Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #335
View in linear mode

Subject: "radio reception" Previous topic | Next topic
madregalSep-03-01 09:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#335, "radio reception"

what can i do to improve my radio reception?
i drive on passes and canyons and i get ONE station.
did tinting the back window have anything to do with it?

'98 GS AT
Magenta Gray Pearl
NGK Plugs and Wires
AEM Short Stack
GS-T Exhaust
Bored throttle body
Bored Intake manifold
AFX underdrive pulley
RRE Front Lower Bar

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar.Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: radio reception, Marctronixx, Sep-03-01 11:10 AM, #1
RE: radio reception, 1TuffRS, Sep-03-01 04:19 PM, #2
      RE: radio reception, Teameclipse804, Sep-04-01 05:05 PM, #3
RE: radio reception, Moderatorsd_eclipse, Sep-05-01 03:07 AM, #4
RE: radio reception, eclipserider, Sep-10-01 11:31 AM, #5
      RE: radio reception, Marctronixx, Sep-11-01 08:39 AM, #6
           RE: radio reception, eclipserider, Sep-11-01 08:12 PM, #7
                RE: radio reception, koolade9, Sep-13-01 05:04 PM, #8

MarctronixxSep-03-01 11:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
571 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#336, "RE: radio reception"
In response to Reply # 0

thats a loaded question. first off, FM radio is very directional in nature. so it likes to bounce off of buildings and such. you need to get a radio that has a sensitive tuner (measured in dbf...decibel femtowatts). the lower the number the better. there is really not much yu can do, as since you are in valleys and such. tinting the windows has no effect. you could try to get one of those "fuba" or similiar amplified radio antennas.

enjoy!

'99 Eclipse RS (Special Edition)
Iceman Cold Air Intake (Blue)
Powerslot X-drilled rotors w/Axxis Metal Master
brake pads
Myrtle Shoot 18's w/ 215-35-18 Nitto
NT450 Extreme Tires
Indiglo guages and lighted valve stems
Custom audio/video system
NGK BK 5's
Magnecore wires on the way!

1/4 mile in 37.220 sec's

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1TuffRSSep-03-01 04:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#337, "RE: radio reception"
In response to Reply # 1

I have an RS, which doesnt come with the integrated antenna in the hatch, and my radio reception sucked b4 I got my RF head unit, it boosts radio signals (or something like that) and it really helps when im out in the boonies.

'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS
Performance: Modded stock airbox with K&N, GST Muffler
ICE: RF MP3 Player and speakers
Looks: Painted brakes, clear corners

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Teameclipse804Sep-04-01 05:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#338, "RE: radio reception"
In response to Reply # 2

Ya just get a new head unit and your problems should be solved, or at least not as bad...all aftermarket head units have a better FM Sensitivity rating than the stock radio, so it is more sensitive to fm signals. I think the lower tha rating the better, but I may be wrong...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://www.importvenom.com
Import Venom

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Moderatorsd_eclipseSep-05-01 03:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
#339, "RE: radio reception"
In response to Reply # 0

You can use a am/fm amplifier to boost your signal a little. They are fairly cheap and pretty easy to install. here's a link
http://crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-prdtwC8kx6d/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=2&g=732&I=12044UA60&o=M&a=0

eclipseriderSep-10-01 11:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
86 posts,
#340, "RE: radio reception"
In response to Reply # 4

Hey guys,

Well I have a 99 GS with the dual attenna set up (glass, power). I have an Eclipse 55430 deck in my car. The question is which attenna is better and what does the plug for it look like. One is a small plug that I need the adaptor to fit in the hole and the other is the larger plug. which is which? and Which one should I use? Thanks

Thomas

99 GS Sport Package
Star stage II Turbo Kit
T3/T04 turbo w/ e-trim and 57 series compressor wheel
HKS SSBOV
APEXi S-AFC
APEXi AVC-R
Corbin A/F
APEXi EGT, Boost, Oil Pressure
APEXi N1 Exhaust
Grouncontrols, Konis, RH C3's

MarctronixxSep-11-01 08:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
571 posts,
#341, "RE: radio reception"
In response to Reply # 5

not sure on the adaptors, but you should use both.. you ahev a true diversity setup.. which means, if one ant has a weak signal the other one will step in and take over.. and they go bakc and forth doing that... so id say keep them! as long as the radio can accept the two, or if you had to chose, id go with the power one and not the glass....

'99 Eclipse RS (Special Edition)
Iceman Cold Air Intake (Blue)
Powerslot X-drilled rotors w/Axxis Metal Master
brake pads
Myrtle Shoot 18's w/ 215-35-18 Nitto
NT450 Extreme Tires
Indiglo guages and lighted valve stems
Custom audio/video system
NGK BK 5's
Magnecore KV-85 plug wires

1/4 mile in 37.220 sec's

eclipseriderSep-11-01 08:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
86 posts,
#342, "RE: radio reception"
In response to Reply # 6

The thing is though is that I have to pick one but I dont know which is which. I would assume the power attenae got more signal than the glass but which plug is it? Large or small? Thanks for any help.

99 GS Sport Package
Star stage II Turbo Kit
T3/T04 turbo w/ e-trim and 57 series compressor wheel
HKS SSBOV
APEXi S-AFC
APEXi AVC-R
Corbin A/F
APEXi EGT, Boost, Oil Pressure
APEXi N1 Exhaust
Grouncontrols, Konis, RH C3's

koolade9Sep-13-01 05:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#343, "RE: radio reception"
In response to Reply # 7

okay, he is right about them going back and forth, but I'm not aware of an aftermarket radio manufactured today that has dual antenna inputs....so to answer your question, use the power antenna rather than the diversity(rear glass) antenna. it's the larger plug and will plug right into your aftermarket radio without an adapter.

an antenna adapter will only amplify your signal(static/distortion and all), not increase the sensitivity of the tuner. for better overall reception, get a headunit with an excellent tuner section. sony's ssia tuner in their ES peices works very well, so does the pioneer supertuner.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #335 Previous topic | Next topic