Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #279
View in linear mode

Subject: "Double Clutching Like I should?!" Previous topic | Next topic
ExcessTalonESiJan-19-02 05:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
223 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#279, "Double Clutching Like I should?!"

LoL, I am just curious, but in the fast and the furious when Dom says, "...And not double clutching like you should!" What the heck does he mean? What's double clutching and how doesit effect a race? Thanks!

~Darby Ellis
2004 Mazda 6 Sedan w/auto-dimming mirror w/homelink and compass, Sportkit w/spoiler, Bose system upgrades

Formerly:

*'96 Eagle Talon ESi-T (TOTALED) = Mods: HRC Stage 2 turbokit / Pilot Motorsports Short Throw / Tokico Illuminas (5 way externally adjustable) / Eibach Pro-Kit

*2003 Nissan Altima (stock)

AIM: ExcessTalonESi
E-Mail: JediDarby16@hotmail.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, daved, Jan-19-02 06:10 PM, #1
RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, Thunderous_Talon, Jan-20-02 03:07 AM, #2
RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, bigbrent88, Jan-24-02 05:14 AM, #3
RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, mkerley, Jan-24-02 07:01 AM, #4
      RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, bigbrent88, Jan-24-02 09:45 AM, #5
      RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, mkerley, Jan-24-02 02:20 PM, #6
           RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, HadesOmega, Jan-28-02 09:18 PM, #7
                RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, mkerley, Jan-29-02 01:44 AM, #8
                     RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, HadesOmega, Jan-29-02 07:36 AM, #9
                          RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, dudasd, Feb-05-02 04:23 PM, #10
                               RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, HadesOmega, Feb-07-02 09:23 PM, #11
      RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, BlackSoCalZ, Feb-08-02 09:50 PM, #12
           RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, CVedEclipse, Feb-08-02 10:10 PM, #13
                RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, BlackSoCalZ, Feb-08-02 10:16 PM, #14
                     RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, Strauss, Feb-09-02 03:18 AM, #15
                          RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, BlackSoCalZ, Feb-09-02 09:42 AM, #16
                               RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, damasta, Feb-14-02 02:46 PM, #17
                                    RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!, HadesOmega, Feb-14-02 03:46 PM, #18

davedJan-19-02 06:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
665 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#280, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't explain to you what it is but I know it is pointless to do in a race, it will slow you down. I will let someone else jump in to explain what it really is.

1999 Eclipse RS (all show)
1990 Turbo Eclipse (race)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Thunderous_TalonJan-20-02 03:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1422 posts,
#281, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 1

Basically double clutching is when you go to down shift(pointless in a race)you also press the gas to raise the rpms so its a smoother transition instead of a hard grab. pointless not needed and another f*cked up part of TFATF

Original 15 of 2gnt.com

bigbrent88Jan-24-02 05:14 AM
Member since Jan 13th 2002
692 posts,
#282, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 0

You need to double clutch when upshifting too. You only do this with a lightened flywheel, because the revs drop much faster so you have to pop the revs back up to where they need to be. So to double clutch you release the gas and push in the clutch like normal, but you then re-engage the clutch and blip the throttle to get the revs where you need them, then push the clutch in again and re-engage like normal, now if you get a better clutch and a 50% short shifter, you can probably keep your revs in a good range with a lightened flywheel, hope that helped.

mkerleyJan-24-02 07:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#283, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 3

Double clutching is pointless in our car (b/c we have synchros). Everyone's right about that. But, double clutching is where you push the clutch in, put it into neutral and let the clutch out. Then, you push the clutch back in and shift to the next gear as normal. It is a way of manually emulating the synchros to speed match your shifts. Double clutching in our cars will just wear the clutch needlessly.

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

bigbrent88Jan-24-02 09:45 AM
Member since Jan 13th 2002
692 posts,
#284, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 4

Synchros won't help you if your 2,000rpm from where you need to be, whixh a lightened flywheel will do, unless you get s better clutch and short shifter. And why try to burn out your synchro during racing.

mkerleyJan-24-02 02:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#285, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 5

>Synchros won't help you if your 2,000rpm from where you need
>to be, whixh a lightened flywheel will do, unless you get s
>better clutch and short shifter. And why try to burn out
>your synchro during racing.

How are you getting 2k rpm from where you need to be? i believe synchros work regardless of how far your rpms are from being matched. and if you're racing and you're 2k rpms apart, you either missed a gear or you're gonna lose anyways cuz you shift too slow

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

HadesOmegaJan-28-02 09:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#286, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 6

you are dead wrong buddy, double clutching will only prolong the life of you tranny and clutch because your clutch won't slip as much on the flywheel. Brent is right if the fly wheel is spinning same speed as clutch it won't rub together as hard. Now does you clutch like you riding it and slipping it like that no, double clutching makes it easier on your driveline. What they said in fast and the furious is a bunch of bs I'll admit that because you don't double clutch on an upshift.

But double clutch is a racing technique, I have been double clutching and heel and toeing ever since I learned of it on the 2GNT page and my teacher taught me. Basically it's a smoother way to down shift, I don't know what brent was saying about needing to do it with a lightened fly wheel though. Double clutching makes downshifting smoother, you rev match the engine to the clutch (I forget it's the two different moving parts). Which doesn't make your car jerk or upset the cars balance. So when you double clutch the car doens't bolt back and just keep on accelerating. It would be useful for downshifting on a straight or highway battling. I've heard you can mess up your syncros from a post a LONG time ago but mine are fine after like a million double clutches. There are two way to double clutch and it worx either way.

