Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #8041
View in linear mode

Subject: "Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.." Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseTenzoRJan-27-04 02:57 AM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8041, "Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.."

I want to put a system in my car as soon as I get my tax return, and this is what i was planning on doing as far as components. I want 2 10" Alpine Type R's in a sealed box, and an Alpine 1000W Mono Amp.

Alpine Subwoofer Specs

-Kevlar®-infused pulp cone
-1" Santoprene rubber surround
-dual 2-ohm voice coils
-frequency response 28-1,000 Hz
-power range 100-300 watts RMS (150 watts per coil)
-peak power handling 1,000 watts
-sensitivity 85 dB

(There are 2 versions of the sub there is the 4ohm and the 2ohm, I always thought the lower ohm was better, but they seem to be the same price. What should I do?)

Alpine MRD-M500 Amp Specs

-250 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
-500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
-MOSFET power supply and output stage
-STAR Topology for cleaner sound
-Bass Engine® features:
-low-pass digital crossover, 30-200 Hz, 24 dB/octave
-variable subsonic filter (15-50 Hz in 5 Hz steps)
-parametric EQ variable from 30-160 Hz, ±12 dB
-Bass Compensator enhances low-end definition
-top-mounted digital control center with cover
-time correction 0-10 milliseconds in 0.1ms steps
-phase adjustment 0-180°

If this is not a good amp to go with the subs can someone suggest a good amp made by alpine to go with the subs. I want to make the whole system Alpine.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.., a_miller_76, Jan-27-04 03:17 AM, #1
RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.., EclipseTenzoR, Jan-27-04 08:51 AM, #2
      RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.., EclipseTenzoR, Jan-27-04 01:40 PM, #3
           RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.., a_miller_76, Jan-28-04 05:55 AM, #4
                RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.., EclipseTenzoR, Jan-28-04 06:19 AM, #5
                     RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.., a_miller_76, Jan-28-04 07:19 AM, #6
                          RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.., a_miller_76, Jan-28-04 07:30 AM, #7
                               RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.., a_miller_76, Jan-28-04 07:32 AM, #8
                                    RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.., EclipseTenzoR, Jan-28-04 01:32 PM, #9
                                         RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.., foggy45, Jan-28-04 04:37 PM, #10
                                         RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.., a_miller_76, Jan-28-04 05:07 PM, #11
                                              RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.., LeakyMitsu, Jan-29-04 04:50 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.., TwinDragons, Feb-17-04 02:31 PM, #13

a_miller_76Jan-27-04 03:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8042, "RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.."
In response to Reply # 0

The ohm rating per voice coil doesn't mean the sub is better or worse, it just changes your versatility. If you get the MRDM1000 amp it will put out (whatever wattage) by 4ohm per channel to the subs. So if you have a dual 2ohm voicecoil sub then you wire the voicecoils of one sub in series and you get 4 ohms which matches your resistance output on the amp.

A lot of guys get the MRDM500 amp and get dual 4ohm voice coils and wire them in parallel to the amp (one voice coil per side) and use one amp with one sub.

This is what I'll be doing sometime this summer

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EclipseTenzoRJan-27-04 08:51 AM
2386 posts,
#8043, "RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.."
In response to Reply # 1

Which Ohm is better. And will that one amp be good enough to power both subs.

EclipseTenzoRJan-27-04 01:40 PM
2386 posts,
#8047, "RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.."
In response to Reply # 2

Would the Alpine MRV-T420 be a good amp? I dont have alot of money because I am only 17.. All I expect of these subs is to be considerably loud but clear.

a_miller_76Jan-28-04 05:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#8048, "RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.."
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR
Would the Alpine MRV-T420 be a good amp? I dont have alot of money because I am only 17.. All I expect of these subs is to be considerably loud but clear.

considerably loud but clear....very contradictory terms. Type R's will do it, but don't expect them to be the best thing in the world.

If I were you I'd get dual 2ohm subs, run them in series, and get a MRDM 500 amp to run them. Or the MRDM1000 or whatever it is. The MRV T420 is not a sub amp.

EclipseTenzoRJan-28-04 06:19 AM
2386 posts,
#8050, "RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.."
In response to Reply # 4

I can only afford 1 of those amps. So how would I wire the subs into it? Can you show a diagram? Also.. On Crutchfield it says that you can run subs off of it. I don't want some high tech state of the art system that costs thousands of dollars. I just want something in my car that will look good and give me some good bump but not sound like my cars gonna fall apart.

a_miller_76Jan-28-04 07:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#8054, "RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.."
In response to Reply # 5

I can only afford 1 of those amps. So how would I wire the subs into it? Can you show a diagram? Also.. On Crutchfield it says that you can run subs off of it. I don't want some high tech state of the art system that costs thousands of dollars. I just want something in my car that will look good and give me some good bump but not sound like my cars gonna fall apart.

