Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #6154
View in linear mode

Subject: "Autocrossing for the fist time" Previous topic | Next topic
barza21Mar-16-10 05:43 PM
Member since Oct 09th 2006
313 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6154, "Autocrossing for the fist time"

What's up!

I am giving auto cross a try for the first time. The reason for this post is to ask for advice from those of you that have done it before. Any tips that you guys think will help, let me know.

Some info on the car just in case:

-brakes: GSX rotors & Caliper upgrade
-suspension: Tein basics full coilovers
-transmission : Quaife LSD
-Engine: Low compression build with Crane 16's on the head.

Thanks and wish me luck!

I wish I had blown it, believe me, I do...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Autocrossing for the fist time, TeamDR1665, Mar-16-10 06:06 PM, #1
RE: Autocrossing for the fist time, Moderatorteklein, Mar-16-10 06:53 PM, #2
      RE: Autocrossing for the fist time, barza21, Mar-16-10 10:59 PM, #3
           RE: Autocrossing for the fist time, Moderatorteklein, Mar-17-10 03:58 AM, #4
                RE: Autocrossing for the fist time, barza21, Mar-17-10 10:49 AM, #5
                     RE: Autocrossing for the fist time, Moderatorbullettdsm, Mar-18-10 05:24 PM, #6
RE: Autocrossing for the fist time, barza21, Mar-22-10 01:30 AM, #7
RE: Autocrossing for the fist time, Moderatorteklein, Mar-23-10 04:06 AM, #8
RE: Autocrossing for the fist time, Moderatorbullettdsm, Mar-25-10 04:44 PM, #9
RE: Autocrossing for the fist time, barza21, Apr-17-10 12:49 PM, #10
RE: Autocrossing for the fist time, barza21, Apr-25-10 09:16 PM, #11

TeamDR1665Mar-16-10 06:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6155, "RE: Autocrossing for the fist time"
In response to Reply # 0

Double check the car before you roll out to the site. Make sure your fluids are all good to do. Double check your battery to make sure it's secured. Go through the car and remove any loose items. Maybe air the rear tires up a few psi more than the fronts (might help with understeer).

Get there early and walk the course. Mention this being your first time to someone at sign up and ask if there's anyone there who might be willing to walk the course with you or mentor you during the day.

When you actually race, be smooth. Chances are, you won't need to get out of 2nd gear, so keep both hands on the wheel unless you're actually shifting gears. You're going to be into 2nd quick and then probably stay there for the rest of the course. It all depends.

Above all else, don't be a choad and have fun. Get pictures and share the results with the group.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratortekleinMar-16-10 06:53 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#6156, "RE: Autocrossing for the fist time"
In response to Reply # 1
Mar-16-10 06:55 PM by teklein

Like we discussed earlier, make sure your seat is in the correct position.

Also, shuffle steer!

I looked at your course map, and the box in the upper left with one cone in the middle as a side is called a Chicago box. They are awesome. Fly into it with your car close to the outside, then jam the brakes, turn, and gun it!

Like Driggsy said, and I said in chat earlier, walk walk walk! There will always be experienced guys standing around before you start to ask if you want them to ride as an instructor. Always say yes until you are comfortable!

barza21Mar-16-10 10:59 PM
313 posts,
#6157, "RE: Autocrossing for the fist time"
In response to Reply # 2

Cool, I will double check everything. Thanks for the tips!

I will take pics and a video so that way you guys can laugh at my horrible driving skills...

Tim, I will try and gun that Chicago box like you said after I get some good solid runs in, it seems like it will be fun!

I am still kinda confused on what shuffle steering is though. I will look some info on it in the mean while.

Thanks and wish me good luck!

ModeratortekleinMar-17-10 03:58 AM
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#6158, "RE: Autocrossing for the fist time"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by barza21
Cool, I will double check everything. Thanks for the tips! I will take pics and a video so that way you guys can laugh at my horrible driving skills... Tim, I will try and gun that Chicago box like you said after I get some good solid runs in, it seems like it will be fun! I am still kinda confused on what shuffle steering is though. I will look some info on it in the mean while. Thanks and wish me good luck!

Its hard to describe without showing someone.

Start with your hands just below 10 and 2.

For example, a right turn would go:

Left hand still around the wheel, but a loose grip.

Right hand will grab the wheel and you pull down to make the car go right. Once you get to around the 4 or 5 o'clock position quickly move your hand back up to 2 o'clock, grab your hand and repeat until your car has the desired angle.

Once you do tighten both hands on the wheel.

See? Now you have both hands securely gripping the wheel.

Good practice is to just start doing this all the time

barza21Mar-17-10 10:49 AM
313 posts,
#6159, "RE: Autocrossing for the fist time"
In response to Reply # 4

Got it Tim, thanks I even looked it up on youtube and it makes sense. I will practice it!

Thanks!

ModeratorbullettdsmMar-18-10 05:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#6160, "RE: Autocrossing for the fist time"
In response to Reply # 5

Good luck my man. Have fun!

Somehow I anticipate a story coming out of this..........

