Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #4744
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???" Previous topic | Next topic
fasterGSDec-06-02 02:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4744, "Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???"

I was reading the installation notes for my new deck (alpine 7894) and it says I have to run a fused power wire from the deck directly to the positive terminal on the battery. What would happen if I didn't? The reasoning behind it supposably is the deck draws more current, 17.2 volts as opposed to the usual 14.4 volts. If I just ran it off the normal power wire what could happen? Melted wires? Blown fuses?

Notes from crutchfield.com -

"V-Drive Hybrid Amplifier: A V-Drive MOSFET power unit is used to boost the incoming voltage from 14.4 volts (approx.) to 17.2 volts. The increased voltage allows the unit to deliver peak output of 60 watts x 4 channels. While providing high power output, this unit can draw a substantial amount of current, so the constant power wire must be connected directly to the positive terminal of the battery in your vehicle".

I plan on wiring it like it says to, I just want to hear your opinions as to if its really needed. Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???, a_miller_76, Dec-06-02 02:05 AM, #1
RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???, mkerley, Dec-06-02 03:37 AM, #2
RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???, 96eclipse2nr, Dec-06-02 03:45 AM, #3
      RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???, fasterGS, Dec-06-02 08:30 AM, #4
           RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???, icedout, Dec-06-02 08:42 AM, #5
                RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???, fasterGS, Dec-06-02 09:56 AM, #6
                     RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???, a_miller_76, Dec-06-02 11:27 AM, #7
RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???, TeamXtremeRS, Dec-06-02 03:04 PM, #8
RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???, fasterGS, Dec-06-02 03:28 PM, #9
      RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???, MCubed45, Dec-06-02 03:45 PM, #10
           RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???, TeamXtremeRS, Dec-07-02 06:36 AM, #11
                RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???, MCubed45, Dec-07-02 09:43 AM, #12

a_miller_76Dec-06-02 02:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4745, "RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???"
In response to Reply # 0

I never did it that way...but I probably should. I would run it that way just to be on the safe side.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mkerleyDec-06-02 03:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4746, "RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, your battery won't put out over 14.4V, and neither will any of your wiring to the deck. If you check the voltage at your stock deck power wiring, odds are, it will be the exact same as the battery. I think it'll be a waste of time and effort to run a wire directly to the battery. If it needs more than 14.4, sounds like your screwed unless you want to create a circuit to amplify the signal.

just my opinion though.

matt

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

96eclipse2nrDec-06-02 03:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3605 posts,
#4747, "RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???"
In response to Reply # 2

ok, think about when you disconnect your battery....your clock on your radio resets, all your presets are erased, settings are erased. why? because you disconnected the battery, the power source. the constant from the battery runs power to the radio so that your info is saved. if you didnt run a constant i dunno if it would even work (since its designed that way) plus youd have to re-input all your settings each time you got in your car because it wouldent save. there is already a constant wire there attatched to your stock head unit, why not just attatch the wire and save trouble??

p.s. but you still need to connect the ACC wire, its both, not one or the other.

-----------------------------------------
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-NX 75 shot, AEM CAI, P&P t/b and intake mani-SOLD

1964 Buick Electra 225-all original, all power options, 325hp, 445ft/lbs tq

fasterGSDec-06-02 08:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4748, "RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???"
In response to Reply # 3

LOL^^^^... I wasn't asking if I needed to hook up it up to constant power, I was asking if it was necessary to hook it directly to the battery.

Thanks for the responses fellas, Im just going to hook it up the normal way for now, maybe at some later time I will run it directly to the battery.

icedoutDec-06-02 08:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3139 posts,
#4749, "RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???"
In response to Reply # 4

yes your radio should be fused.... but i think your confused though cause you were saying the radio pulls a lot of current and current is measured in amps not volts.......

