Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #805
View in linear mode

Subject: "Do I need a capicator?" Previous topic | Next topic
Twobuf4uNov-24-01 01:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
285 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#805, "Do I need a capicator?"

Im not looking for window shattering bass.....my friend is givin me a good deal on some pioneer 12's and a 300watt amp. I was wondering if i need a capicator?

Black Sapphire '96 RS w/ Blitz Kit
AEM CAI,AFX UDP,Apexi N1 Exhaust,NGK BKR-5e11 Plugs,Magnecore Wires,Primax 496 17's w/ Falken Azenis Tires,Blue Interior Lights,Greddy Shifter Knob-Boot-Pedals, TYC Black Taillights

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Do I need a capicator?, koolade9, Nov-24-01 03:21 PM, #1
RE: Do I need a capicator?, Fast420A, Nov-24-01 04:00 PM, #2
      RE: Do I need a capicator?, Twobuf4u, Nov-25-01 08:02 AM, #3
      RE: Do I need a capicator?, CVedEclipse, Nov-25-01 03:02 PM, #4
      RE: Do I need a capicator?, iamnotwhoiam, Nov-25-01 04:42 PM, #5
      RE: Do I need a capicator?, koolade9, Nov-26-01 06:56 PM, #6
           RE: Do I need a capicator?, Fast420A, Nov-27-01 07:04 PM, #7
                RE: Do I need a capicator?, evan2, Nov-28-01 04:36 AM, #8
                     RE: Do I need a capicator?, koolade9, Nov-28-01 05:24 AM, #9
                          RE: Do I need a capicator?, CVedEclipse, Nov-28-01 10:16 AM, #10
      RE: Do I need a capicator?, jasonhko, Mar-26-02 11:01 AM, #11
RE: Do I need a capicator?, TeamXtremeRS, Mar-26-02 11:27 AM, #12
RE: Do I need a capicator?, dudasd, Mar-26-02 03:31 PM, #13

koolade9Nov-24-01 03:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#806, "RE: Do I need a capicator?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd say no. but what kind of amp? there are "300watt" amps out there that do quite a bit more than that:D

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Fast420ANov-24-01 04:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#807, "RE: Do I need a capicator?"
In response to Reply # 1

I have always wondered If I needed one also. I have 2 alpine amps. The subs run on the V-12 MRV-T707, my indiglo gauges and radio face dim with the bass. I think I would need one but I don't know, what do you audio guru's think?

Missing Car. . .
Contemplating Turbo. . . . .

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Nameless Cold Air Intake with a K&N Filter
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

Twobuf4uNov-25-01 08:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
285 posts,
#808, "RE: Do I need a capicator?"
In response to Reply # 2

O-h well.....found out why my friend was given me such a good deal....one of the cones in one of them is screwed up. But i just ordered 2 Kenwood 12's. 600 watt max....and RMS 160. Anybody no a cheap amp i can get that will power them good?

Black Sapphire '96 RS w/ Blitz Kit
AEM CAI,AFX UDP,Apexi N1 Exhaust,NGK BKR-5e11 Plugs,Magnecore Wires,Primax 496 17's w/ Falken Azenis Tires,Blue Interior Lights,Greddy Shifter Knob-Boot-Pedals, TYC Black Taillights

CVedEclipseNov-25-01 03:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#809, "RE: Do I need a capicator?"
In response to Reply # 3

hmm.. ive run all kinds of amps for my subs.. with no caps on any of them. im sure that some needed some, but i was cheap and was saving for other things. id say, it depends on the amps, some draw a lot of current from the battery, and a cap is necessary. otherwise, unless you are pushing a true 500watts or more.. i would say you wouldnt need one. 1 farad for evey 1000watts. that seems to be the way to go.

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

iamnotwhoiamNov-25-01 04:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#810, "RE: Do I need a capicator?"
In response to Reply # 2

well if anything dims while the system plays it would be a good idea to get a cap... i think it really plays into affect when you have lots of power going to the amp that is pushing your subs...

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

koolade9Nov-26-01 06:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#811, "RE: Do I need a capicator?"
In response to Reply # 5

fast420A, pick up a 1 farad cap,
twobuf4u, pick up the kenwood amp from CC that says 600watts, on it(sorry, don't konw the model # off the top of my head) you'll like it, it's only like 189 I think, and you shouldn't need a cap.

Fast420ANov-27-01 07:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#812, "RE: Do I need a capicator?"
In response to Reply # 6

>fast420A, pick up a 1 farad cap,

Thanks!

