Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #911
View in linear mode

Subject: "HELP WITH AMP" Previous topic | Next topic
Twobuf4uNov-28-01 10:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
285 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#911, "HELP WITH AMP"

O-k heres my problem.........I have 2 Kenwood 12's. 600 Watt max. 160 RMS. 4-ohms. I am looking at a Legacy 690 American Series 2. Its max watt is 1000. It says...."Bridged Watt RMS" is 250 x 2. Will that amp work with my speakers? It doesnt say if it is 2 ohms or 4ohms.

Black Sapphire '96 RS w/ Blitz Kit
AEM CAI,AFX UDP,Apexi N1 Exhaust,NGK BKR-5e11 Plugs,Magnecore Wires,Primax 496 17's w/ Falken Azenis Tires,Blue Interior Lights,Greddy Shifter Knob-Boot-Pedals, TYC Black Taillights

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: HELP WITH AMP, LoudEclipse, Nov-28-01 10:32 AM, #1
RE: HELP WITH AMP, Twobuf4u, Nov-28-01 12:08 PM, #2
      RE: HELP WITH AMP, Teameclipse804, Nov-28-01 04:40 PM, #3
           RE: HELP WITH AMP, Fast420A, Nov-28-01 05:40 PM, #4
                RE: HELP WITH AMP, CVedEclipse, Nov-28-01 09:58 PM, #5
                     RE: HELP WITH AMP, CVedEclipse, Nov-28-01 09:59 PM, #6
                          RE: HELP WITH AMP, Twobuf4u, Nov-29-01 12:03 AM, #7
RE: HELP WITH AMP, Moderatorsd_eclipse, Nov-29-01 03:52 AM, #8
RE: HELP WITH AMP, poplife319, Dec-01-01 01:18 AM, #9

LoudEclipseNov-28-01 10:32 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1758 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#912, "RE: HELP WITH AMP"
In response to Reply # 0

============================================================

wo0t!
============================================================
hehehe, 1000 legacy watts..... save your pennies and buy something else, imo

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Twobuf4uNov-28-01 12:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
285 posts,
#913, "RE: HELP WITH AMP"
In response to Reply # 1

Yea, i talked to one of my friends about it. I think im gonna get an amp thats about 300X1 150X2.....for $75.....and actually on that legacy 1000watt amp. It was only $109.99. I didnt think it was that bad of a price. I just don't need that much power.

AEM CAI,AFX UDP,Apexi N1 Exhaust,NGK BKR-5e11 Plugs,Magnecore Wires,Primax 496 17's w/ Falken Azenis Tires,Blue Interior Lights,Greddy Shifter Knob-Boot-Pedals, TYC Black Taillights

Teameclipse804Nov-28-01 04:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#914, "RE: HELP WITH AMP"
In response to Reply # 2

Umm make sure the $75 amp you buy is a good one since a lot of cheap companies overrate their amps by a lot. You usually get what you pay for, and should spend at least over 100 bucks.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Fast420ANov-28-01 05:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#915, "RE: HELP WITH AMP"
In response to Reply # 3

I spent $200 on a USAcoustic 150x2@4ohms or 450X1 @4ohms mono. This amp sounded really good running my 3 10's and I was very happy with the sound. I got another amp for my fronts and rears and had to turn up the gain on the sub amp to match and after doing this the amp lasted about 1 month and started blowing caps off the circuit board. After fixing it twice I got sick of it and spent $300 on an ////Alpine V-12 amp that was rated 85WX2@4ohms. I could not believe the difference. Not only is the alpine amp louder but the bass was so clean and clear! I will never go cheap on audio gear again.

Missing Car. . .
Contemplating Turbo. . . . .

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Nameless Cold Air Intake with a K&N Filter
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

CVedEclipseNov-28-01 09:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#916, "RE: HELP WITH AMP"
In response to Reply # 4

just remember, you get what you pay for. there is reason why some amps are damn expensive (well, some are for the name and to pay for advertising, but you get what i mean). two amps can claim to give out the same amount of wattage, but one will out perform the other. not too sure about legacy. im sure you could do better, but then im sure you could do worse. is there a way you could hear it before you buy it?

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

CVedEclipseNov-28-01 09:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#917, "RE: HELP WITH AMP"
In response to Reply # 5

oh yea, find out the definite ohms for the amp and the subs. its important.

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

Twobuf4uNov-29-01 12:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
285 posts,
#918, "RE: HELP WITH AMP"
In response to Reply # 6

The only reason this amp is so cheap is because it is used. A little over 3 months old. And the guy im getting it from works in an audio store. And he says that is a good amp. Which i trust him i got my Pionner Speakers in my car from him, and they are really good. Im not sure of the brand of it yet. I am going to look/buy it this weekend. I will post when i get the brand name.

Moderatorsd_eclipseNov-29-01 03:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
#919, "RE: HELP WITH AMP"
In response to Reply # 0

Hmm, from your message i gather its a 4 channel amp since you state 250x2 bridged a 2 channel amp would be single line bridged. Going off that figure its power rating would look something like so.
62.5x4 @4ohms
125x4 @2ohms
250x2 @4ohms bridged.

poplife319Dec-01-01 01:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
30 posts,
#920, "RE: HELP WITH AMP"
In response to Reply # 0

You really need to carefully consider what amp you get for your sub amp because that is the amp that is going to work the hardest. Powering subs draws a lot of current from an amp. That is why some people's headlights dim on a heavy bassnote. And cheaper amps, like Legacy or Pyramid, don't handle that current draw very well without introducing A LOT of distortion into your subs. And distortion is the reason that speakers blow 99% of the time. So, I would suggest that you spend a lil more money and get a high-quality amp. I've been selling car audio for quite awhile and one of the lines that I have sold is MTX. MTX makes great amps for their price. And if you can find a mom and pop store that sells it, you can try to talk them down on the price cuz there is a ton of profit in those amps.

hope this helps
pop

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #911 Previous topic | Next topic