Your car falling apart is a whole other ball park. That's solved with dynamat, polystyrene (i stuck at spelling) foam, and things like that.

I'll draw you a MSPaint diagram and post it here in a minute.

a_miller_76Jan-28-04 07:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#8055, "RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.."
In response to Reply # 6

a_miller_76Jan-28-04 07:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#8056, "RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.."
In response to Reply # 7

Shit, sorry, that negative return on sub 1 is supposed to go back to the negative terminal, not the positive LOL

That diagram is for dual 2 ohm voicecoil subs btw

EclipseTenzoRJan-28-04 01:32 PM
2386 posts,
#8065, "RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.."
In response to Reply # 8

I thought the MRD-M500 only had one channel. I am led to believe by your illustration that there is 2 channels. Please take a look at the output on the amp.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JXLtFRsEI0W/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&g=130&id=morephotos&pi=6&i=500MRDM500&display=XL#morephotos

I am still thinking that I may just go with the MRV-T420. Would this still bump nicely? I dont care if I wont have earth shattering bass.
Let me know if this amp would power the 2 10" type r's nicely.. Would I want to get 2ohm or 4ohm.. Which would be better for that setup?

Thanks In Advance

foggy45Jan-28-04 04:37 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#8066, "RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.."
In response to Reply # 9
Jan-28-04 04:42 PM by foggy45

first off go with the 2ohn dual voice coil R's
amps are touchy
i run 2 alpine 10" R's, powered by a MRV-T757 (hope to get a second one soon)

the 757 is 225 x 2 @ 4ohms or 750watts x 1 @ 2ohms and you can find it on e-bay for >$175
one step up is the MRV-1005 500 x 2 @ 2ohms or 1000w x 1 @ 2ohms. e-bay for $200
i listen to a lot of different music, from trance-techno to classical. this set up (when tuned right) will make your ears bleed nicly for a few hours after you exit the car. granted, you will not win any spl comps with this. (maybe amature <1000w)

if ya need the warenty then go through crutchfield and that amp will do ok. however, keep in mind that that the MRD-M500 is a SINGLE channel amp. you can always run a 2-channel amp mono, but it isnt a good idea to run a mono amp on two subs. (check the ohms of the subs in parellel and series and see if any of those match the load for the amp. remember you have 2 voice coils) most amps in your price range arent stable below 2ohms.

good luck and enjoy the kick ass ALPINE gear

a_miller_76Jan-28-04 05:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#8067, "RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.."
In response to Reply # 9

I thought the MRD-M500 only had one channel. I am led to believe by your illustration that there is 2 channels. Please take a look at the output on the amp. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JXLtFRsEI0W/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&g=130&id=morephotos&pi=6&i=500MRDM500&display=XL#morephotos I am still thinking that I may just go with the MRV-T420. Would this still bump nicely? I dont care if I wont have earth shattering bass. Let me know if this amp would power the 2 10" type r's nicely.. Would I want to get 2ohm or 4ohm.. Which would be better for that setup? Thanks In Advance

You're right, i forgot about that. Some of the mono block amps are split 2 ohm inside so they have "2 channels". The MRD M500 is 2ohm stable, so just forget that second channel in my drawing and connect it the same way to the one output.

LeakyMitsuJan-29-04 04:50 PM
Member since Nov 15th 2002
311 posts,
#8069, "RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.."
In response to Reply # 11

im running two alpine type r 12s(2+2) and i consider them to be very clear, and very loud. but it all depends on what youre used to. if all of your friends have competition systems, maybe it wont sound that great. i fried my rockford 1000x1 with the type r's and bought a 1000 watt mono class d sony amp (because of lack of money!) and i still think it sounds great. like i said, i think its clear and its pretty loud, 146db. i know youre wanting a different amp and 10's but i just thought i would throw in my .02

TwinDragonsFeb-17-04 02:31 PM
Member since Jun 20th 2003
50 posts,
#8177, "RE: Would This Be A Good Audio Setup.."
In response to Reply # 12

i'd go with the new subs alpine has out Type-X's they're supposed to be NICE !! they'll prob be a little pricey and i dont know what you can or cant afford. but i'd at least look into it.

Keep em Lookin Good And Driving Fast!

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #8041 Previous topic | Next topic