Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #2300
View in linear mode

Subject: "What size rims should I get?" Previous topic | Next topic
gseclipse_1999Feb-01-03 09:38 AM
Member since Jul 30th 2002
51 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2300, "What size rims should I get?"

last season was my first year racing and I was pulling 2.4s, 2.5s 60ft times. I was thinking about going to a larger rim to help keep my tires from spinning, but I now the down side of having a slower ET. I currently have 16's on now I was looking at going to a 17 or an 18. Can I get some feed back at what type of light weight rim that might work.

Thanks to all that reply

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/388c65bb/bc/My+Photos/EclipseGS.jpg?bcL2Yy9AlyNoJpzA
Eclipse GS 1999 10th Ann.
Greddy Headers
AirMass Catback Exhaust
Nology Plug Wires
Nology Spark Plugs
AEM Cool Air Intake
Jet Chip

Still to do this winter

Bore throttle body 57mm
Install AEM Pully Kit

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ezFeb-01-03 02:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2301, "RE: What size rims should I get?"
In response to Reply # 0
Feb-01-03 02:23 PM by ez

THE solution: get centerlines. since they are spun forged, so they weigh less than a rim that is 2"-3" less in diameter!!! If I ever get new rims, that's what I want

for example, a 19" wheel one piece weighs 14.89 pounds!!!! a 17" only weighs 13.5 lbs, and a 18" weighs 14.2 lbs

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorVX100Feb-01-03 07:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#2302, "don't do it"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't waste the money or time buying 17s or 18s to reduce wheelspin. The lower profile tires would actually more likely spin than higher profile tires. It is better to have a taller profile tire for launching than a shorter one, a taller, softer sidewall lets the tire hook up better on the launch.

With stock tires, at least high 2.2 60' times should be possible if not a bit lower. You should keep practicing the launch to get better 60' times, not try to cover up lack of racing experience with a modification. That just leaves the original problem behind, since you would then have heavy rims and tires slowing your car down, AND you will STILL be launching poorly.

The money you have will be FAR better spent on practice at the drag strip than on new rims!

Just do a searcch (if it is working) on how to launch correctly in this section or the "things we've seen before" area, t should be somewhere.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

98TalonFeb-03-03 11:50 AM
Member since Apr 22nd 2002
1096 posts,
#2308, "RE: don't do it"
In response to Reply # 2

very well said todd, I can pull 2.30's and 2.29's on 15" rims with BFG comp TA's easily. Just practice that launch man, and STAY OUT OF THE WATER BOX!!!!!!!!

1990 Eclipse GS-T

gseclipse_1999Feb-05-03 03:03 AM
Member since Jul 30th 2002
51 posts,
#2317, "RE: What size rims should I get?"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks guys for your responses. I think I will stick with my 16's and keep working on that launch.

Thanks Again

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/388c65bb/bc/My+Photos/EclipseGS.jpg?bcL2Yy9AlyNoJpzA
Eclipse GS 1999 10th Ann.
Greddy Headers
AirMass Catback Exhaust
Nology Plug Wires
Nology Spark Plugs
AEM Cool Air Intake
Jet Chip

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #2300 Previous topic | Next topic