Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #6167
View in linear mode

Subject: "what is our Powerband?" Previous topic | Next topic
shamoo1Apr-13-10 07:57 PM
Member since Dec 19th 2007
24 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6167, "what is our Powerband?"

I have a 97 GS manual
Header
High Flow Cat
Apexi WS2 2.5"
CAI
street tires

I am just curious where to be shifting and what our powerband is?

I do a lot of Highway runs and some dig racing. I will be doing a highway run against a 2.4 Cobalt 2009 with CAI his is an auto.
So, I would like to know
What Gear to start in at what RPM?
When to shift?

This is for tomorrow night so need something ASAP
Thanks
PK

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: what is our Powerband?, 740 turbo brick, Apr-13-10 10:36 PM, #1
RE: what is our Powerband?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-14-10 04:39 PM, #2
RE: what is our Powerband?, 420agreenvilleSC, Apr-14-10 04:59 PM, #3
      RE: what is our Powerband?, 420agreenvilleSC, Apr-14-10 05:00 PM, #4
           RE: what is our Powerband?, bagged420a, Apr-14-10 06:53 PM, #5
                RE: what is our Powerband?, shamoo1, Apr-15-10 04:44 PM, #6
                     RE: what is our Powerband?, Moderatorteklein, Apr-15-10 05:29 PM, #7
                     RE: what is our Powerband?, AdministratorCODE4, Apr-15-10 08:34 PM, #8

740 turbo brickApr-13-10 10:36 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6168, "RE: what is our Powerband?"
In response to Reply # 0

Youre pretty much just going to have to feel how your car wants to be driven. Our cars usually launch good around 3.5k to 4k on the track. I shift at 7k (stock redline) and no lift off the gas during the 1-2 shift. Just a quick clutch and throw into second. Just that alone took about .5 off my track time. Spend a full day racing at the track and you should know what your car likes.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorbullettdsmApr-14-10 04:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#6169, "RE: what is our Powerband?"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-14-10 04:40 PM by bullettdsm

Originally posted by shamoo1
I will be doing a highway run against a 2.4 Cobalt 2009 with CAI his is an auto. So, I would like to know What Gear to start in at what RPM? When to shift? This is for tomorrow night so need something ASAP

Get into 4th gear at about 65mph. Look to your right to be sure there is nobody there, Then downshift quickly into first and cut your wheel real hard to right. You will then slam into whatever is on the side of the road.

That way, innocent people don't have to worry about you.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

420agreenvilleSCApr-14-10 04:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#6170, "RE: what is our Powerband?"
In response to Reply # 2

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

420agreenvilleSCApr-14-10 05:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#6171, "RE: what is our Powerband?"
In response to Reply # 3
Apr-14-10 05:01 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

i hope you wreck before you slam into a van with children in it. keep it on the track.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

bagged420aApr-14-10 06:53 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2009
107 posts,
#6172, "RE: what is our Powerband?"
In response to Reply # 4

Like mentioned before keep it off the streets. And your not racing a 2.4 2009 Cobalt because they dropped the 2.4 for the 09 models. And even the 2.2 come with more base power and torque than your eclipse so you'll get the ugly end of the stick(at the track of course)

shamoo1Apr-15-10 04:44 PM
Member since Dec 19th 2007
24 posts,
#6173, "RE: what is our Powerband?"
In response to Reply # 5

well Yes it is a 2.4 when nobody is on the highway i really don't care i am not going fast enough to hurt anyone, who isn't on the road. I am a big advocate for racing at the strip but if i wanna do a little run on the road than i will. I am not dumb and do when there are cars around. Everyone CALM THE F*** DOWN.

The car beat me by about 2 car lengths.

ModeratortekleinApr-15-10 05:29 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#6174, "RE: what is our Powerband?"
In response to Reply # 6

well Yes it is a 2.4 when nobody is on the highway i really don't care i am not going fast enough to hurt anyone, who isn't on the road. I am a big advocate for racing at the strip but if i wanna do a little run on the road than i will. I am not dumb and do when there are cars around. Everyone CALM THE F*** DOWN. The car beat me by about 2 car lengths.

So basically it was like two snails racing then?

Also, heres to Darwin

AdministratorCODE4Apr-15-10 08:34 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#6175, "RE: what is our Powerband?"
In response to Reply # 6

well Yes it is a 2.4

Unless he motor swapped it and continued to keep a slushbox and only install a CAI with that motor swap, then negative ghost rider. You (or the other driver) need to learn how to read the vehicle information correctly. The 2.4 motor was dropped for 2009.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #6167 Previous topic | Next topic