Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #323
View in linear mode

Subject: "DVD Setup" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamicjeclipseJul-27-01 11:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#323, "DVD Setup"

Hey, i am just thinking about doing this but have no idea how to so i thought i would ask you guys.

I am thinking of putting a home DVD player in my 95 Eclipse. The one i am looking at is only $119 and can play DVD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW and MP3. What what i need to hook this up to my car?

I have a Panasonic CD-600U headunit currently, would i even need to keep this or use the DVD palyer as my headunit?

I would only want one screen in my dash. Who makes decent quality, inexpensive screens?

How would i hook it up to my existing speakers and subwoofer? Thanks

Ian
95 Eclipse RS
http://www.geocities.com/icjeclipse/index.html

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
i thought about this too...., klipzracer, Jul-27-01 11:41 PM, #1
RE: i thought about this too...., Teameclipse804, Jul-28-01 07:49 AM, #2
RE: i thought about this too...., Teamicjeclipse, Jul-28-01 12:16 PM, #3
      yeah f@# a home dvd!, klipzracer, Jul-29-01 12:35 AM, #4
      RE: i thought about this too...., Teameclipse804, Jul-29-01 04:52 PM, #5
           RE: i thought about this too...., klipzracer, Aug-01-01 01:01 AM, #6
                RE: i thought about this too...., james, Aug-01-01 07:05 AM, #7
                     RE: i thought about this too...., marctronixx (Guest), Aug-03-01 01:03 PM, #8
                          RE: i thought about this too...., xzolian, Dec-04-01 12:21 PM, #9
                               RE: i thought about this too...., poplife319, Dec-04-01 03:16 PM, #
RE: i thought about this too...., poplife319, Dec-04-01 03:16 PM, #10

klipzracerJul-27-01 11:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#324, "i thought about this too...."
In response to Reply # 0

here goes:

1. buy a home dvd player and mount in trunk
2. use power invertor(sp?) to power dvd player(ac to dc)
a. mount this in trunk too. hardwire to battery with a
switch to turn units on/off
3. most cd/tv thingies that go in your dash have rca
inputs which you can just plug into from your dvd player

if anyone finds different please share info.

Chris Dishmon
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com or
chrisdishmon@yahoo.com (pretty original, huh?)

I have no really neat sayings to post here and too much $h!t done to my car to post either! Just visit my web site.

http://klipzracer.homestead.com/index.html

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teameclipse804Jul-28-01 07:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#326, "RE: i thought about this too...."
In response to Reply # 1

Yup all you need is to have RCA cables going out from your DVD player to the LCD screen. You would keep your existing head unit, and route the audio cables from the DVD player into an AUX input of your head unit (if it has one). Otherwise I think you need a new head unit in order to get the audio from the DVD into your car speakers.

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://www.importvenom.com
Import Venom

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

TeamicjeclipseJul-28-01 12:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#327, "RE: i thought about this too...."
In response to Reply # 2

How do i know if my head unit has aux.? Will a home dvd payler skip alot? Does the PS2 have shock protection? My car has a pretty rough ride

Ian
95 Eclipse RS
http://www.geocities.com/icjeclipse/index.html

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

klipzracerJul-29-01 12:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#328, "yeah f@# a home dvd!"
In response to Reply # 3

just get the ps2 and you got 2 for the price of one!

Chris Dishmon

I have no really neat sayings to post here and too much $h!t done to my car to post either! Just visit my web site.

Teameclipse804Jul-29-01 04:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#329, "RE: i thought about this too...."
In response to Reply # 3

Oh ya, I never thought about the anti-shock part. I don't think you should use either a ps2 or home dvd player when driving...I don't think they are meant for being constantly shaken like in a car...but if you just want it for shows or while stopped, then it should play just fine...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://www.importvenom.com
Import Venom

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

klipzracerAug-01-01 01:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#330, "RE: i thought about this too...."
In response to Reply # 5

or you can mount it on an anti-shock stand(like for protable CD players and build an enclosure around it so you can't see the stand.

