Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #9727
View in linear mode

Subject: "amp not working" Previous topic | Next topic
95_ESi_PersonSep-12-04 06:14 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9727, "amp not working"

ok, this is not for my car, mine works PERFECTLY!!!

I gave one of my 10" MTX subs to a friend, she bought a 250 watt Sony Explode amp... I had to run the power cable underneath the car and into the trunk....

Here's the thing, Power does get to the trunk (shorted it out just to make sure (need to buy a new fuse due to my little test) to a possible ground spot where I put the ground cable...

The power light does NOT light up! Amp will not turn on. Remote wire is connected to the power antenna/remote wire on the wiring harness on the reciever... done just how it should be done, like I've done before.

What could be causing this to not turn on? More info for you guys, like it will help anything... car is a 95 Grand Prix, headunit is a JVC from walmart... amp was purchased at walmart also.

I do appreciate any help/advice that is offered.

I'm just confused as to why it's not working... with mine (MTX Thunder 4122 200Watt amp) if the 12V power cable is attached to the amp and the ground is not connected the power light will be on (off if ground is connected and radio/car is off) The only difference is that I'm using the MTX amp and I'm using an 8Ga Monster Cable wiring kit, she's using the walmart kind, SCOSCHE? I think.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: amp not working, SPL_Eclipse, Sep-12-04 06:40 PM, #1
RE: amp not working, 95_ESi_Person, Sep-12-04 08:38 PM, #2
      RE: amp not working, madhatter210, Sep-13-04 12:10 AM, #3
           RE: amp not working, 95_ESi_Person, Sep-13-04 01:54 AM, #4
                fixed now, 95_ESi_Person, Sep-13-04 07:52 PM, #5
                     RE: fixed now, Dont_need_8, Sep-14-04 04:56 PM, #6
                          RE: fixed now, 95_ESi_Person, Sep-14-04 08:12 PM, #7

SPL_EclipseSep-12-04 06:40 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9730, "RE: amp not working"
In response to Reply # 0

the first thing you need to do is buy a multimeter. they are around 8-10 bucks..INVEST IN ONE!

my best guess as to where the problem lies is the ground. its very easy to ground to a metal surface which is somehow insulated from the cars chassis. so...heres my advice:

1) unplug the RCAs from the amp. if the amp doesnt recieve a good ground reference from where it ought to, it may try grounding through the shield on the RCAs...which endagers the headunit.

2) hook up the ground and power wires. use a multimeter to probe the connections (put the red probe to the positive termanal and the black one to the negative terminal) to ensure that there is indeed a voltage reference between the two (use the DC voltage setting to probe this BTW) if not, find another ground.

3) once you read a nice 12+v reading, hook up the remote turn-on lead. now turn on the headunit (leave the RCAs unattached). it should light up. if not, probe the remote wire the same way you did the power wire. if the remote wire is dead the amp wont turn on.

4) if it still wont turn on, run a jumper wire from the positive terminal to the remote turn-on terminal (you can use a small guage wire). it should light up immediatly. if not, the amp is broken. do NOT leave the amp hooked up in this fashion, as it will drain the battery. its only for testing purposes.

as soon as the amp lights up (no matter what the step), reconnect the RCA input cables. everything should be fine.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95_ESi_PersonSep-12-04 08:38 PM
3260 posts,
#9733, "RE: amp not working"
In response to Reply # 1

I know that where I was going to was a very good ground, scraped all the paint off, bare metal.

I'm pretty sure the fault lies within either the remote wire or in the amp... this sucks because I'm gonna need to take apart her dash AGAIN!!! not as bad as in the Talon, but it's a pain none the less.

Would it matter that the remote wire is also connected to a power antenna?

madhatter210Sep-13-04 12:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2720 posts,
#9735, "RE: amp not working"
In response to Reply # 2

This should be an obvious second problem.....some stupid dipshit bought the amp before your friend.... brought it home and shorted it out then got back in his car and returned it to walmart.Walmart is notorious for that shit which is why I never buy electronics from walmart. lmao bring it back and get another one

http://www.murderpimp.com

2gnt T-shirts&swag
http://www.cafepress.com/mads

95_ESi_PersonSep-13-04 01:54 AM
3260 posts,
#9736, "RE: amp not working"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by madhatter210
This should be an obvious second problem.....some stupid dipshit bought the amp before your friend.... brought it home and shorted it out then got back in his car and returned it to walmart.Walmart is notorious for that shit which is why I never buy electronics from walmart. lmao bring it back and get another one

I'm thinking that this amp should be traded for another one... if that doesn't work then my wiring is faulty, I'm willing to bet that it's the amp.... I'll put it in my car to see if that is the case as I already know that mine works just fine.

95_ESi_PersonSep-13-04 07:52 PM
3260 posts,
#9741, "fixed now"
In response to Reply # 4

it was the goddamned remote wire.

I put the amp in my car and it turned on...

when I wired the wiring harness for her head unit last year I did so with the remote/antenna wire hooked up because she said that her car had a power antenna.... it didn't...

cut it and re-fixed it, now it works. it's sort of odd that my 200 watt amp is a LOT louder than the 250 watt amp that my friend bought.

Dont_need_8Sep-14-04 04:56 PM
Member since Aug 30th 2002
197 posts,
#9753, "RE: fixed now"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by 95_ESi_Person
it's sort of odd that my 200 watt amp is a LOT louder than the 250 watt amp that my friend bought.

Sony vs Walmart (Scoche?). The 250 watt rating may be max, your 200 watt rating maybe RMS. Marketing and advertising is a bitch.

AEM CAI, AFX Underdrive Pulley, Greddy Header, Tsudo N1 2.5 stainless catback, Homemade groundwire kit
17" Fondmetal 6500, Tokico Illuminas, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Front Upper Strut Bar, Baer Track System, Drum to Disc, RMDSM Anti-sway bars front and rear.

95_ESi_PersonSep-14-04 08:12 PM
3260 posts,
#9754, "RE: fixed now"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Dont_need_8
Originally posted by 95_ESi_Person it's sort of odd that my 200 watt amp is a LOT louder than the 250 watt amp that my friend bought.
Sony vs Walmart (Scoche?). The 250 watt rating may be max, your 200 watt rating maybe RMS. Marketing and advertising is a bitch.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that...

My friend, 250 watt Sony explode and SCOSCHE? wiring kit... both purchased at walmart

Me, 200 Watt MTX and Monster Cable, both purchased at Circuit city...
Ok, just found my MTX amp box... 120 watts RMS bridged... 200 Watts Dynamic Bridged.

I'm guessing that RMS is the average that the sub ever sees, and that Dynamic is peak power going to the sub?

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #9727 Previous topic | Next topic