Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1500
View in linear mode

Subject: "My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..." Previous topic | Next topic
Joe B SlowJul-14-03 02:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1500, "My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..."

Well first of all...dont do the mod on a hot summer day in a garage. And if you really want to make it easy on yourself, take out your front seat to give yourself more room. Not to mention all the change you'll find under there. Anyway, the mod was fairly easy, just a lot of bending over backwards to get underneath the steer column. Other than that hook up was a cinch. Followed InFiNiT3's picture write up a coupla times. The only concern i had was my switch, trying to figure out what "on" is and what "off" is.

The way mine hooked up, "on" on the switch allows the torque converter to lock up. As in "on" = "torque converter lock up on". And "off" on the switch allows the torque converter to unlock. As in, "off" = "lock up off". Pretty simpl .

I was at Anthony's (Gorkoracing) in Alabama for the weekend, so we took the car out on I565 and let it open. To say the least, i was very suprised. The car pulls so hard now, felt like it didnt want to stop pulling. The only thing that stopped me was a nissan that pulled in front of me and a cop going east bound on 565.

So to anyone who wants to do this mod and is worried about it: DO IT. Just make sure you do it right;). I think a monkey with a switch and some wire could do it its so easy. The results are very nice too.

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..., amljbs, Jul-14-03 05:34 PM, #1
RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..., soulcontroller, Jul-14-03 06:12 PM, #2
      RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..., Joe B Slow, Jul-14-03 06:32 PM, #3
      RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..., python6586, Jul-14-03 06:34 PM, #4
           RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..., Dark Ringleader, Jul-15-03 03:50 AM, #5
                RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..., ThE oRACLe, Jul-15-03 05:39 AM, #6
                     RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..., Joe B Slow, Jul-15-03 06:06 AM, #7
                          RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..., ThE oRACLe, Jul-15-03 07:02 AM, #8
                               DOH, Joe B Slow, Jul-15-03 03:37 PM, #9
                                    RE: DOH, 9D9 MITSU RS, Jul-16-03 03:30 PM, #10
                                         RE: DOH, amljbs, Jul-16-03 03:42 PM, #11
                                              RE: DOH, Joe B Slow, Jul-16-03 03:44 PM, #12
                                                   RE: DOH, amljbs, Jul-16-03 04:05 PM, #13
                                                        RE: DOH, Joe B Slow, Jul-16-03 04:22 PM, #14
                                                             RE: DOH, amljbs, Jul-16-03 05:27 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: DOH, Joe B Slow, Jul-16-03 05:27 PM, #16

amljbsJul-14-03 05:34 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1506, "RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..."
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-14-03 05:34 PM by amljbs

Funny thing about this mod is that it cost about $5 and it made a huge gain in performance very noticeable. Ive said it before its like you can flip the switch off at about 60 and the car will just pull and pull untill you let off the gas or you hit max speed. As far as the seat removal I didnt have any problems with the seat there however Im 6 foot and weigh about 135Lb so Im not exactly a big guy. Very easy to install though took no time at all. Plus I found the perfect switch for it at radio shack and mounted it to the right of the cig lighter. Damn thing looks like it was built with the car .

1998 Eclipse GST

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

soulcontrollerJul-14-03 06:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#1508, "RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..."
In response to Reply # 1

heh, i fit under the steering wheel and im 6'2 190. just takes a little gumby bending action.

Joe B SlowJul-14-03 06:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1509, "RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..."
In response to Reply # 2

ditto with the gumby action. i just swung my legs out the door and did my best underneath the steering column. Had a maglite and propped it up on who knows what, helped out big time to see down there lol

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

python6586Jul-14-03 06:34 PM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
656 posts,
#1510, "RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..."
In response to Reply # 2

im always under there for somereason or another, and im 6'4 but it sure hurts when u stand up

Mods:
CAI, OBX exhaust, Grillcraft grills, altezzas, ard ryver g6 17's wrapped w/ falken's, VIS racing c.f hood, 2 12" kicker comp's w/pioneer h.u, streetglow blue undercars, red dash kit, indiglo guages, n other shit

Dark RingleaderJul-15-03 03:50 AM
Member since Jan 23rd 2003
869 posts,
#1514, "RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..."
In response to Reply # 4

damn you people and your tallness I'm 5'11 173lbs but anyway if my car ever gets running again this is the first mod I'll be doing

FOR SALE PM Me for info:
Red '95 GS ATX with mods

New Ride:
94 Acura Integra GS-R 5-Speed
Comptech Intake
Tein S-Tech
On the way:
Integra Type R Transmission with LSD
GReddy Turbo Kit (by end of summer hopefully)

chris2wire: you've been uber'd

ThE oRACLeJul-15-03 05:39 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1135 posts,
#1516, "RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..."
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-15-03 05:41 AM by ThE oRACLe

ME TOO DARKRINGLEADER ... 5 11 180 ~~!!~~

NOW BESIDES ALL THIS IT PULLS GREAT .. WHATS THE STORY WITH HEAT ... U GUYS DO KNOW THERE IS A REASON WHY IT LOCKS RIGHT !!! HEAT !!!

oRACLe's 1997 RS

ThE oRACLe says: "I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn ... and its non-dairy .."

