any problems here.

get this thing done! I wanna know what your trans shifts like! if I didn't have to work so much right now, I would be telling YOU.

peace
WIKKI

THIS is f**king THIS!

DirtyMar-12-03 06:25 PM
1405 posts,
#203, "RE: Need help!!!"
In response to Reply # 20

OK. I have everything fixed and modified and all is ready to be put in. I will finish (assuming nothing else fucks up) this tommorrow when I get home from work. The filter is mounted and the lines have been put in so all I need to do is install the valvebody, screen filter, pan, and all the shit I took off to do this and I'll go for a test drive. If the test drive goes alright, I'm gonna find someone to run. I'll let everyone know when I get back.

I'm gonna be kinda short on pics for you guys cause after I broke something and have been put behind a couple of days I was to nervous and concerned about making everything right so I can drive my car again. I love my truck but it's not to street friendly anymore. I'm having withdrawls from the eclipse.

"Natty Ride"

Joe B SlowMar-12-03 06:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#204, "RE: Need help!!!"
In response to Reply # 21

Great! I can't wait to hear how it goes

Joe

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

WIKKIMar-12-03 08:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#210, "RE: Need help!!!"
In response to Reply # 22

no sweat on the pics. I understand. maybe I can get some good ones when I do min

peace
WIKKI

THIS is f**king THIS!

Joe B SlowMar-12-03 09:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#215, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey Wikki. Do us all a favor and take well documented pictures of the proces That way when someone else runs into problems you got us covered like flys on poop, know what im sayi

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

DirtyMar-13-03 06:15 PM
1405 posts,
#220, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 24
Mar-13-03 06:16 PM by Dirty

Sorry for taking so long, I haven't been able to login.

Anyway I just gotta say. Damn! I know this doesn't add any HP or anything but it makes the car pull and pull and keep pulling.
I don't know how well this ill work on a stock tranny, I already had the Final drive gears replaced and this just made great use of them.

I think Corbin said he drilled the holes out to the min. size (still not quit sure how the shift kit makes everything better) but I drilled mine to the max. The last hole is supposed to be .076 max. but I drilled it to .078 cause I didn't have a .076.

If you have the Final drive gears done you need to get this done also. I think it just makes better use or the higher gear ratio.
Also, those that may have been turned off by my problems with breaking shit, shouldn't worry about that cause it was all my fault and should not happen. Just be really careful when taking out the valvebody. I forgot to unplug the trans range sensor harness before I started pulling it out and thats why it broke.

If I had a website to host them, I would upload the instrutions so that you could read them first to decide if it's something you would feel comfortable doing yourself.

To sum this up.........It was well worth doing.

Edit: I will post more pics when I make some of the fiter mounted on my battery plate.

"Natty Ride"

Joe B SlowMar-13-03 06:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#222, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 25

WOO WOO!! If i wasnt sinking so much money into a new transmission i would definitely go out and get this thing NOW. I want one real bad just gotta get some more money!

Congrats!!!

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

daltahMar-16-03 07:40 AM
Member since Dec 09th 2002
240 posts,
#234, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 25

what kind of shift kit did you install?Where did you get it and how much was it?Also do you think its as quick as a manual now?

WIKKIMar-16-03 04:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#264, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 27

Dirty you suck!
I just can't get any time off from work to do this sh*t. I'm hella glad it worked out for you though. it sounds like it might have been worth all of the trouble you ha

peace
WIKKI

THIS is f**king THIS!

DirtyMar-17-03 12:58 PM
1405 posts,
#302, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 28

I just wanted to let you guys know (now that I've driven it for a while now) that I like it even more than when I first put it in. It seems that things have gotten so much better. I think the ecu (since it was reset when I did this) has learned that something is different and likes it and I just gotta say HELL YEAH! If you have the Final drive mod done you have to get this. I feel a big difference. I really started to feel it around 100 miles after I put it in. This is probably one of the top 3 mods I've done, and the best one for the tranny.

Like I said though, I drilled out the max. diameter and I have the Final drive gear mod too. I don't know how good this would be as an only mod for the tranny but I'm luving it.

And yes, a MTX has no more advantage over my ATX except getting off the line alot faster.

Note: I'm not talking shit here. It's still more fun to drive a MTX.

I had 3 runs on the street (I don't like to street race, long story, but I had to do it.) One MTX 2gNT Talon, one 95-96 Eclipse MTX and a Tiburon that I don't know the year.
The Tiburon didn't have a chance so I won't say anymore about it, but the DSM's were good runs. I talked to thenm afterwords and both had similar mods, they just spent more for the name. Both races went about the same. They both jumped ahead about a car length on the launch (can't find anyway around that) but when they shifted into 2nd I caught even, and when they shifted to 3rd I pulled about a half and then 4th I pulled even more and so on and so on. I think one guy was speed shifting cuase I didn't here his engine sound really change when he shifted. We shut it down at 100mph both times and both times I had about 1 1/2 cars on them.

The only advantage I had on them was I have no stereo and subs or shit. Just factory. I don't know how much their shit weighs but thats their problem. I also have my spare and tools removed. I don't know if they had theirs or not.

I just wanted to let everybody know that we can step up, we just have to go though more bullshit to get there. And thanx to everyone that helped out with the shit I was going through to get this done!

"Natty Ride"

Joe B SlowMar-17-03 01:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#303, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 29

Which kit did you, part number and all that. And also, do you think I could just go to autozone or advanced to get those gears, or get em used you think?

Was just thinking about that autozone idea today for some reason.

Congrats on the gains, im real jealous

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

DirtyMar-17-03 01:33 PM
1405 posts,
#304, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 30

Shiftkit:

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=2489

The only place I know to get the gears is Bob Kise. I would suggest getting a tranny cooler too.

"Natty Ride"

GregstoofastMar-24-03 06:39 PM
Member since Jan 17th 2003
243 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#405, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 31

I have heard alot of about Bob Kise and I was wundering how to get in contact with him,if he had a website or whatever with parts listed,glad to hear about the gains I am about to do the final gear mod and shift kit at the same time so it should be 1helva difference

<--Eclipse Racer-->

amljbsMar-25-03 06:33 AM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#409, "RE: Shift kit install gone bad!!!"
In response to Reply # 32

You can call him at 810-714-3300 just ask for bob kise. If Bob doesnt answer you want to ask to speak to him or Robert only!! Everyone else Ive dealed with there has been an asshole. Robert and Bob are cool as shit though. Let them know when you call that your with Team 2gnt and theyll hook you up with the discount.

1998 Eclipse GST

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #134 Previous topic | Next topic