Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #241
View in linear mode

Subject: "the flush woofa!" Previous topic | Next topic
klipzracerJul-16-01 01:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#241, "the flush woofa!"

i got a board i'm cutting and gonna cover with vinyl for use as a floor board for my trunk. the question is does anyone know of a good 15" woofer that is possibley "freeair" or what if i installed a gasket on the back of the wood and bolted it down to the chassis and use the spare tirewell as a box? or should i just get a 12" woofer and buy a small box to mount to the underside of the board?

Chris Dishmon

The klipz is still rotting outside in the parking lot destined for the bodyshop.

chrisdishmon@hotmail.com
http://klipzracer.homestead.com/index.html

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: the flush woofa!, Black97GS, Jul-16-01 03:21 AM, #1
RE: the flush woofa!, klipzracer, Jul-16-01 08:38 AM, #2
      RE: the flush woofa!, Talon, Jul-16-01 10:34 AM, #3
           RE: the flush woofa!, Teameclipse804, Jul-16-01 03:01 PM, #4
                RE: the flush woofa!, klipzracer, Jul-23-01 09:51 AM, #5
                     RE: What do you guys do with your spare?, EsiTalon, Jul-23-01 11:08 AM, #6
                          RE: What do you guys do with your spare?, klipzracer, Jul-23-01 11:27 PM, #7

Black97GSJul-16-01 03:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
93 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#242, "RE: the flush woofa!"
In response to Reply # 0

You probably don't want to do this. I tried this on a whim in my car, and the results were miserable. It vibrated EVERYTHING in the car. It sounded awful. If you want to go this route, you will need to make a fiberglass tub in the spare-tire well, and heavily sound-deaden the well. My roommate and I took the tire bracket out of his tire well and are currently constructing a fiberglass enclosure for 2 15's. It's not hard at all, just a little time-consuming. It takes quite a few layers of fiberglass to make it rigid enough, and a lot of bracing. It's possible to do a fiberglass enclosure in the well without removing the bracket, but you might have to bring your baffle up a big so the magnet(s) clear that bracket. Let me know if you want to go this route and don't know how to work with fiberglass.

Clint

>i got a board i'm cutting
>and gonna cover with vinyl
>for use as a floor
>board for my trunk. the
>question is does anyone know
>of a good 15" woofer
>that is possibley "freeair" or
>what if i installed a
>gasket on the back of
>the wood and bolted it
>down to the chassis and
>use the spare tirewell as
>a box? or should i
>just get a 12" woofer
>and buy a small box
>to mount to the underside
>of the board?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

klipzracerJul-16-01 08:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#243, "RE: the flush woofa!"
In response to Reply # 1

well how about strapping a box on to the back of the floor and maybe working one 12 out of it? i plan on cutting out the spare tire bracket?

Chris Dishmon

The klipz is still rotting outside in the parking lot destined for the bodyshop.

chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

TalonJul-16-01 10:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
258 posts,
#244, "RE: the flush woofa!"
In response to Reply # 2

hey chris i have been reading up on doing a fiberglass install in the trunk area....if you want i will research it some more send you some links and shit on how to do it and when i come down to do the headlight thing we can do the fiberglass install in the trunk...basically you need to figure out how much cubic air space you need and then make a box outta cardboard that is the size you need and conforms to the wheelwell like you need and then with the whole trunk taped up and coverd you put fiberglass cloth over the cardboard...and then you coat it with a resin and let it harden...after i think 2-3 coats you can pull it out for the rest. you just make sure both sides have a few coats...like i would say 3 at least on each side maybe 4 to make the box strong...and then after it hardens you can bolt it to the board...after putting a few beads of caulk (sp?) also if the spare tire is outta there i would consider drilling a hole in the bottom of the fiberglass tub and with silicon and rubber washers in both sides...using the nut that is already there for the tire...put a bolt in it to hold it down. most thieves that i know or whatever...wont take out each fucking screw to get the sub out...!!!! nice idea huh? well anyway you could do what i started to do and that was build a box for the bottom and then a deck...i can help you with that also if you like since i had almost the whole thing built! the deck comes up to about 1/2 way to the rear upper strut bar. the advantage to fiberglass is ALOT LESS WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talon
97'Talon Esi
Injen short ram intake
Rear-upper strut bar

(to be installed)
gs-t muffler
aem cam gears
af\x udp
56mm tb
injen cold air intake extension
eclipse sideskirts and door caps

Teameclipse804Jul-16-01 03:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#245, "RE: the flush woofa!"
In response to Reply # 3

I installed a fiberglass enclosure in my spare tire well, and removing the spare tire brackets is a PAIN! We had to drill out each of about 20 spot welds, and then knock that thing off. Then I used some metal weld mix to fill in the holes in the bottom of the well. It took quite a bit of effort and time. I think it would be really hard to build a fiberglass enclosure without removing the spare tire well brackets though...good luck. I'll have pics posted on a web page soon with a step by step of the install...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://www.importvenom.com
Import Venom

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

klipzracerJul-23-01 09:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#246, "RE: the flush woofa!"
In response to Reply # 4

well i went with one of the new 12" rockford punchs cause i got a friend who owns a stereo shop and got it for 45 bucks. i installed it today and it slams hard without a box! louder than i had intended it to so i decided not to go with a box on the back of it. it says it requires 1.25 sealed and 2 ported.

Chris Dishmon
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

I have no really neat sayings to post here and too much $h!t done to my car to post either! Just visit my web site.

EsiTalonJul-23-01 11:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
42 posts,
#247, "RE: What do you guys do with your spare?"
In response to Reply # 5

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm just leary of building a box in the tire well, because I'd lose my spare...

V

95 Talon Esi AT

Mods
AEM CAI w/ bypass (I love it!)
FU & RU Strut Tower Bars (coming)
GS-T muffler (coming)

Sounds
Clarion Deck
Xtant 500W Amp
2 12" MTX subs

klipzracerJul-23-01 11:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#248, "RE: What do you guys do with your spare?"
In response to Reply # 6

mines in the back of my rental truck right now. i keep a bottle of fix-a-flat in the truck or you can keep it under the seat.

Chris Dishmon
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

I have no really neat sayings to post here and too much $h!t done to my car to post either! Just visit my web site.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #241 Previous topic | Next topic