Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #456
View in linear mode

Subject: "weight reduction benefits" Previous topic | Next topic
RSin oRACLeJan-30-02 09:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
154 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#456, "weight reduction benefits"

ok i know about the whole lighter is better thing but when do u feel a substancial difference ? i recently had a problem with my passanger seat .. so i took it out to find out the problem . after i took it out i also took out the backseat .. i also have the spare and jack out .. so i decide to go for a ride and sure enough .. in my mind she felt a little quicker .. not much but enough to squeel the tires by just giving my auto a 1/2 press on the throttle .

now my question is .. how much weight do u need to drop to feel a big difference ....

Unorthadox racing pulley
Aem short ram intake
Apex-i N1 cat-back(2.5)
Nakiyama flat black euro tails
Black projection headlights
Oz m

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: weight reduction benefits, TeamAvenger, Jan-30-02 10:06 AM, #1
RE: weight reduction benefits, Fast420A, Jan-30-02 10:24 AM, #2
RE: weight reduction benefits, RSin oRACLe, Jan-30-02 10:28 AM, #3
      RE: weight reduction benefits, HadesOmega, Jan-30-02 06:11 PM, #4
           RE: weight reduction benefits, RSin oRACLe, Feb-02-02 07:32 AM, #5
                RE: weight reduction benefits, Vectorracing_B, Feb-02-02 08:35 AM, #6
                     RE: weight reduction benefits, HadesOmega, Feb-02-02 05:18 PM, #7
RE: weight reduction benefits, Eclipse148cel, Feb-04-02 10:39 AM, #8
RE: weight reduction benefits, Vectorracing_B, Feb-09-02 08:48 AM, #9

TeamAvengerJan-30-02 10:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#457, "RE: weight reduction benefits"
In response to Reply # 0

i think it's something like every 100lbs = -.1sec of your 1/4 mile time. Am I right on this?

Oracle, when my car was gutted (just the dash and the drivers seat and center console) it felt much fast but then again is was a HECK of a lot louder too. So I think unless you gut it you won't yeild too much improvement.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Fast420AJan-30-02 10:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#458, "RE: weight reduction benefits"
In response to Reply # 1

I ran at the track with my subs, amps, and backseat and with a 2.4 60' time I ran a 16.6 at 82 or so mph. I went back like 2 weeks later with the car stripped out and pulled a 16.4 at 83.6 mph with 2.4 60' times.

current status unknown

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Drop in K&N Filter and open airbox
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

RSin oRACLeJan-30-02 10:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
154 posts,
#459, "RE: weight reduction benefits"
In response to Reply # 1

well im sure the sum of all those parts plus the pulley and intake weight difference should reduce my weight by at least 150 lbs ..(mind u i have all the trunk plastic out .. its a bitch to keep polished but its worth it ..) isnt .1 of a sec a car length at least ..

the road noise also with the seats out is funny .. u hear everything down to the fuel pump .. not that i mind .. i first noticed it when i gave it a full throttle nail ... u hear a faint .. wshhhhhhhhhhh .. coming from the back seat .. it was kinda cool ..

Unorthadox racing pulley
Aem short ram intake
Apex-i N1 cat-back(2.5)
Oz m

HadesOmegaJan-30-02 06:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#460, "RE: weight reduction benefits"
In response to Reply # 3

haha my fuel pump is freakin loud I can hear it with the seats on.

Well I loaded my car down for a trip to buttonwillow raceway and man was it different, the car was not so nimble and it sure grip the ground really well ^_^.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

RSin oRACLeFeb-02-02 07:32 AM
Old School 2GNTer
154 posts,
#461, "RE: weight reduction benefits"
In response to Reply # 4

hades i would imagine u would man ~~!!~~ how does the upgraded fuel pumps sound ?

Unorthadox racing pulley
Aem short ram intake
Apex-i N1 cat-back(2.5)
Oz m

Vectorracing_BFeb-02-02 08:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
120 posts,
#462, "RE: weight reduction benefits"
In response to Reply # 5

how hard was it to install the fuel pump?

Engine mods-
RS Akimoto short (P.O.S.!) intake, Greddy Sport Cat-back ex.
Suspension-
Ground Control Coil-overs,KYB AGX shocks, RS Akimoto strut bar(front) TSW Trouphies 18x8,Nitto 555's.
Exterior-
Paint! C.F. Hood, Z3 fenders, Street Fighter Gen 2

Remember me?

HadesOmegaFeb-02-02 05:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#463, "RE: weight reduction benefits"
In response to Reply # 6

not hard you just cut the fuel line and put in between then get power for it, I got power from the fuel pump rewire mod relay. haha just doing the rewire makes you pump louder. It's like a buzzing/vibrating sound. At night you can hear it really loud, but after your driving around you don't seem to notice anymore or you could just turn up the beats.

The Airtex inline pump kinda just hangs on the ebrake line, haha looks a little unprofessional but its been working for quite some time. That sucka pumps too!

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Eclipse148celFeb-04-02 10:39 AM
Member since Feb 02nd 2002
143 posts,
#464, "RE: weight reduction benefits"
In response to Reply # 0

well, i definately notice a dif in passenger/no passenger...

I've already gotten enough hell from thinkin weight reduction does any good.

most experienced people will tell you it will shave .1, .2, .3, and so-on off times, but I've noticed much difference in acceleration.

well, also, I haven't taken anything off that i can't put back so far, so i guess i haven't done much of a reduction. I have probably taken around 50 to 70 pounds out so far, and try for more every weekend. But much of my interest lies in at least trying diff things.

I'd say take some things off, if it doesn't bother you, leave em off.

Vectorracing_BFeb-09-02 08:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
120 posts,
#465, "RE: weight reduction benefits"
In response to Reply # 8

Didn't someone make fiberglass hatches for us? Anyone know how much they cost?

Engine mods-
RS Akimoto short (P.O.S.!) intake, Greddy Sport Cat-back ex.
Suspension-
Ground Control Coil-overs,KYB AGX shocks, RS Akimoto strut bar(front) TSW Trouphies 18x8,Nitto 555's.
Exterior-
Paint! C.F. Hood, Z3 fenders, Street Fighter Gen 2

Remember me?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #456 Previous topic | Next topic