Chris Dishmon

jamesAug-01-01 07:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
56 posts,
#331, "RE: i thought about this too...."
In response to Reply # 6

I found 4" LCD screens on ebay for $88 dutch auction and the 5.6" LCD screens for $120...i think. I got the 4" screen. Do a "search by seller" for dskweres@aol.com.

I haven't actually dipped into the headunit yet but it has TV tuner capibilites. I have a Pioneer DEH-P7200. Dosen't seem like its going to be that complicated though

Still searching for a dvd player that will withstand the everyday driving conditions. I'll post what I find just to keep you guys informed.

James
1999 Mitsu RS
Northstar White
mymitsu99@hotmail.com

Current Mods:
Iceman
Greddy SP Cat-Back
Nology Hot Wires
NGK Plugs
AFX UDP
F&R Strut Bars
Eibach Pro-Kits
Ingalls Camber
Monsoons 18x7.5(SOLD!)
Yoko Parada 225/40(SOLD!)
Altezzas/Center Painted
Shaved Spoiler
GS Skirts and Caps
Fosgate Hx2 10's
Hifonics Amp

Soon: AEM Cam Gears, Enkei Shogun 17x7 & Falken FK451 215/40, 4" LCD and DVD(so I can watch the F&F when I'm sitting at those long red lights )
Coming June 2002: HRC Stage I

marctronixx (Guest)Aug-03-01 01:03 PM

#332, "RE: i thought about this too...."
In response to Reply # 7

AAH!! this is my expertise!! i have just this setup!

i have a sony MD headunit with voice command and it has tv controls(under that i have the sony mobile ES synthesized EQ.. usaed mainly for lows and the spectrum analyzer!). i have a 10-disc changer which hooks up to the head with one control cord (and rca's). i then have a sony XT-40V tuner that has channel 01-64 on it. i have a sony home dvd player s-360 (with a power inverter.. gota have it) to the tuner.. cd changer is going to tuner...tuner controls all those inputs and connects to head. i have the dvd player sitting on the fold down seat in the back. i also have a 5.6 inch LCD color screen. the dvd player has not skipped on me.. and i have had it in the car for a long time now.. of course i dont race are drive crazy when the dvd is running.. they WILL skip.. but i have not had mine to skip... actually with it sittin on the seat (with the back of the seat down) it really does a good job os dampening the bumps in the road...

a ps/2 will do a good job as well... friend of mine has one in his big body impalla (spelling?). i am waiting for the second production run fo ps 2's b4 i get one!

so i can attest that the s-360 (ands s-560) works pretty good in the car. these are home units that cost around 200 bucks... much less than geting a car dvd player!

sorry so long.. but i hope i helped!

xzolianDec-04-01 12:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
49 posts,
#333, "RE: i thought about this too...."
In response to Reply # 8

where is your lcd mounted?

Xzolian
x5z5o5l@earthlink.net (remove the fives to send me an email)

1996 Eclipse RS
not that many.....

poplife319Dec-04-01 03:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
30 posts,
#334, "RE: i thought about this too...."

I was thinking that a kool place to mount a screen would be under the passenger side airbag cover. Obviously, the bag would have to be removed in order to do this. But, it would be really easy to put a set of hinges on the rear of the cover and some type of small hydraulic lift to assist in opening it. I'm thinking some simple type of magnetic catch could keep it closed. Or maybe making it so a release switch or lever could be in the glovebox. That way it could be kept pretty stealth when not being used.

just an idea
pop

poplife319Dec-04-01 03:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
30 posts,
#325, "RE: i thought about this too...."
In response to Reply # 1

I was thinking that a kool place to mount a screen would be under the passenger side airbag cover. Obviously, the bag would have to be removed in order to do this. But, it would be really easy to put a set of hinges on the rear of the cover and some type of small hydraulic lift to assist in opening it. I'm thinking some simple type of magnetic catch could keep it closed. Or maybe making it so a release switch or lever could be in the glovebox. That way it could be kept pretty stealth when not being used.

just an idea
pop

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #323 Previous topic | Next topic