Joe B SlowJul-15-03 06:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1517, "RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..."
In response to Reply # 6
Jul-15-03 06:08 AM by Joe B Slow

>ME TOO DARKRINGLEADER ... 5 11 180 ~~!!~~
>
>NOW BESIDES ALL THIS IT PULLS GREAT .. WHATS THE STORY WITH
>HEAT ... U GUYS DO KNOW THERE IS A REASON WHY IT LOCKS RIGHT
>!!! HEAT !!!

LOL, first of all. Stuck in caps man?! lol. Second of all, go check out your thread about a coole .

The heat "cancels" itself out by the process of unlocking. If you mount your cooler where youre supposed to...think of it like this.

----> ||| <----
A C B

We'll call wind A and call direction of car B and the cooler will be C.

As B accelerates, A will accelerate causing the efficiency of C to "accelerate".

So its almost all proportionate. Because this mod wont really help all THAT much just moving a long your local street at the speed limit. But once you gas on it, the lock up will help and the little picture formula i drew will come into play.

Atleast thats what the voices in my head tell m

btw, i cant get the picture to work right. But you get the idea.

A is the wind.
C is the cooler.
B is the car.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

ThE oRACLeJul-15-03 07:02 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1135 posts,
#1519, "RE: My Take On the TC Lock Up Mod..."
In response to Reply # 7

yea i understand what your saying .. as u pull through 3rd gear your already getting a good head wind ... thus making the trans cooler operate at its full potential ... i have just ordered a trans temp guage .. see my other post .. before i do the lock up and install of the cooler im going to put this in first and establish a base temp ... and post results .. than with the cooler in and with the lock up done ... so we can see if this mod brings us to the danger zone ..

HIIIIIIGHWAY TO THE DANGER ZONE ~!~

oRACLe's 1997 RS

ThE oRACLe says: "I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn ... and its non-dairy .."

Joe B SlowJul-15-03 03:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1530, "DOH"
In response to Reply # 8

SO. Guess what? I guess my car wouldnt be a DSM without a damn check engine light! Threw it today getting off the interstate after driving to Alabama to help put some suspension on. We went to Hondazone to get it checked out. "pcm has detected a fault in the electrical wiring of the torque converter brake blablabla".

Did anyone else get this? Do you think it has permanently turned on? It still locks up when its got continuity and unlocks when i cut it off. So does anyone else have this??

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

9D9 MITSU RSJul-16-03 03:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#1547, "RE: DOH"
In response to Reply # 9

I'mma have a cooler and a switch SOON!

amljbsJul-16-03 03:42 PM
587 posts,
#1548, "RE: DOH"
In response to Reply # 10

Joe Infiniti was throwing that code when his tranny got all screwed up. But we all blew it off as something else. I guess the computer is smart enough to detect that something is up. I would say just clear the codes and dont worry about it. The system probably runs a random check to see if TQ can lockup and when it saw this happening for extended periods of time with acceleration it prolly threw the code.

1998 Eclipse GST

Joe B SlowJul-16-03 03:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1549, "RE: DOH"
In response to Reply # 11

What do you mean "when his tranny got all screwed up". lol thats doesnt help thing . When I made the initial cut of the wires i made em quick connects and made em opposites. Hooked em back up underneath, almost night and day difference. But im not sure - maybe the seals finally sat since my rebuild? The car hauls balls now and I dunno why. Gunna erase the code at work and give it a couplda days til it comes back.

Joseph

ps - tried calling Jake the other night but damnit if i couldnt hear the (XXX-XXX-XX?X) question mark.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

amljbsJul-16-03 04:05 PM
587 posts,
#1550, "RE: DOH"
In response to Reply # 12

LOL That wasnt why he wasnt running I think it was more the failed install of the shift kit that got him messed up.

1998 Eclipse GST

Joe B SlowJul-16-03 04:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1551, "RE: DOH"
In response to Reply # 13

had he done the tc lock up before the tranny blew?

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

amljbsJul-16-03 05:27 PM
587 posts,
#1553, "RE: DOH"
In response to Reply # 14

Before it blew he put in the Switch it blew after he did the shift kit and everything that was wrong was related to the valvebody and the plates.

1998 Eclipse GST

Joe B SlowJul-16-03 05:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#1554, "RE: DOH"
In response to Reply # 15

k So atleast someone else is getting the CEL.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #1500 Previous topic | Next topic