2006 WW IX MR
2003 BBY EVO VIII (sold)
256.9WHP & 277.9torque
http://s90395832.onlinehome.us/forum//index.php?sid=a70942a7f65043e6c873e12dcd300692

1998 Eclipse RS --show car--

fasterGSDec-06-02 09:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
#4750, "RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???"
In response to Reply # 5

I don't fuckin know.... the second paragraph was taken directly from Crutchfield so apparantly they are comfused as well. All I was asking is should I wire the constant power directly to the battery. I understand how radios work, I understand how to hook them up. On the constant wire there is this little tag that says "Do not hook to wires under dash. Hook up directly to battery" So, if someone else has some input on the topic please feel free to post, otherwise I don't need any more lessons on car stereo installation

BTW Im not pissed, just being a smart ass

a_miller_76Dec-06-02 11:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#4751, "RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???"
In response to Reply # 6

Alpine internal amps are higher current than most internal cdplayer amps. Therefore you may not get the proper current flow through the gauge wire that is in your cars harness. So Alpine suggests you run their power wire directly to the battery so that it has the proper current flow capabilities. Do not use a wire smaller than the Alpine constant or you will be defeating the purpose.

TeamXtremeRSDec-06-02 03:04 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#4752, "RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???"
In response to Reply # 0

normally, you would hook that constant power wire at the stock radio harness. If the tag on the head unit's wire specifically says to hook it up to the battery, then by all means, do it. Each type of car has a different size of constant power wire at the stock radio wire harness. Some are rated for more current flow than others. Your new deck may draw over 10 amps, which means you must connect the constant power wire to the battery. The worst that can happen is you blow the stock radio fuse. This will most likely happen when you crank up the music pretty loud, and the bass is hitting. Now, if you run external amps to your front and rear speakers, then there is no need for the battery run.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

fasterGSDec-06-02 03:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
#4753, "RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???"
In response to Reply # 8

Thank you Matt... that was the exact type of answer I was looking for!

MCubed45Dec-06-02 03:45 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#4754, "RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???"
In response to Reply # 9

hey does anyone know if the acc. wire just serves as a relay then? i was just thinking about that and that'd prolly make the most sense. like all the power's always being drawn through the constant and when it gets a signal from the acc wire it just turn 'on' the deck. just wonderin if anyone knew since i don't think they make any specifications on what kinda current that acc. wire hasta support so i'm guessing it's just being used as a relay.

sorry if that's a little off post but it's kinda related too

'95 RS 5spd Red
Black Chrome Matrix Type X CAI
A'pexi N1 Catback Turbo Exhaust
Viper 500esp
Indiglo Gauges
Clear Bumper Lenses
Hiper White Bulbs
Hanabi 9000k HID Kit
Interior Blue LED/Neon Lighting w/ Music Interface
SPAL Deluxe Power Window Kit
Power Trunk Release Kit

-marc

TeamXtremeRSDec-07-02 06:36 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#4755, "RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???"
In response to Reply # 10

Yes. Most if not all aftermarket decks use the acc (power that turns on and off with the key), for turning on the deck, using an internal relay. All of the major current draw from the deck is using the constant power wire.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

MCubed45Dec-07-02 09:43 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#4756, "RE: Wire my new cd player directly to the battery???"
In response to Reply # 11

cool thanks! haha i dunno why i wanted to know that though. oh well. good to know

'95 RS 5spd Red
Black Chrome Matrix Type X CAI
A'pexi N1 Catback Turbo Exhaust
Viper 500esp
Indiglo Gauges
Clear Bumper Lenses
Hiper White Bulbs
Hanabi 9000k HID Kit
Interior Blue LED/Neon Lighting w/ Music Interface
SPAL Deluxe Power Window Kit
Power Trunk Release Kit

In The Mail: }>
Nakayam GT-5 Silver 17x7 rims
Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 (215/45/17)
Dual Piston Calipers
AEM AWD Big Brake Upgrade
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Metal Master Brake Pads

-marc

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #4744 Previous topic | Next topic