Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Announcements Area topic #5411
View in linear mode

Subject: "All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside" Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseTicalJan-06-03 02:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
648 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5411, "All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside"

fellow car enthusiasts, i am working closely with Steve McDonald (stevem@sema.org) from SEMA in an effort to change current vehicle laws. If you do not know, in MD it is illegal to modify your exhaust in any way that increases the sound over stock levels. This means any exhaust you put on is effectively illegal, subject to the enforcement of the local police in your respective jurisdictions. If you don't belive me, you can search this link for Vehicle code of Maryland exhaust modification law § 22-609:

http://198.187.128.12/maryland/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=fs-main.htm&2.0

Anyways, we are working together to introduce new, more enthusiast friendly laws. I will need your help in the near future, will keep you posted. In the meantime, feel free to contact steve and ask how you can help. This law affects all of us and with simple action on our part along with the help from Sema we can get it changed. I'll keep you informed on what i need you all to do. IT's time to stop standing by and letting the government push us around.

~Sean

99 GSX
97 RS--SOLD

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside, BMPDirk, Jan-09-03 04:01 AM, #1
RE: All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside, Mystic511, Jan-09-03 04:59 AM, #2
      RE: All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside, EclipseTical, Jan-13-03 04:51 AM, #3
           RE: All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside, Dualgen2, Jan-16-03 08:00 AM, #4
                RE: All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside, crucialconflect, Jan-19-03 03:18 PM, #5
                     RE: All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside, DrkWtsn, Jan-24-03 05:50 AM, #6
                          RE: All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside, juggalo, Jan-29-03 06:46 AM, #7

BMPDirkJan-09-03 04:01 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5412, "RE: All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside"
In response to Reply # 0

Damn, i got pulled over 2 days ago for a tinted license plate cover, and the cop didnt get me for my 20% tint or my loud ass tanabe exhaust! And i was there for like 25 minutes while he wrote me a warning for the license plate cover, and he didnt say one thing about the exhaust. I guess i got lucky...im knocking on wood as i write this ha ha. Good luch with that man! I would appreciate it

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Mystic511Jan-09-03 04:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
#5413, "RE: All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside"
In response to Reply # 1

It may be the law, but how many cops would actually enforce it, or have enough knowledge of exhaust systems to know it was modified? I lived in MD for six months, hung out in Rockville MD where every thursday night, 50+ cars would meet up on rockville pike and just chill in the parking lot at Barnes and Nobles... nobody ever got ticketed for anything.

But hey, i'm here to help if ya need it. We gotta start somewhere.. and then maybe we can help cali out someday... heh. .they get pulled over for everything.

16.1 @ 87.11
http://www.virtuallyinfamous.com

ARD 57mm tb and p&p manifold, Neuspeed STB, Pro-kits, Illuminas, Injen CAI with K&N, 2.5" pacesetter catback,
AF/X UDP, Rear STB, Powerslot rotors, RRE SS Brakelines.

EclipseTicalJan-13-03 04:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
648 posts,
#5414, "RE: All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside"
In response to Reply # 2

>It may be the law, but how many cops would actually enforce
>it, or have enough knowledge of exhaust systems to know it
>was modified? I lived in MD for six months, hung out in
>Rockville MD where every thursday night, 50+ cars would meet
>up on rockville pike and just chill in the parking lot at
>Barnes and Nobles... nobody ever got ticketed for anything.
>
>But hey, i'm here to help if ya need it. We gotta start
>somewhere.. and then maybe we can help cali out someday...
>heh. .they get pulled over for everything.

I've been there too. Either way the law is that any mods to the exhaust are illegal. You may have not been pulled over yet but that is $500 i could use elsewhere. AS it stands now i am in contact with Senator Hogan as well as several delegates and am working in conjunction with the director of government affairs from SEMA. Hopefully we will be able to have legislation similar to CA's 95 decible law in MD. It's a long drawn out legal battle and will take time. AS of now i don;t need anyones help, that will come when the bill goes to Annapolis. On that day we will need as many of you as are available to come down to the state house and show our numbers in support of creating a fair, non-subjective law that would make eenforcement much simpler and no longer the opinion of the officer. Keep watching here and i'll inform as needed. Thanks.

~Sean

99 GSX
97 RS--SOLD

Dualgen2Jan-16-03 08:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3726 posts,
#5503, "RE: All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside"
In response to Reply # 3
Jan-16-03 08:01 AM by Dualgen2

damn cops. I hate them but I never had problems w/ my exhaust yet.
-Dave

2009 Corolla S - waiting until 2012 for my next toy!
*SOLD* 1992 3000GT VR4 - pearl white and 45,6xx miles!
*SOLD* 2007 Subaru Legacy GT sedan
*SOLD* 95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - BPU
*SOLD* 97 Eclipse GS Star Stage 2

crucialconflectJan-19-03 03:18 PM
Member since Jan 19th 2003
1 posts,
#5533, "RE: All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside"
In response to Reply # 4

I live in southern maryland.I just got pulled over on friday.I went into the store and got some new clothes.I saw a cop in the parking lot and he waited for me to get in the car.As soon as i did he hit the lights.He said that an exaust was illegal in maryland.I was like "u want me to run open header ?" He said that no mods to an exaust are accepted in maryland.

DrkWtsnJan-24-03 05:50 AM
Member since Jan 14th 2002
154 posts,
#5635, "RE: All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside"
In response to Reply # 5

haha danny
SLOW!

2005 Subaru WRX - Not stock.

98 Eclipse - got a little bit on it ;o

89 Celica GT-S - BOOM, bye bye

juggaloJan-29-03 06:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#5678, "RE: All MARYLAND people--exhaust modification law details inside"
In response to Reply # 6

we got the same exact law here in albuquerque. it not state wide though. luckily my DL and registration are in differnt town. so even though the cops see my car constantly i still get off with the i don't live here excuse.

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

Top Team 2GNT Community Announcements Area topic #5411 Previous topic | Next topic