Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #8806
View in linear mode

Subject: "The Hornet Alarm Q" Previous topic | Next topic
AggressionApr-14-04 09:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8806, "The Hornet Alarm Q"
Apr-14-04 09:06 AM by Aggression

Ok I have a cheap ass Hornet alarm and the problem is sometimes when I go to either arm or disarm its suppose to make a chirping sound. But sometimes and this is totaly random, it will arm or disarm but will not chirp. What the hell is up with that? The only thing I could think of is the temperature outside, but thats why I am asking is because I have no idea.

I am going to be in the market for a new alarm soon and was wondering what a good alarm would be. I want to spend about 250 tops for it. I want to be able to adjust the sensitivity to very sensitive so that even loud sounds will set it off. As of right now you could kick my tire and it won't always go off. All imput is appreciated...just looking for a decent alarm to protect my car for a very reasonable price...aren't we all!!!

TIA

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi
- 97 eclipse gs (289whp w/ 276tq)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: The Hornet Alarm Q, SPL_Eclipse, Apr-14-04 09:17 AM, #1
RE: The Hornet Alarm Q, Aggression, Apr-14-04 09:23 AM, #2
RE: The Hornet Alarm Q, coppereclipse95, Apr-14-04 06:50 PM, #6
      RE: The Hornet Alarm Q, SPL_Eclipse, Apr-14-04 07:34 PM, #7
RE: The Hornet Alarm Q, coppereclipse95, Apr-14-04 09:25 AM, #3
RE: The Hornet Alarm Q, Aggression, Apr-14-04 09:29 AM, #4
      RE: The Hornet Alarm Q, MCubed45, Apr-14-04 04:56 PM, #5
RE: The Hornet Alarm Q, Eclipsekit, May-07-04 12:52 PM, #8

SPL_EclipseApr-14-04 09:17 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8808, "RE: The Hornet Alarm Q"
In response to Reply # 0

for the first question: alarms act really wierd when they are getting insuffeciant voltage. if it has always done this, i would double check the connections to the alarm brain, and the status of the battery. if it just recently started, i woudl say the brain is going bad.

for the second question: anything by DEI will work. yes, the hornet is made by DEI, but its the lowest line. just find what suits the features you want.

on a side note: a high sensitivity is a bad thing, as you will piss off your neighbors everytime a harley/truck/aftermarket exhaust car passes by. a better idea is to locate the shock sensor to a central-most position on the car, and turn the sensativity down to a reasonable level. think about this: if soemone wanted to puncture your tires, scratch your car up, smash your windows, or whatever....and alarm isnt going to help, no matter how high the sensitivity is. the culprit will be long-gone by the time you reach the car. you only want to protect against breakings with an intent to steal the car or steal somthing inside of it. even at a low sensativity, this will cause enough movement to set the alarm off.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AggressionApr-14-04 09:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#8809, "RE: The Hornet Alarm Q"
In response to Reply # 1
Apr-14-04 09:24 AM by Aggression

You have a point about that and thanks for your help...I wish I could rate you again for points but it won't let me...thanks again man.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

coppereclipse95Apr-14-04 06:50 PM
Member since Apr 29th 2002
1068 posts,
#8818, "RE: The Hornet Alarm Q"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by SPL_Eclipse
for the first question: alarms act really wierd when they are getting insuffeciant voltage. if it has always done this, i would double check the connections to the alarm brain, and the status of the battery. if it just recently started, i woudl say the brain is going bad.

Hey SPL, so you don't think cold freezing temp has anything to do with it? Because on warm days, it works great. Just on cold days is acts like shit. I though it was like those florecent(sp?) lights in cold room, how they flicker concept.

1995 Eclipse RS

SPL_EclipseApr-14-04 07:34 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#8819, "RE: The Hornet Alarm Q"
In response to Reply # 6

copper:

yes, temperature can effect connections, because metalic substances shrink in cold weather and enlarge in warm weather. the relays inside the alarm brain are sensative to these changes. its rare, but can happen, in theory. theres nothing you can do about it other than replacing the brain.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

coppereclipse95Apr-14-04 09:25 AM
Member since Apr 29th 2002
1068 posts,
#8810, "RE: The Hornet Alarm Q"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Aggression
Ok I have a cheap ass Hornet alarm and the problem is sometimes when I go to either arm or disarm its suppose to make a chirping sound. But sometimes and this is totaly random, it will arm or disarm but will not chirp. What the hell is up with that? The only thing I could think of is the temperature outside, but thats why I am asking is because I have no idea.

I don't know, but mine does that to. The chriping doesn't work all the time in COLD weather. I think under mid 30s, my alarm skips every other chriping. But like today in low 40s or anything higher, it works like it should.
BTW this only happens when the car has been sitting for over night or for a while, after driving/engine temp is warmed up...no more skipping

1995 Eclipse RS

AggressionApr-14-04 09:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#8811, "RE: The Hornet Alarm Q"
In response to Reply # 3

Yah thats what I'm talkin about. But sometimes it does it even when those situations aren't true. So like he said I think its probably the brain.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

MCubed45Apr-14-04 04:56 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#8817, "RE: The Hornet Alarm Q"
In response to Reply # 4

i think that's the one my mom has on her van. idk if it's the brain or a crappy install but it chirps at random times too. usally after you arm it chirps once like normal then a couple seconds later it chirps like 4 times in a row. it does this occasionally when the car's disarmed too...

idk i don't care for that alarm at all and i don't think it'll do very much to deter anyone. but it's on dodge caravan so i don't think anyone wants it anyways.

i have a viper on my car and it kicks ass.

-marc

EclipsekitMay-07-04 12:52 PM
Member since May 06th 2004
14 posts,
#8978, "RE: The Hornet Alarm Q"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Aggression
I want to be able to adjust the sensitivity to very sensitive so that even loud sounds will set it off. As of right now you could kick my tire and it won't always go off. All imput is appreciated...just looking for a decent alarm to protect my car for a very reasonable price...aren't we all!!! TIA

I have a 97 GS... Ever since i got my car people tried to steal my subs,deck,rims... and then even tried to steal my car... my alarm stoped them all... i have a viper alarm with full sensitivity... i love it you tap the car it chirps 3 times... you tap it again it chirps 3 times... if a loud truck/exhaust goes past my car it will chirp... if same car continues or another car continues to go past my car it will go off... because the first chirp was a warning...If you kick the tired/rim lightly it will beep to answere your question...basically if u tap anywhere on the car my alarm will chirp at you...i was also going to get a proximity sensor but their is no reason to because my car will cause attention at the given time of a person tryign to get into my car... now a alarm like mine may not be the best option for you if ur not in a private neighborhood as the other kid said before your nieghbors will get pissed at you...i so happens live in a neighborhood that alot of cars do not use as a main road, so their for my alarm does not go off.. so if you want a good alarm go with viper and put at full sensitivity...but any loud sound/ stomp on the ground will trigger the warning/set off the alarm...hope this helps you

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #8806 Previous topic | Next topic