Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #3986
View in linear mode

Subject: "Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Mar-03-04 04:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3986, "Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"

I stumbled across the AZ Solo2 forum the other night and I'm really wanting to do this soon. I know I need to register with SCCA (well, I should) and maybe get a helmet, considering my melon is larger than most, but I was curious if anyone here in my own backyard at 2GNT did this type of competition regularly and what sort of things have you learned that might help me make the most out of Daisy?

Anyone like to turn the steering wheel too?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, Clay, Mar-03-04 06:54 AM, #1
RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, Moderator992gnt, Mar-03-04 07:01 AM, #2
      RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, TeamDR1665, Mar-03-04 07:16 AM, #3
           RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, Moderator992gnt, Mar-03-04 12:52 PM, #4
                RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, WickedESi, Mar-03-04 06:02 PM, #5
                     RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, Moderator992gnt, Mar-04-04 04:01 AM, #6
                          RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, TeamDR1665, Mar-04-04 04:28 AM, #7
                               RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, Vigo, Mar-08-04 02:45 PM, #8
                                    RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, TeamDR1665, Mar-11-04 04:27 AM, #9
                                         RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, Moderator992gnt, Mar-14-04 12:35 PM, #10
                                              RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, All4thaN0okie, Mar-14-04 04:52 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, Moderator992gnt, Mar-15-04 12:51 PM, #12
                                                        RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, TeamDR1665, Mar-16-04 04:58 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, Moderator992gnt, Mar-16-04 06:25 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, TeamDR1665, Mar-19-04 06:32 AM, #15
                                                                  RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, Vigo, Mar-20-04 01:21 PM, #16
                                                                       RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?, 98starGS, Apr-25-04 08:58 AM, #17

ClayMar-03-04 06:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1790 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3987, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not in SCCA, but i do go with my friends to CSCC Solo2 events.
Get a Helmet that is Snell 90 and after approved (i think), and slowly add mods to get faster. My Tein setup is great, but i have alot of leaning in hard corners. I need sway bars bad.

95 GST | So-Cal

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Moderator992gntMar-03-04 07:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#3988, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 1

I'll be doing 5 or 6 Solo2 events this year, hopefully placing in the top 3 in my regional ESP class. I'm also going to do at least 2 track days, the first being at Mid-Ohio in April. I love truning the wheel. By comparison, I'll probably hit the drag strip only once this year, for our local DSM club shootout in October. 1/4 mile = boring, IMO.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

TeamDR1665Mar-03-04 07:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#3989, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 2

Sweet!

I knew there had to be a few people here that aren't as impressed with ETs on the 1/4mild.

I know this is going to make it hard on me, but I'm building that all-motor beast at the same time with a still stock suspension set up. I might pop for springs, but I'm thinking I'll be rocking like an old canoe the first time out, huh?

How do the 2GNTs handle at the limit out there? I imagine we tend to push pretty hard. I'm hoping I'll be able to fiddle around with tire pressure f/r to ease things out a hair.

Moderator992gntMar-03-04 12:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#3991, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 3

I ran AGX's and Eibach's on my Eclipse along with 16" stock Talon 'swirl' wheels with Kuhmo v700's mounted. The car would push pretty good, but I was able to dial most of it out with shock settings and tire pressure adjustments. I actually spun the car once (270) on a slalom section that was slightly down hill. I only auto-xed the Eclipse for one complete season (and 2 partials). The full season I finished second in DSP. The only time I ran the car with the turbo on it I hand-grenaded the diff.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

WickedESiMar-03-04 06:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#3994, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah my car's differential hand grenaded to (tranny housing peices EVERYWHERE) due to running at an auto-x. I'd advise against it untill you've put safting brackets into your differential housing.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Moderator992gntMar-04-04 04:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#3995, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 5

Running an auto-x won't grenade your diff, wheel-hop will.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

TeamDR1665Mar-04-04 04:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#3996, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by 992gnt
Running an auto-x won't grenade your diff, wheel-hop will.

So my solid-filled motor mounts (an the unmentioned lack of any forced induction power levels like you guys), should keep me pretty good then, eh? I'm also looking to get the retrofit LSD from ERT here this spring/summer sometime. I think it will be pretty cool to see how the car tracks out without and then with it. Do you think this LSD might introduce extra wear? I read in the GB post that they require shimming from time to time and that, the more you race them, the more often they require shimming. Just curious.

Can't wait to get the CVs and the windshield fixed so I can go at it!

VigoMar-08-04 02:45 PM
Member since Dec 15th 2003
37 posts,
#3998, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 7

i've autocrossed the dynasty for over a year and the avenger only twice. i know its not EXACTLY the same as an eclipse, but seriously, its the same suspension on a longer, heavier body.