Missing Car. . .
Contemplating Turbo. . . . .

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Nameless Cold Air Intake with a K&N Filter
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

evan2Nov-28-01 04:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3903 posts,
#813, "RE: Do I need a capicator?"
In response to Reply # 7

im no audio pro.. but ive been told caps suck.. just get a dry cell.. for the same price u would spend on that.. a cap just gives the extra power when u need it.. the cry cell will always be there giving it power and not taking away from your lights or what not.

I love dino and 2gnt. ####ers (my word) bliz stole it but i let him borrow it

koolade9Nov-28-01 05:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
#814, "RE: Do I need a capicator?"
In response to Reply # 8

yes caps do help. another battery is always better, but there's alot more in adding a second battery than just the cost of the battery. and if you ever compete, they'll always kick you up a few classes, and you have to vent it. more hassle than I'd like to deal with. a yellow top and (3) .5farad caps take care of my amp nicely.

CVedEclipseNov-28-01 10:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#815, "RE: Do I need a capicator?"
In response to Reply # 9

caps dont suck, they do what they are designed to do. and yup, i would love to have another battery for my car, but there is just too much work (im lazy) to get another one going in my car. if you really need the extra power, try koolades route. hes got himself a nice setup going.

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

jasonhkoMar-26-02 11:01 AM
Member since Mar 19th 2002
229 posts,
#816, "RE: Do I need a capicator?"
In response to Reply # 2

well.. your lights dimming might not mean you need a cap. What size wires you using?? From the batt to the amps. If its not big enough, having a cap wont help either. I remembered that on my old setup, I was using 8 gauge wires for running 2 amps. my lights dimmed like hell. But now that I changed over to 1 gauge wires.. its just fine. I also added in 2 caps just for looks really. Cuase im not about to run the risk of shattering my rear hatch.. Dont think thats really pussible.. but Im always scared of that.

TeamXtremeRSMar-26-02 11:27 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#817, "RE: Do I need a capicator?"
In response to Reply # 0

Let me try and expain power caps a little bit here. Basically, they are just a small battery, capable of holding a charge of electricity. But, this charge can be sent out, or discharged, very quickly. Quicker than the alternator, and quicker than the battery. Lights usually dim because of a voltage sag or drop when heavy bass hits. The amp is drawing its max power, or close to it, and draws alot of current, and the voltage drops because of this, causing the lights to dim. My first step of advise if you have the dimming problem, is to have a good, true deep cycle battery, like the optima yellow/red top. These batteries can discharge a lot of energy very quickly, and much faster than a traditional car battery. Use one of these deep cycle batts, and be sure to use the proper guage power wire. For a 300 watt amp, 10 guage will sufice, but 8 guage will be better. Larger wire has less resistance, and lets more amperage through with less voltage drop and less heat, and less resistance. Now a power capacitor will be a way of "stiffining" the voltage in the car. When the big bass hits, the cap imiadiatley discharges, but the voltage remains somewhat more constant, with less voltage drop, because the cap is a place of electrical storage, that discharges at lightening speeds, much faster than even a deep cycle battery can discharge. This extremely fast discharge is what keeps the voltage from sagging, or dropping. The rule of thumb for needing caps, is 1 farad for every 1000 watts of amp power. Caps aren't a waste of money, but they DO NOT add more bass, or more loudness by using one. Also, by adding a second battery, you will increase the demand on your alternator by 2 times now, so your voltage will sag even more unless you have a high output alternator capable of charging 2 batteries at high output. By adding a second battery, the only benefit of that is to extend the carr off play time. If you have the alternator power to charge additional batteries, then haveing a second battery or more can be very benifical because now you have more electrial storage ready to be used. With a 300 watt amp, i'd say you don't need a cap. If you experience dimming lights, try a optima yellow top battery, and use at least 8 guage power wire. I'd bet that will take care of your problems. By the way, I'm pushing over 2000 watts to my 15" eclipse sub, and my lights dim very little, with no caps. I'm using an optima yellow top, and 4 guage power and ground..I hope this helps..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

dudasdMar-26-02 03:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
735 posts,
#818, "RE: Do I need a capicator?"
In response to Reply # 12

Doesn't matter how much power your pulling, a cap will always help out especially for your subs. It will actually make them sound a lot better because you will have mower power getting to them each time they hit. Basically all a cap does is provide power in a hurry and recharge just as fast. I recommend one to anyone with an aftermarket sustem......just my $0.02 though....

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #805 Previous topic | Next topic