Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #5679
View in linear mode

Subject: "Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?" Previous topic | Next topic
Teameclipse804Mar-26-03 04:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5679, "Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"

Hey all, does anyone know of a good alarm that has both a LCD pager function to page you when it goes off, as well as a turbo timer feature that automatically turns off the car after a certain amount of time. I want both in one alarm.

I've found the Clifford Concept series has the turbo timer feature, but no pager. A lot of pager alarms like Hortnet 554T and Delta don't seem to have a built in turbo timer. I'm looking for both in one for the 04 WRX I plan to get. It's really frustrating me - the main reason I don't want a turbo timer separate from the alarm itself is because I've heard that Subaru plans to void warranties for small add-ons including turbo timers. I'd rather not risk trying to dispute that. Thanks...

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?, Moderatorsd_eclipse, Mar-26-03 05:50 AM, #1
RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?, 9D9 MITSU RS, Mar-26-03 02:59 PM, #2
      RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?, fasterGS, Mar-26-03 11:09 PM, #3
           RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?, Teameclipse804, Mar-27-03 02:42 AM, #4
                RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?, MCubed45, Mar-27-03 12:51 PM, #5
                RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?, 9D9 MITSU RS, Mar-27-03 01:56 PM, #6
                     RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?, fasterGS, Mar-27-03 01:59 PM, #7
                          RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?, TeamXtremeRS, Mar-27-03 02:43 PM, #8
                               RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?, MCubed45, Mar-27-03 04:42 PM, #9
                RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?, jasonhko, Apr-24-03 06:54 PM, #14
RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?, TeamXtremeRS, Mar-27-03 06:22 PM, #10
RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?, MCubed45, Mar-28-03 09:42 AM, #11
      RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?, Remy, Mar-31-03 10:35 AM, #12
           RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?, invaznGST, Apr-02-03 05:06 AM, #13

Moderatorsd_eclipseMar-26-03 05:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5680, "RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-26-03 05:53 AM by sd_eclipse

Marcus, Im not totally sure but I do believe the Viper 790XV does this. Its one of DEIs newer responder series so it includes the pager as well as a timer mode I believe.

Here's a link
http://directed.com/security/viper/viper_responder.asp

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

9D9 MITSU RSMar-26-03 02:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#5687, "RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"
In response to Reply # 1

not seeing a turbo timer mode in my 790xv book. It has a delay where it waits like 30 secs to arm after you shut it off and exit the car/close all entry points. You can just arm it and remote start it and let it idle for the time that you set into it for run time on a remote start.

fasterGSMar-26-03 11:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5695, "RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"
In response to Reply # 2

There is an alarm out there... aladdin something. I forget the number, but I remember it having a turbo timer as well as the lcd pager. A local guy has this alarm, says it works well.

Teameclipse804Mar-27-03 02:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#5696, "RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"
In response to Reply # 3
Mar-27-03 02:43 AM by eclipse804

Yeah the aladdin 2000 has a turbo timer feature in the international version of the alarm that you can buy from certain retailers in the US. It costs more though than the normal US version. However, I don't fully trust aladdin because I've heard of people with problems, and it does not seem like a major brand.

I found the Compustar system that does have built in turbo timer and LCD pager with up to 1.25 mile reception. They were the first to make LCD pager alarms from what I've read. Their remote start system is also designed for manual transmission cars too. What do you guys think of it - http://www.compustar.org

It seems like it will cost around 650 installed, which is a LOT. I can also get the clifford concept 200 installed for 399, but it's an extra 150 to add on a pager (but not an LCD pager). I'm debating whether having a pager is worth it. My main concern is I may not be able to hear my car alarm from my future apartment.

BTW, I called several shops and they all said the viper 790xv does not have a turbo timer feature. I don't think it's good to turn off the car and then remote start it again, since the whole point is to let the turbo cool down gradually rather than let the oil completely stop circulating all of a sudden by turning it off.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

MCubed45Mar-27-03 12:51 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#5702, "RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"
In response to Reply # 4

a little off topic, but how difficult is it to integrate a turbo timer into an existing alarm? what are the key obstacles? i'd assume the shock sensor may be tripped by the running engine... umm does the starter kill interfere with keeping the engine running? if i ever go turbo, i'd rather just integrate a timer into my existing system. i like my viper. gonna upgrade to a viper800 later so i can do more stuff by remote too. i dunno i know a lot of people have problems with integrating TT and alarm but i would think it woudln't be that difficult. just use a couple relays to delay the schock sensor and starter kill until the TT turns off the engine? anything else that's gonna be a problem? b/c you pretty much want the car to lock and have all the sensors activated except the ones that a running engine would trip, right?

