Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #3915
View in linear mode

Subject: "i keep getting shocked?!?" Previous topic | Next topic
ajnastarSep-12-02 04:16 AM
Member since Sep 07th 2002
66 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3915, "i keep getting shocked?!?"

everytime i turn my car off, when i go to close the door, i touch the metal and BZZZZ, i get a shock. could this be because of the location of the ground for my headunit? where should the ground be attached.

thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: i keep getting shocked?!?, a_miller_76, Sep-12-02 04:21 AM, #1
RE: i keep getting shocked?!?, ajnastar, Sep-12-02 05:38 AM, #2
      RE: i keep getting shocked?!?, Tanqueray201, Sep-12-02 01:13 PM, #7
RE: i keep getting shocked?!?, SPL_Eclipse, Sep-12-02 05:42 AM, #3
RE: i keep getting shocked?!?, JohnnyCorona, Sep-12-02 06:13 AM, #4
      RE: i keep getting shocked?!?, a_miller_76, Sep-12-02 07:18 AM, #5
           RE: i keep getting shocked?!?, mkerley, Sep-12-02 07:50 AM, #6
RE: i keep getting shocked?!?, ajnastar, Sep-12-02 01:15 PM, #8
RE: i keep getting shocked?!?, fauchpj, Sep-12-02 01:49 PM, #9

a_miller_76Sep-12-02 04:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3916, "RE: i keep getting shocked?!?"
In response to Reply # 0

Uhm...I've never heard of this. Is it a crack? Like a static electrical shock? Cause you can hold the ground to your radio in your hand and it won't shock you...let alone shock you on the door of your car.

It's probably static electrical. There's a lot of factors with that. What you're wearing, what kind of seat upholstry you have, what the weather is like.....

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ajnastarSep-12-02 05:38 AM
66 posts,
#3917, "RE: i keep getting shocked?!?"
In response to Reply # 1

yea its like a hard static electricity crack. and it hurts too, its pretty strong.... just before i sat down in my car for 2 seconds to get my wallet, got up and BZZZZZZ.... its starting to piss me off...

i wear jeans & t-shirts, and the apolstry is cloth...i couldnt imagine that a tiny bit of rubbing would create a strong shock?

tia

Tanqueray201Sep-12-02 01:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
67 posts,
#3918, "RE: i keep getting shocked?!?"
In response to Reply # 2

I used to have that exact same problem, and it started after I installed an audio system in my car. I don't know if that's the reason, or just coincidence. I just realized that it hasn't happened in a while, though. Seems to have mysteriously disappeared on its own.

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1996 Eagle Talon n/t(for sale!)
1998 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja

SPL_EclipseSep-12-02 05:42 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#3919, "RE: i keep getting shocked?!?"
In response to Reply # 0

LOL...it seems like theres just some people who arent lucky with static electricity; my girlfriend is one of them. maby try using those anti-static dryer sheets

on a side note, a 12 volt potential is not enough to send current through our bodies (in the millions of ohms or resistence), so dont worry its not anything related to the stereo.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

JohnnyCoronaSep-12-02 06:13 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2002
780 posts,
#3920, "RE: i keep getting shocked?!?"
In response to Reply # 3

carpet floor mats!!

-johnny

"Few people understand
the psychology of dealing
with a highway traffic cop.
Normal speeders will panic
and immidiately pull over to
the side. This is wrong. It
arouses content in the cop
heart. Make the bastard
chase you, he will follow..."

http://homepage.mac.com/
johnnycorona/signature/logo.jpg

-johnny

"Few people understand
the psychology of dealing
with a highway traffic cop.
Normal speeders will panic
and immidiately pull over to
the side. This is wrong. It
arouses co

a_miller_76Sep-12-02 07:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#3921, "RE: i keep getting shocked?!?"
In response to Reply # 4

Here's how you fix it. Hold onto the metal part of the door or the body as you actually stand up. This will flow static current through you as you stand rather than letting it build up. You're just grounding yourself out.

And yeah, that combo (cloth and jeans/tshirt) will make a shock. The jeans and tshirt are cotton, and the "cloth" is some kind of synthetic material. Rub cotton and plastic together and you'll get a good amount of static build-up. Now think about how much surface area you are dealing with from your shoulders down

mkerleySep-12-02 07:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#3922, "RE: i keep getting shocked?!?"
In response to Reply # 5

This used to happen to me all the time in my celica (cloth seats) and I never could find the problem. I've never had it happen in my eclipse (leather seats). My guess is the seat material causes the static build up which zaps you. I finally figured out that if I touched the ground before i touched the car, the static would discharge to the ground and when I touched the car, no zap.

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

ajnastarSep-12-02 01:15 PM
66 posts,
#3923, "RE: i keep getting shocked?!?"
In response to Reply # 0

thanks guys

fauchpjSep-12-02 01:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4784 posts,
#3924, "RE: i keep getting shocked?!?"
In response to Reply # 8

when my dad had a mx-3 it had these little buttons on the door panel that said "press" i was flippin through the manual and it said when you get out of the car to press the little tab to release the static energy so u wont get shocked.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #3915 Previous topic | Next topic