Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #344
View in linear mode

Subject: "How do you remove the head unit?" Previous topic | Next topic
ReleasESep-05-01 01:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#344, "How do you remove the head unit?"

The Pep Boys, Kragens, and Autozones near me don't have the repair manuals. The best thing I found was on www.installdoctor.com, but they only had up to '94 models.

I'm not changing head units (I have stock, but I don't have $250 to burn on a new one 'cuz I just bought amp and sub), I'm just going to attach the power signal to the amp. I'm not sure how yet... Can't connect it to the power antenna because the CD player can play while the antenna's down. I was thinking either right to the power of the unit, or possible just skip the unit all together and connect it to the Level 1/Level 2 key turn.

Thanks!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Moderatorsd_eclipseSep-05-01 03:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#345, "RE: How do you remove the head unit?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hmm, things bring up a couple of things. I hope your amp has speaker line inputs because our stock decks don't have RCA outputs like most if not all aftermarket decks. If your amp doesn't have speaker line inputs, your SOL till you get a aftermarket deck to use the RCA outputs.

To remove the console:
Slide the pass/driver seat forward.
remove the screws on each of the lower back corners.
Pull on the cup holder/ashtray. (should pop right out of place)
remove the 2 screws there.
pull the face plate off the a/c controls(It to should pop out, might need a flat screw driver to pry a little)
remove the 2 screws in the corners.

Whole console should slide out now and give you easy access to the radio.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ReleasESep-05-01 05:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4 posts,
#346, "RE: How do you remove the head unit?"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, my amp has high-level input. I made sure before I bought it. But if it didn't, there are still high-level to RCA converters. Dunno how much it'll distort though. Either way, I'm still going to save up for a head unit, but that'll probably be coming in a couple months.

jZaSep-05-01 09:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#347, "RE: How do you remove the head unit?"
In response to Reply # 2

The metra dash kit brings instructions

javi d
vroom n' boom
bone-stock dsm performance

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

TeamXtremeRSSep-05-01 10:37 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#348, "RE: How do you remove the head unit?"
In response to Reply # 0

Well the easiest way to do it if u have high level inputs, just use the rear speaker wires for the input.Tap off of them. For your amp turn on, just use the accessory wire at your ingnition switch wiring harness. Also, DEI makes a cool little thing called a remote power adapter. It is a relay that will turn on your amp with a small voltage input, such as your speaker wires. So when you turn on your radio, this powers up the relay, and sends 12+ volts to your amp turn on. Most DEI alarm dealers such as viper, and python, sidewinder,hornet; they should be able to get it for you.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #344 Previous topic | Next topic