2 problems i had with the Avenger:

1. SHITTY TIRES. even worse, i had the terrible ones on the front and the half decent ones on the back. BIG mistake.

2. high rpm power steering fluctuations. its kinda like it randomly turns on and off. i think this is a well-kjnown problem, but it was still a pita.

it handled fine. way better than the dynasty. as usual trail braking is the key to success.

end of this month the GF is taking it for a semi school event (her first autocross experience) should get around 20 runs on an educational course (hopefully a 600 foot long slalom, as long as we can fit) that should be more catered toward helping people learn their cars than making them go after the quick time.

imo, coming from the dynasty, the avenger handles fine. it doesnt lean that badly, and just really needs a good set of tires for me to be able to match my dynasty times in it on the same course. and thats despite a huge power deficit in the avenger vs the dynasty.

so, uh, put your good tires on the front LOL, and experiment with your tire pressures if you are having serious understeer problems that ARENT your fault (usually its the driver, keep in mind).

let us know when youve driven your first event.

1993 Dodge Dynasty LE 3.3 Auto, 95k, Stock.
16.2@84mph

TeamDR1665Mar-11-04 04:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#3999, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 8

Thanks for the good advice there sir. Does your Avenger still sport the stock suspension set up? I'm still stock with the exception of new wheels and tires. They're 205/40R17 Hankook Ventus. Not sure if they're going to be very good, but we'll see. I'm still waiting on a new CV and couple bones to replace the windshield, but I just learned recently that the local club mandates a sub 93dB exhaust note. I might have to get something to quiet the old fart cannon down a bit.

As for the power steering, isn't there a restrictor mod you can do to fix that? I think I read somewhere that it's engine speed related and so at 20mph in first gear, it's pretty much off, making for harder turning when you could really use the help.

Again thanks! I'll post up and hopefully get some pics too. Wo0t!

Moderator992gntMar-14-04 12:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4003, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 9

WOOHOO!!! First in class by almost a second over an STI! I still have the winter tires on (235/45-17 Sumitomo HTR+) and let me tell you, they suck. I think I could have gone another second or second and a half faster with the stock Yoko's on. Lots of understeer until the center diff heated up, then it would snap oversteer. What a shitload of fun it was. Sport ABS = the bomb. I was on the ABS just about every corner. The car is so easy to steer with the throttle, it was like driving a RWD. 4 weeks till the next event - I've got a points lead to protect now!

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

All4thaN0okieMar-14-04 04:52 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2001
501 posts,
#4004, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by 992gnt
WOOHOO!!! First in class by almost a second over an STI! I still have the winter tires on (235/45-17 Sumitomo HTR+) and let me tell you, they suck. I think I could have gone another second or second and a half faster with the stock Yoko's on. Lots of understeer until the center diff heated up, then it would snap oversteer. What a shitload of fun it was. Sport ABS = the bomb. I was on the ABS just about every corner. The car is so easy to steer with the throttle, it was like driving a RWD. 4 weeks till the next event - I've got a points lead to protect now!

Greg = the man
so..when do I get a ride in the beast?

Moderator992gntMar-15-04 12:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4005, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 11
Mar-15-04 12:55 PM by 992gnt

I'll be running at the next SCCA auto-x on April 18th at Kentucky Speedway. Bring a helmet.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

TeamDR1665Mar-16-04 04:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#4006, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 12

Damn. Sounds like fun. Maybe I'll talk Sarah into letting me try it in her car since she's still stock. Daisy throws me into some serious shit with the internal mods.

There's also a SCCA Rally on the AZ/CA border I might be checking out here the first weekend in April. I couldn't get to the last autoX event they had because it ended up being over 60miles away and I only had a quarter tank of gas to last until today. Damn.

Damn. Damn. Damn.

Moderator992gntMar-16-04 06:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#4007, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 13

It is a lot of fun. Don't worry about what class you would run in; most clubs put all the noobs in a novice class anyway. Just go out and have a good time.

Heh, I just checked the final standings from my event and I was faster than all but 5 cars out of 100. All of the top 5 cars were on race rubber and putting down more hp than me too, just goes to show that rain IS the great equalizer. Oh, and AWD OWNZ JOO!!!!

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD

TeamDR1665Mar-19-04 06:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#4020, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 14

I saw something about that on the AZ board too. I think you have to run in the novice class for at least 6 events regardless of trim level. We'll see. I just need to get my windshield and CVs fixed. After that, I'd like to get my brakes taken care of. Other than that, I'm ready to have at it!

VigoMar-20-04 01:21 PM
Member since Dec 15th 2003
37 posts,
#4023, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 14

speaking of rain,

i once outran a z06 on race rubber on a moist track but no rain or standing water on my stock dynasty on street tires.. ive never gotten higher than #15 pax but that was hilarious.

evos are a thrill ride in autocross. i think our lot is a little too short for cars like that, corners come up so fast you cant think.

1993 Dodge Dynasty LE 3.3 Auto, 95k, Stock.
16.2@84mph

98starGSApr-25-04 08:58 AM
Member since Nov 11th 2003
528 posts,
#4101, "RE: Who's in the SCCA? Does Solo2?"
In response to Reply # 16

i'm doin the solo 2 in nepa on may 9th with the eclipse but last week my bro raced our se-r it was a awesome time. second in his class. i can't wait to take out the eclipse i'm goin to try and make the rest of the season. i'm pretty excited after watchin the races.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #3986 Previous topic | Next topic