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

barza21Mar-22-10 01:30 AM
313 posts,
#6161, "RE: Autocrossing for the fist time"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, well... Where should I start?

I loved it! It's simply awesome! I had fun! Having the ability to push my car to the limits without any repercussions is just great!

With that being said, I am a horrible driver!

I walked the course like you guys said, but it just wasnt enough. One thing is to walk and another to drive. When I got in the car for the first time I didnt take it slow like everybody was telling me too. I thought I would be able to take the curves fine, but that didnt happen. The cones just come at you so fast!

Long story short, I was only able to complete 3 of 5 runs. The three that I got in were DNF (Did not finish) Some how I always got off the course. It was mostly because I would forget were the course was and the instructor I had didnt teach me anything useful. The only reason why I cut down some times is because of a dude in a Viper told me how to take some curves and when to speed up and down.

Now to the reason why I wasnt able to get all my 5 runs in... Some how, my alternator belt just decided to snap during my third lap. So I had to back out and go get a belt at autozone and install it in the parking lot. Next time I am taking a replacement accessory belt and alternator belt!

All in all it was a really good experience. I got to meet a bunch of new people and learned a lot about my car. Even though it has low comp and a 3.55 trans in it, the car would just fly! Specially through the slalom section. The coilovers would keep it from going all over the place. Really nice how it handled. Ohh btw, yes I did run the whole course in 1st gear basically!

Oh and before I forget, our cars have a heavy ass! I was under steering left and right (this could partially be attributed to the fact that I didnt want to step on the brakes )

The next event is next month and I am looking forward to going, Thanks 2gnt!

P.S. Tim, the Chicago box was awesome! lol

ModeratortekleinMar-23-10 04:06 AM
1699 posts,
#6162, "RE: Autocrossing for the fist time"
In response to Reply # 7

Glad you had fun man!

Chicago boxes rock. They should have them on the street IMO

It takes some getting used to, but for your first time you did great!

You may want to look into a harness, they help a TON. I use the Schroth Rallye 4 ones. Modern Performance has them for 160ish a piece.

ModeratorbullettdsmMar-25-10 04:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#6163, "RE: Autocrossing for the fist time"
In response to Reply # 7
Mar-25-10 04:45 PM by bullettdsm

Originally posted by barza21
With that being said, I am an inexperienced driver!

Ficksed for yah.

Glad you had fun. Nothing like beating a car around a track with no worries of repurcussions (other than broken parts). You'll be better the next, and better the next.

Now if you don't get better THEN you can call yourself a horrible driver

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

barza21Apr-17-10 12:49 PM
313 posts,
#6177, "RE: Autocrossing for the fist time"
In response to Reply # 0

Update!

I found out there was a small autocross event here in town this past friday and was able to get some seat time in!

It was a really small course compared to the last one I got to drive in.

A couple of things, during the first run, my powersteering was going in and out... This didnt help at all! Second run I tightened up the belt to see if that fixed it and it did, but still issue would come up but not as bad. Third run, a little bit better than second, but not smooth at all.

First run 63.00s
Second Run 61.00s
Third Run 59.00

The fourth and fifth runs were canceld due to weather issues (it started raining).

But it was good! I finished all three runs and no DNFs! I am starting to get the hang of it, I just need some more time behind the wheel!

p.s. Tim, I thinnk you're right. I might buy a harness soon!

barza21Apr-25-10 09:16 PM
313 posts,
#6178, "RE: Autocrossing for the fist time"
In response to Reply # 10

I'M BACK!!!

It was awesome!!! Allison did good! She didn't break down!!!

Ok... Now to the good stuff.

First, I had no tires in the front going into this event. I had very little thread on them, but hell I think I did good with what I had.

First day:

8 runs total. The course had to be changed from its original shape due to some people parking in the lost that we were gonna use. It was cold and windy, so traction was kinda funky... The first runs were good, but towards the end I was just too tires, I missed the course and forgot the corners. It was a really long drive to get there and I had no sleep the night before...

All the results here http://www.rgrscca.com/results/AllClass1003.txt Just search for Oscar and you will see.

Day two:

6 Runs total. This course was longer than the course used on day one. It was ~ +10 seconds for everybodys previous times. It was a good day! Warm, very little wind, it was good! Traction was good! I was able to get the cars rear end to get loose around some corners, it was interesting...

All results here: http://www.rgrscca.com/results/AllClass1004.txt

Day two was amazing! I consistently cut down on the times...

I was pretty much the slowest car out there... I think I could have done better on my fastest run. Next time around I am taking new tires, so I know that will help a LOT with traction!

Too many things to write down and if I even attempt I might make a mess... So I will just leave it like it is!

Here are a couple of vids!

Run 59 sec
http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/barza21/?action=view¤t=59sec.flv

Run 57 sec
http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/barza21/?action=view¤t=57sec.flv

P.S. Tim, I did get the end loose! 48psi on the rear tires did the trick!!! Hard brakes and cut hard was the right mix!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #6154 Previous topic | Next topic