Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #823
View in threaded mode

Subject: "how hard is it to instal an alarm?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
optimuspetersonNov-26-01 04:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#823, "how hard is it to instal an alarm?"

i'm just kind of curious

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
koolade9Nov-26-01 06:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#824, "RE: how hard is it to instal an alarm?"
In response to Reply # 0

depends.... to just install it....anyone who knows 12v can do it. but if you want it done RIGHT, go out and pay someone. goto circuit city, buy a viper alarm, and parts/labor are guaranteed for life.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

CVedEclipseNov-26-01 11:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#825, "RE: how hard is it to instal an alarm?"
In response to Reply # 1

for life? thats pretty sweet. how much is it at circuit city?

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

Teameclipse804Nov-27-01 07:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#826, "RE: how hard is it to instal an alarm?"
In response to Reply # 2

Most good alarm shops will warranty their work for life. Like the clifford alarm I have has lifetime warranty on the brain and basic parts, and the shop will do the labor for free...

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Moderatorsd_eclipseNov-27-01 09:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
#827, "RE: how hard is it to instal an alarm?"
In response to Reply # 3

If you have a fair understanding of electronics installing an alarm isn't that bad. Takes a fair amount of time finding the wires you will need to tap but thats about it.

Circuit City as well as most other places do charge for alarm install. You just don't know it. Having worked at CC in the past I can tell you that when you see the prices on the wall with free install next to them the install price is already figured in. At Circuit city they used to ring up alarms like so. Listed price on the wall $349.99, they sell you the alarm for $249.99 and tack on $100 in labor for install. You still end up paying the 349.99 and thinking you got a "free install" kinda tricky but no one really notices it.

Teameclipse804Nov-27-01 11:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#828, "RE: how hard is it to instal an alarm?"
In response to Reply # 4

Yup, that's why you should haggle at alarm shops over out the door installed prices in cash. I ended up saving about a hundred bucks on my clifford...

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

jZaNov-27-01 03:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#829, "RE: how hard is it to instal an alarm?"
In response to Reply # 5

please make sure you go to a good shop. The people that did mine overcharged me, told me i'd get any problems fixed in the future, did the shittiest damn rigging of wires, didn't know what the hell they were doing so took two days, on the second day the owner asked me for $5 so they can buy beer (no joke)...had a problem, went back and th SOB said it ain't covered more than a year (i din't have ish to prove he told me lifetime). Feel my pain gentlemen

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

koolade9Nov-28-01 05:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#830, "RE: how hard is it to instal an alarm?"
In response to Reply # 6

you get what you pay for though...

an alarm is ALL in the installation. most of the alarms you guys have, I could completely disable in under 20 seconds. you want a real security system....you have to pay for it, and the install is much more complex.

LoudEclipseNov-28-01 07:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1758 posts,
#831, "RE: how hard is it to instal an alarm?"
In response to Reply # 7

============================================================

wo0t!
============================================================
My alarm is me sitting in the front seat with a 12 guage shot gun, bring it blake, hahahah

wo0t

poplife319Dec-01-01 01:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
30 posts,
#832, "RE: how hard is it to instal an alarm?"
In response to Reply # 7

>you get what you pay for though...
>
>an alarm is ALL in the installation. most of the alarms you
>guys have, I could completely disable in under 20 seconds.
>you want a real security system....you have to pay for it,
>and the install is much more complex.

That is totally true. I have worked with installers that leave a huge bird's nest of wires in the dash when they are done installing an alarm. But, it's really hard to find a good alarm installer.

If you really care about your car and want to find a good installer, here's a tip: Go around to some shops and talk to the installers and ask them questions to see how knowledgable they seem to be. Generally, installers that know what they are talking about take pride in their work and will do a good job. I have found most of the installers at big retail chains like Best Buy or Circuit City are the least competent when it comes to installing anything. Try to find a small store with a good reputation in your area.

pop

koolade9Dec-01-01 08:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
#833, "RE: how hard is it to instal an alarm?"
In response to Reply # 9

woooooooah.... come to my circuit city and say that. one co-worker is sponsored by ID, and picked up 1st at sbn and 8th at finals. the other is about to be sponsored by mtx...

talk to the installers to see what they know. yes there are alot of CC installers who don't know dick, but there are also a great # of them who are very good, but have families, and went there for the money.

don't stereotype here...

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #823 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic