Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #4080
View in linear mode

Subject: "Alpine Head Unit" Previous topic | Next topic
MCubed45Oct-02-02 10:04 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4080, "Alpine Head Unit"

Quick question for those of you with alpine head units: crutchfield says they don't fit (because of the depth). but i've seen a bunch've you guys have them. any modification or anything needed? TIA

(i'm looking at getting the CDA-7995 btw)

'95 RS 5spd
Black Chrome Matrix Type X CAI
A'pexi N1 Catback Turbo Exhaust
Indiglo Gauges
Clear Bumper Lenses
Hiper White Bulbs

-marc

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Alpine Head Unit, Fast420A, Oct-02-02 10:53 PM, #1
RE: Alpine Head Unit, a_miller_76, Oct-02-02 11:17 PM, #2
RE: Alpine Head Unit, audiophyl, Oct-03-02 12:48 AM, #3
RE: Alpine Head Unit, a_miller_76, Oct-03-02 12:56 AM, #4
RE: Alpine Head Unit, OZ_GS, Oct-03-02 01:03 AM, #5
      RE: Alpine Head Unit, iamnotwhoiam, Oct-03-02 04:05 AM, #6
RE: Alpine Head Unit, MCubed45, Oct-03-02 08:11 PM, #7
RE: Alpine Head Unit, SILVERNT, Oct-05-02 09:41 AM, #8
      RE: Alpine Head Unit, iamnotwhoiam, Oct-05-02 10:06 AM, #9
           RE: Alpine Head Unit, SILVERNT, Oct-05-02 10:20 AM, #10
                RE: Alpine Head Unit, MCubed45, Oct-08-02 02:28 PM, #11
                     RE: Alpine Head Unit, m_berrow, Oct-09-02 01:13 AM, #12
                          RE: Alpine Head Unit, jerseystyle1, Oct-09-02 05:25 PM, #13
                               RE: Alpine Head Unit, m_berrow, Oct-10-02 12:09 AM, #14
                                    RE: Alpine Head Unit, jerseystyle1, Oct-10-02 03:31 PM, #15
                                         RE: Alpine Head Unit, m_berrow, Oct-11-02 02:35 AM, #16
                                              RE: Alpine Head Unit, MCubed45, Oct-11-02 02:25 PM, #17

Fast420AOct-02-02 10:53 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4081, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a 3 year old one that fits fine. The newer ones may be deeper though.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - unknown
Project: Baby on the way

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

a_miller_76Oct-02-02 11:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#4082, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, mine's 3 years old too, but it's no bigger or smaller than the new ones I put in every weekend. Man, crutchfield is like the "Idiot's Guide To Stereo Systems"....go to a shop, meet the guys, talk to them, and learn from them. Get a part time job at a shop, that's what I did.

audiophylOct-03-02 12:48 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
152 posts,
#4083, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 0

Here's the deal with mounting a head unit into a dsm. If you have the single did radio, with the pocket below, you're in great shape. If you have the double did radio, you will have to get the kit, or I would recommend getting a pocket at a local dealer or bone yard.

Pull the factory h/u and iso-mount the radio into the factory brackets. On Alpines, you will want to pull the bracket with the pins off of it first. It takes a #1 Phillips head screwdriver. Once that is done, reinstall the headunit, without the trim ring. Put the bezel around the radio and pocket and then put the radio trim ring back on the alpine. This will give you a nice look.

If you need to use the kit, the same pretty much applies, but it will not look as good as using the factory pocket.

As far as depth, we have plenty of room behind the headunit.

Good luck to you!

J. Mykel Hill
SLAP Mid-West Event Coordinator

jmykel@slapshow.com

Certified IASCA Judge
Certified SLAP Judge

http://members.cardomain.com/audiophyl

2002 Sound, Looks, & Performance National Champion--Advanced Mitsubishi

a_miller_76Oct-03-02 12:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#4084, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 3

Also remember to take a micro sized phillips head screwdriver and remove the mounts on the side of the alpine for the cage lock clips. They won't fit in there.

OZ_GSOct-03-02 01:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
#4085, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 3

I ended up installing mine without a kit and just got the factory pocket. It did stick out enough that I couldn't get the bezel for the radio/HVAC all the way back on. It stuck out like a 1/4 inch on the top. It looked ok but not great. Just recently I pulled the bezel back out to paint it and figured I would try and make it fit better also. If you look at the bezel you can see a part of it on the back that just goes straight back towards the front of the car that is keeping it from going all the way in.

