Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #3671
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using the e-brake and 180s" Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseTenzoRNov-15-03 08:22 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3671, "Using the e-brake and 180s"

Have any of you ever screwed around with the e-brake and did 180s with it? Just curious because I never have.. I have 4 wheel disc brakes all around just letting you all know upfront.. and curious on how hard it would be to do some small lil racing stunts and fish tails... could you flip your car doing this? what is the maximum speed to do this SAFELY... p.s i have an automatic.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-15-03 10:08 PM, #1
RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, Blizare, Nov-16-03 03:17 PM, #2
      RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, QC DSM ESiT, Nov-18-03 06:58 AM, #3
           RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, Teamner947, Nov-18-03 09:18 AM, #4
                RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, Doug96GS, Nov-25-03 05:41 PM, #5
                RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, TeamDR1665, Nov-26-03 05:24 AM, #6
                     RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, babybeclipse, Dec-07-03 02:41 PM, #7
                          RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, WickedESi, Dec-11-03 11:52 AM, #8
                               RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-11-03 04:18 PM, #9
                                    RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, BuckNutty, Dec-12-03 01:54 AM, #10
                                         RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, WickedESi, Dec-12-03 05:35 AM, #11
                                              RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-12-03 09:23 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, Hult250R, Dec-14-03 11:59 AM, #13
                                                   RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, yugotdonkey, Dec-22-03 09:25 AM, #14
                                                   RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, TeamDR1665, Dec-22-03 12:56 PM, #15
                                                        RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, CopperEclipse96, Dec-23-03 05:06 PM, #16
                                                             RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, SilverEclipse, Dec-29-03 07:54 AM, #17
                                                                  RE: Using the e-brake and 180s, redeclipset, Dec-29-03 10:37 AM, #18

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-15-03 10:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3672, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 0
Nov-15-03 10:09 PM by DarkOne

Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR
could you flip your car doing this?

Yes.

You could also completely ruin your e-brake setup, and your rear rotors. The e-brake an a 4wheel disc car uses a drum-in-disc configuration, where you have a drum brake for the e-brake inside the hub for the rear disc. So, ruin the e-brake, ruin the pads, ruin the inside drum, ruin the rear disc brake rotor. Worth it?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BlizareNov-16-03 03:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#3680, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm not gonna pull the e-brake anymore. Thanks for the insight Dino

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

QC DSM ESiTNov-18-03 06:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#3696, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 2
Nov-18-03 06:59 AM by QC DSM ESiT

In my POS old car (89 Le Mans) I used to do that all the time. It was pretty fun but I knew it wasn't good for the car. I used to beat the crap out of it doing that all the time. It was pretty fun on gravel and snow too. I NEVER do it on my DSM though. Maybe a little in a unplowed empty parking lot. Don't ever do this though on pavement though VERY BAD FOR YOUR CAR. Believe me I know from the little Le Mans.

I contributed to the wiki!

95 Eagle Talon ESi-T (BACK FROM THE DEAD!)
98 Dodge Neon R/T
93 Saab 900 Turbo Commemorative Editon #86 of 325 (sold)
95 Volkswagen GTI VR6 (saved from crusher)(sold)

Teamner947Nov-18-03 09:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#3697, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 3

i tool around in the winter all the time on ice/snow covered parking lots. occasionally i'll tool around in the rain, but i never pull the e-brake on dry pavement. wears the S-03's too fast. i don't really care about my rear drums at all, i've been looking for an excuse to upgrade them to disks, but they never seem to break or wear out.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Doug96GSNov-25-03 05:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2686 posts,
#3700, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 4

^^^ S-03

P.S. Pulling the e-brake is fun in the snow.

TeamDR1665Nov-26-03 05:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#3701, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by ner947
i don't really care about my rear drums at all, i've been looking for an excuse to upgrade them to disks, but they never seem to break or wear out.

PREACH IT BROTHA! 148,000+ miles on the original shit and not so much as a squeak! As soon as I get a welder or a torch or something, I'm getting those wheels of the back of the parts car to scavenge the rear discs.

At the last meet we had here in Phoenix with the 3G guys, we all went to eat afterwards at TGIFs. John (run4cvr) was getting out of his car as I pulled in across the back of his car to park on his driver's side. There was noone down there and the ground was damp, so I yanked the e-brake and did my psycho slide into the spot next to him. He almost screamed like a little girl. The look on his face...

babybeclipseDec-07-03 02:41 PM
Member since Mar 01st 2002
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3737, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 6

I'm not sure how much damage might be causes e-brake drifting. I'm probably the only one to have ever worn out my ebrake.

I'm going to take my rear brakes apart soon enough to let you know what the concequences are of E-brake drifting.

WickedESiDec-11-03 11:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#3747, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 7

How can it be that bad? What's the problem with it other than wearing down the shoes and cylinder walls?

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

AdministratorCODE4Dec-11-03 04:18 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#3748, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 8

talking about JUST the drum brakes there is not much damage. Now taking into account tire wear and suspension wear of doing it on dry pavement, well I just hope you are doing it on someone else's car and not you DSM. I had a 97 Saturn in High school that I did that all the time in the dry parking lot and by the end of the year the tires were nice and scrubbed and I had some toe problems in the rear. Doing it on rotors can cause warping depending on how much heat build up there is.

If the ground is slick and shit and you do not do it that much there is not much to worry about, assuming you do not hit a dry patch and bring the car up on two wheels lol (Pretty hard to do in my opinion, depending on speed). Either way I would not do them on nice rubber (parrada's, S-03s, etc)

Perform stunt at your own risk.

---

2012 2500HD LML

BuckNuttyDec-12-03 01:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#3749, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 9

hehe....i pull ebrakes on teh highway at speed and haven't had any probs...its all in teh control of it IMO. The e-brake can be a beautiful art...once my actual nice tires n whatnot are on though, no more ebrakes OR burning out for me

WickedESiDec-12-03 05:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#3750, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 10

Yeah I don't pull the e-brake when I'm rollin' on my yokohoma's, but when I put my stock wheels/tires on I have some fun (which already have flat spots). My rear is stiffened a little too so I'm not to worried about toe problems.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-12-03 09:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3751, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 11

Isn't that what the e-brake is for?

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Hult250RDec-14-03 11:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#3752, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by eclipzGST

My thoughts exactly...

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

yugotdonkeyDec-22-03 09:25 AM
Member since May 01st 2003
22 posts,
#3772, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 13

I did it all the time...before i got my rims i had my 14s with shitty rubber, burnt them down in 2 months doing that. Right before i took them off my car wouldnt go above 65 without violently shaking because of flat spots in the wheels. Other than that it was fun stuff...now that i have good rims/tires i dont do it unless its wet out, not enough money to waste on new tires again.

TeamDR1665Dec-22-03 12:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#3774, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by eclipzGST

I always thought it was called the emergencey brake because if you yank that sucker at high speed, you're gonna find yourself in an emergency real quick.

In our cars though, that brake lever is more designed for added security when parking the car, not for COlin McRae-style side slides.

CopperEclipse96Dec-23-03 05:06 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2003
2532 posts,
#3780, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 15
Dec-23-03 05:08 PM by CopperEclipse96

Originally posted by DR1665
In our cars though, that brake lever is more designed for added security when parking the car, not for COlin McRae-style side slides.

thats too bad.

---------------------------------------

-Ian
-1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (SOLD!)
-2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO
-2003 CBR600RR

SilverEclipseDec-29-03 07:54 AM
Member since Jul 19th 2002
67 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3795, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 16

I agree with winter e-braking! So much fun in a big open lot. Just make sure they don't have cameras lol. Maybe my dad will let me have some fun with the miata when it snows a little again

redeclipsetDec-29-03 10:37 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2003
398 posts,
#3796, "RE: Using the e-brake and 180s"
In response to Reply # 17

I always mess with the e-brake. Also i dont have abs and that can be a lot of fun. Never had any problems with the brakes though. Even on dry pavement only thing went wrong was tiny flat spots but they kinda went away.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #3671 Previous topic | Next topic