-marc

='95 RS 5spd Red=
CAI
A'pexi N1
Hanabi 8000k HID
SPAL Deluxe Power Windows
Nakayama GT5 17's
GSX Calipers
AEM Rotors

255 is fricken short

9D9 MITSU RSMar-27-03 01:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#5703, "RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"
In response to Reply # 5

>a little off topic, but how difficult is it to integrate a
>turbo timer into an existing alarm? what are the key
>obstacles? i'd assume the shock sensor may be tripped by the
>running engine... umm does the starter kill interfere with
>keeping the engine running? if i ever go turbo, i'd rather
>just integrate a timer into my existing system. i like my
>viper. gonna upgrade to a viper800 later so i can do more
>stuff by remote too. i dunno i know a lot of people have
>problems with integrating TT and alarm but i would think it
>woudln't be that difficult. just use a couple relays to delay
>the schock sensor and starter kill until the TT turns off the
>engine? anything else that's gonna be a problem? b/c you
>pretty much want the car to lock and have all the sensors
>activated except the ones that a running engine would trip,
>right?
>
I have always wondered how TT's and alarms worked together. Anyone know?

fasterGSMar-27-03 01:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5704, "RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"
In response to Reply # 6

With some alarms there is a auto arm feature. LIke mine will arm 30 seconds after the car has been shut off, or 30 seconds after a door has been closed. So it would arm 30 seconds after the turbo timer has shut off the car I would imagine.

TeamXtremeRSMar-27-03 02:43 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#5705, "RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"
In response to Reply # 7

For those with DEI remote starters, you dont have to shut the car off then restart it. Just press the remote start buttons while your car is running with the key in the run postion, then wait 3-4 seconds. The RS will power up, and then you can turn off your key, and take it out. The car stays running. If you are close enough in range to your car, you can then just press the RS buttons again to shut the car off.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

MCubed45Mar-27-03 04:42 PM
2706 posts,
#5706, "RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"
In response to Reply # 8
Mar-27-03 04:49 PM by MCubed45

i'm pretty sure there should be pretty easy way to do this without using your RS or the delay. it'd prolly be safer to not use the delay b/c you'd be leaving your car sitting there with the motor running and pretty much defenseless... i'm pretty sure you can set it up so all you do is arm your car like normal and leave. depending on the kind've signal your sensors send, you can probably use the output from the TT to temporarily disable the output from certain alarm sensors. it's jsut a matter of determing what kind've signnal you need to send to the alarm brain. then when the TT turns off the engine the alarm sensors can be re-activated. does anyone know which alarm sensors specifically cause a problem with a TT?

that's kinda messed up if subaru's gonna deny warranty claims for using a TT... especially when the whole point of the TT is to take care of the engine better (as opposed to modifying and pushing the engine past its intended purposes). if you're sure about that then i can understand why you're trying to find an alarm like that, but otherwise i'd prolly wanna get a separate alarm an TT. then you can get a high quality alarm and TT as opposed to an all-in-one that does both somewhat ok...

jasonhkoApr-24-03 06:54 PM
Member since Mar 19th 2002
229 posts,
#5950, "RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"
In response to Reply # 4

honestly... The compuSTAR alarms are great.. but not all that they say.. I paid somewhere along the lines of $499.99 for mine way back in august of 99 when I bought my 99 GS. It says that it has a turbo function.. but I found that was for a second car with the same brand alarm. But,.. this alarm does have a good feature.. you can set it so that once you take the key out of the ignition, the car stays running.. kinda like a "pit stop" feature. If you wanna run to the mailbox or deli for a soda or something without turning the car on and off (killer on starters). I guess that could be the "turbo timer" in a sense, but since I dont have turbo in my car yet, I haven't tested that idea. But I do know that you can take out the keys and keep the car running though (great on hot summer days).
Def a good idea.. now with the new tech and the newer models out.. compSTAR seem to be a good investment.

TeamXtremeRSMar-27-03 06:22 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#5709, "RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"
In response to Reply # 0

Well if your TT has an output that is active with the TT on, then all you have to do is wire up a relay to interupt the ignition input the alarm system, AND the shock sensor's power or trigger wires. This way, when the TT is active, the alarm system will not see any ignition (since the relay will "break" the connection to the alarm), and the same with the shock sensor.This will let the alarm system arm when you push the button, and the motor running will not set off the shock sensor. Then, when the TT shuts down, the relays shut off and everything is back to normal. That will be the easiest way to do it, at least with all DEI alarms anyway.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

MCubed45Mar-28-03 09:42 AM
2706 posts,
#5712, "RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"
In response to Reply # 10

^^^ ya that's what i was thinking. it doesn't sound like something that's too difficult to wire up. DEI stuff's pretty easy to work with too. i like my viper

-marc

='95 RS 5spd Red=
Matrix CAI
A'pexi Turbo N1
Hanabi 8000k HID
SPAL Deluxe Power Windows
Nakayama GT5 17's
GSX Calipers
AEM Rotors

255 is fricken short

RemyMar-31-03 10:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#5761, "RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"
In response to Reply # 11

My mannix and my prestige have turbo timers and lcd pagers w/screen

95 gs-t
To much shit to list !!

Pic coming in a few weeks.

invaznGSTApr-02-03 05:06 AM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
3897 posts,
#5769, "RE: Alarm with BOTH Pager and Turbo Timer Feature?"
In response to Reply # 12

i remember seeing an alarm system awhile ago with built in timer feature and pager.. i know aladdin has this feature..my friend had an aladin alarm system. It had autostart/pager/timer and stuff. It was good. He bought the car and like 2 weeks later the alarm died. The brain was dead or something. He called customer support and they didn't really help him. He just disassembled the whole thing. Of course the alarm was wired up by some mexican dude for like 70 bucks really fast and he used electrical tape and crap..so it wasn't a good job. My friend doesn't trust the aladin alarm. He's getting the viper790 once he gets some funds.

Mark

'95 Eclipse GST - gone
'00 Jetta GLS

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #5679 Previous topic | Next topic