Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #2933
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?" Previous topic | Next topic
Weezle745Jun-18-02 09:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2933, "Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"

Has anyone lost any hearing capabilities because of their loud stereo? Does it really affect us if we listen to music with a lot of bass? I have 2 10" subs and have recently been having to raise the volume just a little bit higher on my stereo. Anyone have any info?

--- My 2gnt WIKI contribution ---> http://www.jamlez.com/2gnt

97 Eclipse Spyder

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, JohnnyCorona, Jun-18-02 10:11 AM, #1
RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, RSClipse9d7, Jun-18-02 11:24 AM, #2
RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, TeamXtremeRS, Jun-18-02 11:41 AM, #3
RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, JohnnyCorona, Jun-18-02 12:34 PM, #4
      RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, HondaHater21, Jun-18-02 01:27 PM, #5
           RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, LoudEclipse, Jun-19-02 07:54 AM, #6
           RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, loudgs, Jun-19-02 08:20 AM, #7
                RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, jesse, Jun-19-02 10:48 AM, #8
           RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, EclipseTical, Jun-20-02 12:41 AM, #9
                RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, BlitzdEclipse99, Jun-20-02 04:06 AM, #10
                RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, jesse, Jun-20-02 08:21 AM, #11
                     RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, Teamdougie2, Jun-22-02 09:48 AM, #12
                          RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, euro_clipse, Jun-25-02 12:59 AM, #13
                               RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, Weezle745, Jul-04-02 09:23 AM, #14
                                    RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, fatchance, Jul-04-02 03:53 PM, #15
                                         RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, jeclipse14, Jul-11-02 10:21 AM, #16
                                              RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, Weezle745, Jul-13-02 05:44 AM, #17
                                                   RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, jeclipse14, Jul-13-02 04:45 PM, #18
                                                        RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?, BlitzdEclipse99, Jul-15-02 05:32 AM, #19

JohnnyCoronaJun-18-02 10:11 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2002
780 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2934, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 0

it can, but not usually. i think i might have minor hearing issues since ive been doing it for about 15 years. buy hey, if we go def atleast we can still feel it!

-johnny

"Few people understand
the psychology of dealing
with a highway traffic cop.
Normal speeders will panic
and immidiately pull over to
the side. This is wrong. It
arouses content in the cop
heart. Make the bastard
chase you, he will follow..."

http://homepage.mac.com/
johnnycorona/signature/logo.jpg

-johnny

"Few people understand
arouses co

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RSClipse9d7Jun-18-02 11:24 AM
Member since Dec 08th 2001
915 posts,
#2935, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 1

I've always been around loud music (DJing, cars or at home) and I have noticed it a little. I think. By the time I need it they will have really small hearing devices that will be better than ear drums anyway. I hope.

97 RS- Runs, but never driven
2000 Subaru Outback- Daily Driver

TeamXtremeRSJun-18-02 11:41 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#2936, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 0

haha this is a good question Well i have noticed a slight hearing loss, over a few years of being really into loud mega bass. Just be advised that it doesnt take much to experience hearing loss. Anything over 115 decibels will cause hearing loss, but it takes constant exposure at a certain length of time for it to happen. The louder the sound, the less time required to damage your ears. I have personally been through almost 150+ db's of bursting bass, and it does hurt the ears quite a bit. I always used to drive around with the bass all slammin, usually around 140+ db's in my old car. Your ears do adjust to lound sounds too, so you will not notice any loss until you discontinue the loud sounds. Since i've only had one of my 15's in my car compared to the 2 15's in my old car, my ears start to hurt with just the one if its up all the way. Now i never noticed my ears hurting that much at all with the 2 15's in my old car..wierd, ins't it? So for all you bass heads out there, be careful, you WILL damage your ear drums with prolonged exposure to loud bass. On a side note, our ears are more capable of sustaning louder sounds at lower frequiences, than at higer frequencies. So you can tolerate louder bass over louder treble..And dont expect the medical world to have a fix for damaged ear drums..They are so small, and delicate, they may never have the capability to replace or operate on them. I'm sure i'll end up with a hearing aid when i'm in my 60's...Price you pay i guess..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

JohnnyCoronaJun-18-02 12:34 PM
Member since Mar 23rd 2002
780 posts,
#2937, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 3

^^^^ wow, you sound smart! : )

-johnny

"Few people understand
arouses content in the cop
heart. Make the bastard
chase you, he will follow..."

http://homepage.mac.com/
johnnycorona/signature/logo.jpg

-johnny

"Few people understand
arouses co

HondaHater21Jun-18-02 01:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1750 posts,
#2938, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 4

WHAT???? I have bad hearing to begain with, but this will prob make me death

"Only Pirates Say R"
hondahater21@hotmail.com
www.geocities.com/hondahater21

Change Your own Blinker Fluid! --> http://geocities.com/changeyourblinkerfluid/

LoudEclipseJun-19-02 07:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1758 posts,
#2939, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 5

huh? who said that?

