Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #3545
View in linear mode

Subject: "Type R components" Previous topic | Next topic
a_miller_76Aug-08-02 11:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3545, "Type R components"

Alright, I'm a big Alpine fan, everything in my car is Alpine. Accept for the door speakers. They're Polk 6.5 components and the catch is my girlfriend bought them for me so I can't just chuck them and get new ones whenever. So I'm in the process of blowing them Anyhow. I have Type R Alpine Coaxials in the rear speakers in my car. Anyone have Type R Components up front? I'm worried they will recess too far back in the door and I won't be able to roll my window down all the way.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Type R components, OZ_GS, Aug-09-02 12:52 AM, #1
RE: Type R components, a_miller_76, Aug-09-02 02:19 AM, #2
      RE: Type R components, OZ_GS, Aug-09-02 02:27 AM, #3
           RE: Type R components, a_miller_76, Aug-09-02 05:16 AM, #4
                RE: Type R components, OZ_GS, Aug-09-02 06:21 AM, #5
                     RE: Type R components, BlitzedEclipse42oA, Aug-11-02 08:08 AM, #6
                          RE: Type R components, OZ_GS, Aug-11-02 03:51 PM, #7
                               RE: Type R components, a_miller_76, Aug-12-02 03:25 AM, #8

OZ_GSAug-09-02 12:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3546, "RE: Type R components"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah I have them in the doors....the 176A set.

I just took off the pod and mounted them in sheet metal with those cheap foam baffles to protect them. They don't interfere with my windows at all and they sound great...

I am also an Alpine freak.

Chad

MODS:
3" PVC CAI, GST Muffler, Greddy 4-1 Header, AFX UDP, 55 mm bored TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Corbin intake spacer, gutted cat, Apexi S-AFC, KYB AGX Struts, Eibach Prokits, Excel TZ-10 Rims

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

a_miller_76Aug-09-02 02:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#3547, "RE: Type R components"
In response to Reply # 1

Why exactly did you remove your factory pod? Was your diameter of the outside too big to fit in the factory pod or was the depth too much? I was considering cutting the back out of the factory pod when I installed them. Lemme know.

OZ_GSAug-09-02 02:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
#3548, "RE: Type R components"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah the basket for the 176A was nowhere close to fitting in the pod. It would have taken many hours with a dremel to get it to fit. Those components are actually 6-3/4" so its bigger than the stock speakers.

The way I did it worked great though and was cheap and easy.

I just bought a small sheet of sheet metal and cut it in half. Then traced and cut the shape of the pod on either piece. Then marked and drilled the holes to match up with the pod. Then used the template that came with the speakers and cut out the mounting hole.

Screwed the sheet metal into the doors and the speakers into the sheet metal and all is well. I also primed and painted it to prevent rust.

Chad

MODS:
3" PVC CAI, GST Muffler, Greddy 4-1 Header, AFX UDP, 55 mm bored TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Corbin intake spacer, gutted cat, Apexi S-AFC, KYB AGX Struts, Eibach Prokits, Excel TZ-10 Rims

a_miller_76Aug-09-02 05:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#3549, "RE: Type R components"
In response to Reply # 3

Rock on...I'm actually an installer but I wanted to get some ideas before I started jamming stuff into my doors. Did you consider ABS sheeting? That's probably what I will use. Don't have to paint it and it won't rattle as easily. I dynomatted the bejesus out of my doors already. Have yours ever caused a resonance or rattle problem?

OZ_GSAug-09-02 06:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
#3550, "RE: Type R components"
In response to Reply # 4

Nope I don't have any problems with that. I didn't dynomat or anything but the baffles cushion the speakers pretty good againdt the sheet metal. Its fairly thick sheet metal that i am using so I don't think there is much if any movement.

Chad

MODS:

BlitzedEclipse42oAAug-11-02 08:08 AM
Member since Aug 11th 2002
66 posts,
#3551, "RE: Type R components"
In response to Reply # 5

I have type are fronts and I love them they fit great. I had to use the dremel on the stock mounting thing it took awhile but it fits. and then i put the tweeters in the stock spot and then put the metal grill back over it. These mids are defenitly worth the money. I want to get type r's in the rear. do they sound pretty good??

97 Eclipse GS
Aem CAI, Obx 2.5" Stainless Cat back, Tomm's coilovers, Blown stock struts , Black housing projectors, Blitz Body kit, Dark blue metallic paint, Alpine cva-1005 head unit (6.5" indash monitor), Alpine type-R 6.5" component set, boston acoustics 5X7" in the rear, 2 alpine type-r 12"s Pheonix gold sub amp and eclipse 4 channel.

97 Eclipse GS
Aem CAI, Obx 2.5" Stainless Cat back, Tomm's coilovers, Blown stock struts , Black housing projectors, Blitz Body kit, Dark blue metallic paint, Alpine cva-1005 head unit (6.5" indash monitor), Playstation 2, Alpine ai-net 6-disc change

OZ_GSAug-11-02 03:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
#3552, "RE: Type R components"
In response to Reply # 6

Well I have them as you can see from my sig but if you want the truth I can't really hear them over the front compnents. Since they are just rear fill I don't think it matters much which speakers you have in the back. I like them mostly because I like to have consistancy throughout my system and the silver speakers look pretty sweet through the stock grills.

Chad

MODS:

a_miller_76Aug-12-02 03:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#3553, "RE: Type R components"
In response to Reply # 7

I have the type R 6.5 coaxials in the back. They come with an outboard cross-over which is cool. They sound great and really blow away my current Polk pieces of crap. I have to balance my stereo to the front to hear my components. That's why I'm replacing them. But I'd suggest the coaxials for the back. Like was said before, it's just rear fill so don't go overboard.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #3545 Previous topic | Next topic