I took my dremel and sanded this portion away and now the bezel fits fine and looks much better. Oh by the way I tried a kit first and it turned out really shitty and felt a bit flimsy(sp).

Chad

MODS:
3" PVC CAI, GST Muffler, Greddy 4-1 Header, AFX UDP, 55 mm bored TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Corbin intake spacer, gutted cat, Apexi S-AFC, KYB AGX Struts, Eibach Prokits, Excel TZ-10 Rims

iamnotwhoiamOct-03-02 04:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#4086, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 5

yeah i had no problem with installing mine.. depth is fine ( i have no idea why crutchfield says it doesnt fit). now i did have a problem with the sides of the unit.. near the front. but i just cut out little slots in my bezel to take care of it and it fit and looks great.

also.. the plastic kits that are available for our cars are POS's and i will never use one again. i just used my factory metal brackets and screwed the unit into that and i didnt have the pocket, but i had my old eq that i used to take up the space.. it is non functional right now, and will soon be replaced by a dvd player soon as i have some $

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

MCubed45Oct-03-02 08:11 PM
2706 posts,
#4087, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for all the info guys. yea i kinda figured crutchfield was 'misinformed' to say the least... hehe

thanks for the pics of it installed too, jason

'95 RS 5spd
Indiglo Gauges
Clear Bumper Lenses
Hiper White Bulbs

-marc

SILVERNTOct-05-02 09:41 AM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
#4088, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 7

hey iamnotwhoiam is that the alpine 7873 head unit, if so, thats the same one that i have, how do you like it? the tilt is kind of useless though
later
chris

iamnotwhoiamOct-05-02 10:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#4089, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 8

accually it is the 7995.. and yeah i suppose the tilt thing is a bit useles.. but oh well.. still is cool to show people

btw.. here are a few other pics of recent with the mounting of said unit..

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

SILVERNTOct-05-02 10:20 AM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
#4090, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 9

yeah everyone gets a kick out of it. ALPINE OWNS!!!
later
chris

MCubed45Oct-08-02 02:28 PM
2706 posts,
#4091, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 10

lol ya alpine kicks ass

'95 RS 5spd
Indiglo Gauges
Clear Bumper Lenses
Hiper White Bulbs

-marc

m_berrowOct-09-02 01:13 AM
Member since Feb 19th 2002
268 posts,
#4092, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 11

m....are you looking to buy that head unit. I can get it a lot cheaper than crutchfield. let me know asap and i will hook it up

GS-N pssssst!

GS-N pssssst!

jerseystyle1Oct-09-02 05:25 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
#4093, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 12

Do you deal in car audio?

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

m_berrowOct-10-02 12:09 AM
268 posts,
#4094, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 13

yep sure do....i do a lot of alpine, kicker, fosgate, pioneer, etc., but can also get cheap shit if needed.

GS-N pssssst!

GS-N pssssst!

jerseystyle1Oct-10-02 03:31 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
#4095, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 14

What kind of deals can you do with alpine and can you get JL?

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

m_berrowOct-11-02 02:35 AM
268 posts,
#4096, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 15

what are you looking for with alpine and i know someone that can get you jl audio cause he's got the hook up straight from jl. let me know what you want specifically. alpine will be cheaper just because i hook it up phat for 2gnt members and i dont know how much this guy will mark it up for JL's.

GS-N pssssst!

GS-N pssssst!

MCubed45Oct-11-02 02:25 PM
2706 posts,
#4097, "RE: Alpine Head Unit"
In response to Reply # 16

i'd definately be interested in getting some alpine stuff. i'm lookin at getting the cda-7995 HU, some type R components for the front, some type R's for the rear, and their 5 channel amp... dunno if i can afford everything all at once though. and getting the HU w/o the amp's kinda dumb. haha.

oh an i'm prolly gonna be getting the JL stealth box too.. a local shop here quoted me the MSRP ($530) including installation. i don't think it's very hard to install an wouldn't mind saving some money on that.

thanks

'95 RS 5spd Red
Viper 500esp
Indiglo Gauges
Clear Bumper Lenses
Hiper White Bulbs
In the mail: SPAL Deluxe Power Window Kit

-marc

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #4080 Previous topic | Next topic