Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #2351
View in linear mode

Subject: "Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?" Previous topic | Next topic
ecl98pseApr-28-02 03:13 PM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
573 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2351, "Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"

would you get a ticket if a cop saw it in the cover for the pass. side air bag? what about the feature that only allows opperation when the parking brake is engaged, does that make it leagal?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?, 99Eclipse, Apr-28-02 03:18 PM, #1
RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?, Teamdougie2, Apr-28-02 04:28 PM, #2
      RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?, LoudEclipse, Apr-28-02 06:49 PM, #3
           RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?, Teameclipse804, Apr-28-02 07:29 PM, #4
                RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?, ecl98pse, Apr-29-02 03:28 AM, #5
                     RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?, Teamdougie2, Apr-29-02 04:05 AM, #6
                          RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?, ecl98pse, Apr-29-02 05:38 AM, #7
                               RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?, Blk95Talon, Apr-29-02 06:18 AM, #8
                                    RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?, optimuspeterson, Apr-29-02 06:44 AM, #9
                                         RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?, 99Eclipse, Apr-29-02 09:00 AM, #10
                                              RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?, ecl98pse, Apr-29-02 10:43 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?, HondaHater21, Apr-29-02 01:27 PM, #12
                                                        RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?, Remy, May-05-02 01:05 PM, #13
                                                             RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?, ecl98pse, May-12-02 10:37 AM, #14

99EclipseApr-28-02 03:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
853 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2352, "RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"
In response to Reply # 0

Depends on what sate your in im sure. I don't "think" it is illegal I see guys in the Detroit area in Escalades with there windows down driveing past cops with 15 inch monitors in the back that you can see.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamdougie2Apr-28-02 04:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#2353, "RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"
In response to Reply # 1

I called my local DMV and Highway Patrol. They said that it is completely legal because it is a "supplemental restraint". I'm in TN, so you should check with your local offices. I would also let anyone who gets in your ride know that it has no airbag.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

LoudEclipseApr-28-02 06:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1758 posts,
#2354, "RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"
In response to Reply # 2

first off, taking out the airbag....not too smart in my opinion. second of all, the screens in suvs are considered ok because they are behind the drivers view, altho, they could be deemed hazardous because they distract other drivers. i would say, mount it somewhere else.

Teameclipse804Apr-28-02 07:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#2355, "RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"
In response to Reply # 3

Technically, all cars made after 95 (or some year) HAVE to have dual air bags. One for driver and one for passenger. It is required by law just like a seat belt is as far as I know. I would mount the LCD elsewhere if possible, since it would also be easy to steal in plain view. Also, driving with any tv or movie on is illegal if the driver of the car can see it. That's why SUVs etc mount it behind the driver.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

ecl98pseApr-29-02 03:28 AM
573 posts,
#2356, "RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"
In response to Reply # 4

where are some other good spots(5" monitor)

Teamdougie2Apr-29-02 04:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#2357, "RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"
In response to Reply # 5

In the sunvisor... you flip it down to see the monitor.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

ecl98pseApr-29-02 05:38 AM
573 posts,
#2358, "RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"
In response to Reply # 6

do you have any pictures?

Blk95TalonApr-29-02 06:18 AM
Member since Feb 20th 2002
875 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2359, "RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"
In response to Reply # 7

I know you said you already have a 5" lcd, but here is a pic of a 7" one built into a sunvisor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1349624230

it wont let me right click to copy the link to the pic, it says something like it is a copyright image or something, so just check out the link.

Account disabled upon user's request.

-CODE4

optimuspetersonApr-29-02 06:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#2360, "RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"
In response to Reply # 8

actually.... they passed a law (or bill, i don't know) that the cars have to be manufactered with dual airbags, but all you have to do is fill a form out and then you can take one or both of them out (not positive if both can come out).

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

99EclipseApr-29-02 09:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
853 posts,
#2361, "RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"
In response to Reply # 9

Well lets just put it this way.. you crash your screwed.. those screens will shatter or bust and maybe someone head may even winde up in it.. your call I think the visor is the best place in our cars to put screens.. 1 in each visor.

ecl98pseApr-29-02 10:43 AM
573 posts,
#2362, "RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"
In response to Reply # 10

any one have pics of their setups?

HondaHater21Apr-29-02 01:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1750 posts,
#2363, "RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"
In response to Reply # 11

Well in Cal (I live in FL) if your vin has a airbag sign on your VIN and you dont have it, $$$$ I have my 7" LCD on my mirrior

"Only Pirates Say R"
hondahater21@hotmail.com
www.geocities.com/hondahater21

Change Your own Blinker Fluid! --> http://geocities.com/changeyourblinkerfluid/

RemyMay-05-02 01:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#2364, "RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"
In response to Reply # 12

i got the indash dvd/tv and it is illegal here in nyc but when the cops pull me over to fuck with me i just press the button and flip it in.

Auto Tranny- Full Blitz kit- Termanator wing w/led - 17'GTR Rims- M3 mirrors w/led- Custom 2.5" Exhaust- Aem CAI w/ bypass valve- G-3 Altezzas- Indiglo Gauges- Eibach sportline springs- Pacesetter Headers-
Kenwoood indash tv/dvd/dreamcast - JL Audio custom 12x3 12" sub- JL Audio 250/1 amp -MB Quart 5 1/4 fronts- Sony 6x9 backs

Remdawgz@aol.com

10 MB C300- Family Car
07 MB CLK350 - Daily Driver
03 Evo VIII GSR - 569hp Daily Driver
04 Evo VIII RS - Weekend Warrior (sold)
95 TSI AWD-500+hp- sold (huge mistake))
95 Eclipse (First NYC turbo'd 420a) sold
6 other dsms sold or parted out.

CornBread Racing
R.I.P Shane aka Cornbread.
Racing will never be the same with out you brother.

ecl98pseMay-12-02 10:37 AM
573 posts,
#2365, "RE: Screen in passenger side air bag cover legal?"
In response to Reply # 13

do you have any pics of your setup?

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #2351 Previous topic | Next topic