Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #8155
View in linear mode

Subject: " custom fiberglass sub inclosure" Previous topic | Next topic
SeclipseFeb-15-04 04:04 AM
Member since Nov 28th 2003
36 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8155, " custom fiberglass sub inclosure"

i found the directions to do a do a fiberglass inclosure myself but i want to kno if anyone here has done one before because i oriced a company to make it for me and they want 3-4x's the amont of doing it myself. i have the time and money to build it myself and if it works out ill have some experience with fiberglass but i wanna kno if its worth building it if i can have it made for me,also will thesound differ from MDF or will it be basicly the same with a better look then a square

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure, willmayo, Feb-15-04 05:23 AM, #1
RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure, RudoraEclipse, Feb-15-04 05:53 AM, #2
      RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure, CrazyEclipse, Feb-15-04 02:36 PM, #3
           RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure, Shockeclipse, Feb-15-04 05:17 PM, #4
RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure, Seclipse, Feb-18-04 03:29 AM, #5
RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure, willmayo, Feb-18-04 03:22 PM, #6
      RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure, Pitchblack98, Feb-25-04 04:06 PM, #7
           RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure, WickedESi, Feb-25-04 04:25 PM, #8
                RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure, Shockeclipse, Feb-25-04 05:09 PM, #9
                     RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure, Seclipse, Feb-25-04 06:59 PM, #10
                          RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure, Super20G, Feb-27-04 07:58 AM, #11

willmayoFeb-15-04 05:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8156, "RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure"
In response to Reply # 0

Good questions, those are some things that I dont really think have been clearly addressed anywhere. anyone got any answers? I keep telling myself that i'm going to do a fiberglass enclosure but I never really try.

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
S16G @ ~15psi - FMIC - Forged Internals
Clinton Township, MI

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RudoraEclipseFeb-15-04 05:53 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2003
19 posts,
#8157, "RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure"
In response to Reply # 1

I am having my trunk sized right now to be glassed. It should be done within the next 2 weeks so I will try and get some pics up of it when it is done.

CrazyEclipseFeb-15-04 02:36 PM
Member since Jul 30th 2002
2503 posts,
#8161, "RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure"
In response to Reply # 2

Basic enclosure:
Dynamat like crazy!
Measure air space vs. MDF displacement
Cut MDF to spec, including sub rings
Glass the shapes
Sand, Fill, Sand, Fill, Sand, Fill, Sand, Sand, Sand, you get the idea
Paint
Drool

Undergoing MAJOR modifications, inside and out: Sneek peek at phase 1 shown
member# 2498 / girl member# unknown

ShockeclipseFeb-15-04 05:17 PM
Member since May 18th 2003
2139 posts,
#8162, "RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure"
In response to Reply # 3

see sig...fiberglass and mdf..amp rack all mdf....used plexiglass underpainted the color of my car for the inner sub area

"We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or great depression. Our great war is a spiritual war; our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very , very pissed off"

Originally posted by turbo8u
every time i get in it and start it up im like 'oh...yea, you know why you just started right there bitch? because i built you...yea...you like it dont you, yea and you're about to take this boost like a bitch too arent you

SeclipseFeb-18-04 03:29 AM
36 posts,
#8181, "RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure"
In response to Reply # 0

thanks for the help ive decided to build it myseld and see how it comes out worst case senerio i find out i cant build anything usinf fiberglass and have it built for me when i get started ill start to take pics of what it looks like and when its done ill post'em thanks again

willmayoFeb-18-04 03:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#8184, "RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure"
In response to Reply # 5

good luck man, fiberglass is a bitch to work with but if you take your time i think you'll be happy with your results, just try not to get discouraged

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
S16G @ ~15psi - FMIC - Forged Internals
Clinton Township, MI

Pitchblack98Feb-25-04 04:06 PM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#8229, "RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure"
In response to Reply # 6

off topic: where is a good place to get fiberglass in bulk. i was gonna just get it from autozone or something like that but they only sell small packages of it and it prolly a waste of money in the long run. I want to get enough to experiment with until i get the hand of it then have enough to build what i want to.

Thanks

WickedESiFeb-25-04 04:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#8230, "RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure"
In response to Reply # 7
Feb-25-04 04:32 PM by WickedESi

I say you go to Home Depot to get it, or if you really want it in bulk talk to an installer at a local audio shop that does custom boxes and have him order it though the store.

I haven't finished mine yet (I'm going to mold it up and around the edges of the car), so I just threw some carpet down until I have some time to do it. But here's the inside of my car:

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

ShockeclipseFeb-25-04 05:09 PM
Member since May 18th 2003
2139 posts,
#8231, "RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure"
In response to Reply # 8

I got mine from a marine store...like boating place.

"We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or great depression. Our great war is a spiritual war; our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very , very pissed off"

Originally posted by turbo8u
every time i get in it and start it up im like 'oh...yea, you know why you just started right there bitch? because i built you...yea...you like it dont you, yea and you're about to take this boost like a bitch too arent you

SeclipseFeb-25-04 06:59 PM
36 posts,
#8236, "RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure"
In response to Reply # 9

ok pitchblack i found a number of places online that will sell the mat and resin in whatever amount you want you just have to tell them what you want. i kno a few people that are gonna hepl me out to figure out how much im goin to need cause im going to have alot of it showing, 2nd ive been seeing alot of the subs placed into the floor like on shockeclipse's and wickedesi's, my plan is going to be abit different. i plan on having an angled box made of mdf and encasing it in the glass and having the glass have sort or a wavy shape like a flag in the wind and as i think about the desighn more i think i might try and hide a nos tank in the space inbetween the mdf and the back seat or ontop of the box laying down but it would be harder to get to either way it will be hidden from nosie people in nyc but im just in the begining stages of my cars makeover so it will take some time and alot of help from the people on this site so far you all have been helpful and i hope you can all help me make my car as good as the many ive seen on the pages here SORRY ITS SO LONG but its the first time ive decided to fully describe the plans for the box

Super20GFeb-27-04 07:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8252, "RE: custom fiberglass sub inclosure"
In response to Reply # 10
Feb-27-04 08:00 AM by Super20G

Fiberglass work is very tedious. Not only that, but it is hard to master... I say good luck with your project, just don't be too upset if your not winning any comps w/ it the first time around

Edit: If I was you I would order waaaay too much and practice on a few smaller "tests" until you go on to your final attempt.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #8155 Previous topic | Next topic