Clutch in (single clutch)
Shift into neutral
Clutch out
blip the throttle to rev match (rev match as in match the RPM to how fast you think you'll go when you downshift you kinda just feel have to feel it)
Then clutch in (double clutch)
and downshift into lower gear
clutch out
and apply throttle
(this way I heard is for old cars that you couldn't apply gas and downshift at the same time, I used to do it like this)

other way:
Clutch in
Shift into neutral
Clutch out
blip throttle and revmatch while clutching out (kinda like slippin the clutch)
and apply throttle as your letting clutch out

Don't say double clutching is pointless because double clutching is an advanced driving technique that road racers (like me) live by.

Heel and toe is an even faster way to downshift and revmatch but I won't get into that.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

mkerleyJan-29-02 01:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#287, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 7

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your "other way", but it sounds to me like the way I drive all the time and not double clutching at all. You are right in your first method of double clutching and that it is for older cars (which don't have synchros).
If you use the first method you listed, go ahead and do all that. It's still a waste of time in my mind. In a race, I'd prefer the engine to be engaged with the wheels rather than pushing the clutch in and out several times among other things I listed above.
Star Stage III

HadesOmegaJan-29-02 07:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#288, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 8

Well it's used to downshift smoother so you don't upset the cars balance, see how when you dump the clutch or let it out the cars tends to jerk back wanting to stop? Double clutching will makes your car go forward instead of jerk back. It's not used for drag racing if that's what your thinking, in drag you just upshift it's just mainly for highway battling and road racing. I"ve used both methods and they work fine for me just the second methods seems a bit faster.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

dudasdFeb-05-02 04:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
735 posts,
#289, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 9

so from the very lenghty version of how to "double clutch" why would you not just keep your foot in the throttle and slam it down, it'll still match your RPM's up and save you those precious milli-seconds for the "go to neutral let it out and then blip the throtle and shift to the next gear" ........to me just staying in the gas like your powershifting seems to suffice for RPM matching if your quick enough.....

HadesOmegaFeb-07-02 09:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#290, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 10

it's called rev matching dude, it's not going to do you any good to rev too high, you have to rev close to the same rpm the engine is spinning at. Arrrghhh no1 believes me huh if I could show you I would, it's not something stupid like keeping the gas down when you shift. Why don't you try mashing the gas pedal down between shifts, your clutch will scream for mercy.

Double clutching will not make your clutch slip at all, its instantaneously acceleration/engagement. You can keep the gas down if you want but you have to apply enough gas to rev match, you can't just floor it, or else the fly wheel will just spin faster than the clutch and it'll just slip to the proper speed when you could have just revved to the proper speed and no slippy at all. Man I'm going to have to make a webpage about this.

Whatever happened to that one page about double clutching on the 2GNT page? the racing section is gone now that's where I first learned about double clutching.

Who sez FF can't drift?

BlackSoCalZFeb-08-02 09:50 PM
Old School 2GNTer
67 posts,
#291, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 4

Heres some good reading on double clutching http://integra.vtec.net/driving/dclutch.html

But MKerley had it right about the definition of double clutching. Clutch in > put car into neutral >clutch out >clutch back in>car into gear of choice > clutch back out. Syncros in your tranny do all the work for you so you can just go from gear to gear, and the syncros will match speeds for you so you dont get the not so fun "crunch" But in older cars without syncromesh transmissions, you have to double clutch to get your gears to engage cleanly

- Ryan

2000 Camaro Z28 - M6
367.9 RWHP/360.2 RWTQ
http://Ryans2000Z28.freewebspace.com

CVedEclipseFeb-08-02 10:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#292, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 12

yea... older cars!! not my car you ass!!

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

BlackSoCalZFeb-08-02 10:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
67 posts,
#293, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 13

>yea... older cars!! not my car you ass!!

haha, your clutch seemed to be breaking just fine without my help :p

2000 Camaro Z28 - M6
367.9 RWHP/360.2 RWTQ

StraussFeb-09-02 03:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
953 posts,
#294, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 14

Nice camaro man, I like the rims!

BlackSoCalZFeb-09-02 09:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
67 posts,
#295, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 15

>Nice camaro man, I like the rims!

Thanks man!

2000 Camaro Z28 - M6
367.9 RWHP/360.2 RWTQ

damastaFeb-14-02 02:46 PM
Member since Dec 16th 2001
302 posts,
#296, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 16

YEAH! And those Corvette rims are sick as hell dude.

Coo'
alex_ries@hotmail.com

Coo'
alex_ries@hotmail.com

HadesOmegaFeb-14-02 03:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#297, "RE: Double Clutching Like I should?!"
In response to Reply # 17

breaking? I'm not breaking anything in my car by double clutching. Don't double clutch if you don't want, you'll be breaking it sooner than me.

>Clutch in
>put car into neutral
>clutch out
>clutch back in
>car into gear of choice
>clutch back out.

that's wrong it's

Clutch in
put car in neutral
clutch out
blip the throttle and revmatch (as in estimate what rpm the engine will spin at when you downshift, generally 1k less than the gear you on already.)
clutch in
downshift (notice I didn't say upshift)
clutch out
throttle

It seems long but I can do it in like 2 seconds after awhile you can just feel it. I don't care if we have syncros or not double clutching will work on any manual car.

Who sez FF can't drift?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #279 Previous topic | Next topic