Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #6402
View in linear mode

Subject: "(56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure" Previous topic | Next topic
Cereal5Jun-19-03 11:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1016 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6402, "(56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure"

These are pics of me about half way done... I've just started doing the baffle (sp?)

Props to Audiophyl... I got most of my info from his car domain site.

Things I would suggest for people doing this for the first time: (me being one of them)

1. Do NOT mix a whole quart of resin and hardener at once. You will not use it all before you have a useless pile of brown jelly LoL.

2. Keep a can of Laquer Thinner around to drop your brush in everytime you arent using it... or you gonna have one HARD ASS brush.

3. Fiberglass itches like no other!

4. Buy yourself a box of latex gloves... you'll thank me later.

5. Pre-cut a BUNCH of sections of matte or cloth... it will make your life easier.

6. Guess how much you are going to need (resin, cloth or matte) and then triple it, because that's probably how much you'll really need.

7. Best thing to cut out the spare tire rack? A saw-zaw (sp?)!!! and then maybe a grinder.

Any ways, here's the pictures.

Anymore advice any of you "guru's" have, let's hear it!

amiller99rs: seriously, chicks suck sometimes
amiller99rs: like if a girl walked by and said "Hey, nice cock" and just kept going you'd smile all day about that

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure, My9t5Talon, Jun-19-03 02:08 PM, #1
RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure, Cereal5, Jun-20-03 03:31 AM, #2
      RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure, audiophyl, Jun-20-03 04:44 PM, #3
           RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure, SPL_Eclipse, Jun-21-03 06:41 PM, #4
           RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure, Cereal5, Jun-23-03 09:41 AM, #5
                RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure, SPL_Eclipse, Jun-23-03 06:58 PM, #6
           RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure, Teameclipse804, Jun-25-03 03:54 AM, #7
                RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure, SPL_Eclipse, Jun-25-03 03:05 PM, #8
                     RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure, PowerEclipses, Jun-25-03 03:37 PM, #9
                          RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure, chrysler kid, Jun-25-03 06:46 PM, #10

My9t5TalonJun-19-03 02:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
963 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6404, "RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure"
In response to Reply # 0

is that foil...or a Dynamat-like product that you used for the bottom???

William 'Tha.Will' McGroarty

~*Roary*~
Sick Skillz

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Cereal5Jun-20-03 03:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1016 posts,
#6406, "RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure"
In response to Reply # 1

Dynomat type stuff... the tsunami stuff from Circuit City

amiller99rs: like if a girl walked by and said "Hey, nice cock" and just kept going you'd smile all day about that

audiophylJun-20-03 04:44 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
152 posts,
#6409, "RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for the props!!!

I'm in the process of designing a front splitter for my car. Once I'm done with the actual design, it will be completed in carbon fiber.

I'm not sure I want to post my secrets on the carbon fiber, but I just might!

Once I have some pics of the final product, I'll post them and then I'll probably be willing to make some for some other people.

Good luck and remember to weat a respirator when you begin to sand the fiberglass. You do not want to breath the dust!!!

J. Mykel Hill
SLAP Mid-West Event Coordinator

jmykel@slapshow.com

Certified IASCA Judge
Certified SLAP Judge

http://members.cardomain.com/audiophyl

2002 Sound, Looks, & Performance National Champion--Advanced Mitsubishi

SPL_EclipseJun-21-03 06:41 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#6420, "RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure"
In response to Reply # 3

HAHHAHAH!!!! i like tips #1 and #6....sooooo true.

my only other advice is to do whatever possible to avoid air bubbles. it looks as if you used quite large pieces of fiberglass to do the first layer. for the next layers use smaller strips of mat, about 2" by 6". they will be easier to press into contours and corners. bubbles=weakness, and thats a bad thing.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Cereal5Jun-23-03 09:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1016 posts,
#6431, "RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah, I started using smaller pieces after the 1st layer. I must say that the 1st layer isn't really providing a lot of structural support, more like a general shape to mold the rest of it to. I used cloth for the first. After that, it's like 6 layers of matte, using smaller (6 sq inch ish) pieces that are fitted much better, eliminating as much gap and air bubbles as possible. There are a few, I will admit, because of some stupid ass curves, but very few and very small. Hopefully this thing won't blow apart LoL. Should be ok, just a single 12, and it gets a lot of support from the spare tire well. Oh well, we shall see

SPL_EclipseJun-23-03 06:58 PM
5921 posts,
#6432, "RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure"
In response to Reply # 5

^^^ good job, you did it exactly like i would have. the first layer just provides a general shape. dont worry about a few bubbles, they wont make a HUGE difference. congrats...welcome to the wonderful world of fiberglass!!!!

Teameclipse804Jun-25-03 03:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#6443, "RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure"
In response to Reply # 3

>Good luck and remember to weat a respirator when you begin to
>sand the fiberglass. You do not want to breath the dust!!!

How bad is it to breathe fiberglass dust particles? I've breathed in plenty of it from working on my car at the body shop.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

SPL_EclipseJun-25-03 03:05 PM
5921 posts,
#6450, "RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure"
In response to Reply # 7

^^^i dont think its terrible unless youre doing it on a regular basis. i know ive inhaled a a ton of it over the years.

PowerEclipsesJun-25-03 03:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#6451, "RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure"
In response to Reply # 8

>^^^i dont think its terrible unless youre doing it on a
>regular basis. i know ive inhaled a a ton of it over the
>years.
mmmm me too

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

chrysler kidJun-25-03 06:46 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#6452, "RE: (56k warning) Check it out! Start of Custom Fiberglass Sub enclosure"
In response to Reply # 9

just dont get any in your eyes. HURTS LIKE A BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 tiny glass scratching your eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11.65 @ 115

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #6402 Previous topic | Next topic