Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #4002
View in linear mode

Subject: "Slick instead of stock." Previous topic | Next topic
daniel992gntMar-13-04 04:45 PM
Member since Oct 05th 2003
168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4002, "Slick instead of stock."

I got some mickey thompson slicks 20'/6/14' and put them on my stock rs rims and wow do these things bite!! with the phantom grip they work great. And the gearing is huge! the stock tires are 24.5" tall and these slicks are only 20.5" tall and wow first second and third are unreal. Can't wait to use them at the track. Has anyone had any experiance with slicks this will be my first time using them at the track.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Slick instead of stock., Remy, Mar-16-04 06:38 AM, #1
RE: Slick instead of stock., thegame, Mar-17-04 02:01 AM, #2
      RE: Slick instead of stock., Moderator992gnt, Mar-17-04 06:26 AM, #3
           RE: Slick instead of stock., TeamDR1665, Mar-17-04 07:28 AM, #4
                RE: Slick instead of stock., daniel992gnt, Mar-17-04 11:53 AM, #5
                     RE: Slick instead of stock., Moderator992gnt, Mar-17-04 01:37 PM, #6
                          RE: Slick instead of stock., daniel992gnt, Mar-17-04 03:43 PM, #7
                               RE: Slick instead of stock., qwad65, Mar-17-04 03:56 PM, #8
                               RE: Slick instead of stock., Moderator992gnt, Mar-17-04 04:02 PM, #9
                                    RE: Slick instead of stock., icedout, Mar-17-04 04:08 PM, #10
                                         RE: Slick instead of stock., Moderator992gnt, Mar-18-04 04:22 AM, #12
                               RE: Slick instead of stock., thegame, Mar-18-04 02:35 AM, #11
                                    RE: Slick instead of stock., Vigo, Mar-22-04 09:37 AM, #13
                                    RE: Slick instead of stock., Vigo, Mar-22-04 10:00 AM, #14
                                    RE: Slick instead of stock., daniel992gnt, Mar-22-04 04:07 PM, #15
                                         RE: Slick instead of stock., willmayo, Mar-26-04 05:35 PM, #16
                                              RE: Slick instead of stock., Super20G, Mar-27-04 11:42 AM, #17

RemyMar-16-04 06:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4008, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 0

i am gonna get a set this summer. please keep me posted.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

thegameMar-17-04 02:01 AM
Member since Oct 08th 2002
1311 posts,
#4009, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 1

cool. and u put those on the stock 14's?? how much were they? did u have to buy belts for the slicks? anything else we should know?

New/More Mods Comming... New 1/4 Times In March/April

Moderator992gntMar-17-04 06:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4010, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 2

How low is the bottom of the front bumper to the ground with the slicks on? If it's too low, you will have problems staging since your bumper will break the beams instead of the tires. Then, when you launch the front end will rise and suddenly you're not even staged anymore. Your entire run will be screwed up.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

TeamDR1665Mar-17-04 07:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#4011, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 3

another call for the how much question...

daniel992gntMar-17-04 11:53 AM
168 posts,
#4012, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 4

I got them from the summit for 290$ with shipping. And i am about 2.5" off the ground with my eibach sportlines I got the afx solid mount and the poly inserts in the rear so i hope it doesn't lunch too high.

Moderator992gntMar-17-04 01:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4013, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 5

How did you get the tubes to fit the stock wheel?

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

daniel992gntMar-17-04 03:43 PM
168 posts,
#4014, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by 992gnt
How did you get the tubes to fit the stock wheel?

they are a tubeless slick. And i put them on as dry as i could but i will put a mark on the tire to see if they move on the rim. I called Mickey thompson and they said they shouldn't move at all.

qwad65Mar-17-04 03:56 PM
Member since Feb 07th 2002
711 posts,
#4015, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 7

are you turbo if so how much psi are you runing and are you going to heat them up at the track?

Moderator992gntMar-17-04 04:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4016, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 8

Cool, I didn't know they were making tubeless slicks - in fact I couldn't find any 2 years ago when I was looking. But then again, a 14" wheel wouldn't have fit over my TCE 13" brakes either so I wasn't looking at anything that small.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

icedoutMar-17-04 04:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3139 posts,
#4017, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 9

Hey Greg are you upgrading any suspension or ect other than the emanage....

2006 WW IX MR
2003 BBY EVO VIII (sold)
256.9WHP & 277.9torque
http://s90395832.onlinehome.us/forum//index.php?sid=a70942a7f65043e6c873e12dcd300692

1998 Eclipse RS --show car--

Moderator992gntMar-18-04 04:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4019, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by icedout
Hey Greg are you upgrading any suspension or ect other than the emanage....

After looking at the pic I put in my sig, I'm ordering a rear sway bar before my next auto-x event and my trip to Mid-Ohio. That will probably be it. I'm leery of changing springs/shocks since I don't want it to handle worse. I've heard some guys say that lowering springs handle just as good as the stock suspension, but those are the same guys that say the Sumitomo handles as good as the stock Yoks. Until I find out what *really* works, I'll stay stock. I could less about being able to say I have coilovers if they make the car slower.

Upcoming power mods will be injectors, then FMIC/piping, and cams. I'm in no hurry to do those though, since the returns on an autox or road course won't be as noticable as if I drag raced all the time. I got my 12 sec 1/4, I'm happy with that.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

thegameMar-18-04 02:35 AM
Member since Oct 08th 2002
1311 posts,
#4018, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by daniel992gnt
Originally posted by 992gnt How did you get the tubes to fit the stock wheel?
they are a tubeless slick. And i put them on as dry as i could but i will put a mark on the tire to see if they move on the rim. I called Mickey thompson and they said they shouldn't move at all.

what do u mean by putting them on as dry as u could and seeing if they move? dont understand.

New/More Mods Comming... New 1/4 Times In March/April

VigoMar-22-04 09:37 AM
Member since Dec 15th 2003
37 posts,
#4028, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 11

sometimes if you are running a low enough pressure and making enough power, the wheel will actually spin inside the tire a little instead of spinning the tire. so if you make a mark on the bead of the tire and on your wheel with a grease pencil or something, youll be able to tell if the tire shifts on the wheel.

i dont think theres much chance of it happening in this situation but checking doesnt cost you anything

1993 Dodge Dynasty LE 3.3 Auto, 95k, Stock.
16.2@84mph

VigoMar-22-04 10:00 AM
Member since Dec 15th 2003
37 posts,
#4029, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
Mar-22-04 10:00 AM by Vigo

**laggy double post**

1993 Dodge Dynasty LE 3.3 Auto, 95k, Stock.
16.2@84mph

daniel992gntMar-22-04 04:07 PM
168 posts,
#4030, "RE: Slick instead of stock."

Originally posted by thegame
Originally posted by daniel992gnt
Originally posted by 992gnt How did you get the tubes to fit the stock wheel?
what do u mean by putting them on as dry as u could and seeing if they move? dont understand. New/More Mods Comming... New 1/4 Times In March/April

when you install tires you lube up the tire where it hits the rim. So i used as little of lube as possible so the rubber hits the rims not lube/rubber/rim just rubber/rim.

willmayoMar-26-04 05:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#4035, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 15

bead sealer, lots of it! its your friend. the lube just drys up anyway...

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
S16G @ ~15psi - FMIC - Forged Internals
Clinton Township, MI

Super20GMar-27-04 11:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4037, "RE: Slick instead of stock."
In response to Reply # 16

btw, he's all motor

and he lives down the road from me, hehe... purdie cool, we'll have to meet up sometime

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #4002 Previous topic | Next topic