loudgsJun-19-02 08:20 AM
Member since Apr 10th 2002
611 posts,
#2940, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 6

in our ears there is a structure called the cochlea filled with interstitual fluid (water basically), the cochlea is shaped like a curved horn and on the walls, there are little hairs that are "tuned" to a certain frequency, mind there are millions of these and some overlap. how you hear sounds is when you hear a certain frequency, sound travels into your ear in the form of pressure and slightly moves the hairs that are tuned to the frequency you are hearing. prolonged bass exposure as with any other prolonged exposure can make these hairs "go limp" (best way to explain it) to where they cannot vibrate and send the signal to your nervous system for you to "hear" the sound

1993 Eagle Talon Tsi FWD
6 bolt swap COMPLETE!
ACT flywheel, ACT 2600, Joe P MBC, Autometer boost guage, Buschur DP, Buschur high flow cat, prothane motor mounts, BM tranny lsd insert, K&N,balance shafts eliminated, EGR blocked, free mods, and sweet ass 16g @ 18psi.

jesseJun-19-02 10:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
963 posts,
#2941, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 7

hey extreme, I think its just the shape of the hatchback that makes 15's hurt. When I put my 2 15's in my talon last winter it hurt my ears to listen to them. When they were in my avenger they don't bother me. At first i thought I was just starting to not be able to handle loud bass anymore but when I sat in my friends car with 4 12's it didn't hurt. So I think its just the car.

-------------------------------

1997 Dodge Avenger - 13.7 @ 105

EclipseTicalJun-20-02 12:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
648 posts,
#2942, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 5

>WHAT???? I have bad hearing to begain with, but this will
>prob make me death

it's Deaf not death.

~Sean

99 GSX
97 RS--SOLD

BlitzdEclipse99Jun-20-02 04:06 AM
Member since Apr 01st 2002
388 posts,
#2943, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 9

I'll agree that your ears get "used" to your high sound levels after a while. When I first put my new system into my car (2 L7 15's) it was loud as hell to me and I couldn't stand to turn it up, but now it's fine and I can really crank it up. I've had soooo many systems* , yet it happens everytime, loud at first but then you want more. Here's a test for ya: Take your subs out of your car for about a week, at the end of the week put 'em back in and turn them up, the shit will sound loud as hell 'cause you weren't exposed to it on a daily basis and you are't used to it now.

*System List: 2 10's, 4 10's, 6 10's, 3 12's, 4 12's, 1 18, 1 15, 3 15's, and now my 2 15's. I'm never satisfied and always trying something different, if you ever need info on a speaker, holla at me and I probaly can help you out.

Custom Computers
http://www.virtual-octane.net

jesseJun-20-02 08:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
963 posts,
#2944, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 9

>>WHAT???? I have bad hearing to begain with, but this will
>>prob make me death
>
>it's Deaf not death.

actually if its loud enough it can cause death. Ruptures internal organs and whatnot.

-------------------------------

1997 Dodge Avenger - 13.7 @ 105

Teamdougie2Jun-22-02 09:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#2945, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 11

I've been bumpin for 10 years, shooting guns for 15 years, DJ'ing for 5 years all w/o ear protection. Medically, I'm 25% deaf in my left ear and 35% deaf in my right ear (probably from the guns). Take it easy guys, it sucks saying "huh?" all the time!

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

euro_clipseJun-25-02 12:59 AM
Member since May 14th 2002
515 posts,
#2946, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 12

Let's face it. We're all doomed. 15 or 20 years from now, we will all be driving around our 25 year old eclipses, banging our stereos we can't even hear!!}>
For real guys, if you blast your 12 or 15 inch subs all the damn time, you're just gonna end up being a middle aged man with hearing aids. I did it for 2 years and when I gave my life to the Air Force, it disqualified me for a ton of different job opportunities since I have slight hearing loss.
Wear some ear plugs, cuz we all know you really just want everyone else to hear you stereo anyway!

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Weezle745Jul-04-02 09:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
#2947, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 13

yeah ive been listening to it at a lower volume now. Sometimes ill "bump" while in a crowded parking lot, or when pulling into a party, but thats about it. I feel a slight hearing loss.

97 Eclipse Spyder

fatchanceJul-04-02 03:53 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
761 posts,
#2948, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 14

Jesse is right, Acoustics can be a huge part of it(sound bouncing right at you with less time to be reduced in a hatch. ) and as to death, it's around 180dB's but don't quote me!

1995 RS
new engine, I think I'm just going to leave it stock now.

jeclipse14Jul-11-02 10:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
93 posts,
#2949, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 15

I heard anything over 170 will make you go deaf. I dont know if its true?
late

Weezle745Jul-13-02 05:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
#2950, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 16

>I heard anything over 170 will make you go deaf. I dont know
>if its true?

how long at 170? like just a second or a while?

97 Eclipse Spyder

jeclipse14Jul-13-02 04:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
93 posts,
#2951, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 17

im not sure i think that your ears can hanlde up to 170 i dont know if after that it just goes completly or if it just wears really quick.

BlitzdEclipse99Jul-15-02 05:32 AM
Member since Apr 01st 2002
388 posts,
#2952, "RE: Anyone notice any Hearing Loss?"
In response to Reply # 18

yea, humans can't take over 170db from what I understand. I heard that the Team Gates Bronco and John Henry's Juggernaut Van produce enough cabin pressure to quickly kill a human if they were to stay inside the vehicle during a run.

Custom Computers
http://www.virtual-octane.net

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #2933 Previous topic | Next topic