Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #2297
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)" Previous topic | Next topic
Teamdougie2Apr-21-02 09:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2297, "Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"

As many of you may have noticed, there is a flapping sound on the rear passenger-side. When the bass hits, these flaps do their job and vent the air to the outside of the car. As a result, it sounds like shit on the outside. Ya know, a flapping noise!

Well, here's a pic of the inside of my hatch... panels removed. Put a piece of duct tape over these and you'll eliminate that annoying flapping sound. Hope it helps someone out...

I'll be posting more pics all week as I do my entire installation.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic), jZa, Apr-21-02 11:14 AM, #1
RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic), Teameclipse804, Apr-21-02 11:16 AM, #2
      RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic), Teamdougie2, Apr-21-02 11:41 AM, #3
           RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic), JohnnyCorona, Apr-22-02 03:40 AM, #4
RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic), TeamXtremeRS, Apr-22-02 11:01 AM, #5
RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic), Teamdougie2, Apr-22-02 12:42 PM, #6
      RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic), TeamXtremeRS, Apr-22-02 03:05 PM, #7
           RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic), All4thaN0okie, Apr-23-02 03:03 AM, #8
                RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic), fauchpj, May-01-02 10:38 AM, #14
RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic), TeamXtremeRS, Apr-23-02 03:56 AM, #9
RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic), Mannyyy, Apr-25-02 05:50 AM, #10
      RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic), dudasd, Apr-26-02 02:12 PM, #11
           RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic), Teamdougie2, Apr-26-02 03:55 PM, #12
                RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic), dsmeclipse, May-01-02 07:45 AM, #13

jZaApr-21-02 11:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2298, "RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"
In response to Reply # 0

i used weatherstripping

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teameclipse804Apr-21-02 11:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#2299, "RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"
In response to Reply # 1

Do you have to have a lot of bass to have that actually flap? I haven't listened to the outside of my car much to see if it makes the noise.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Teamdougie2Apr-21-02 11:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#2300, "RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"
In response to Reply # 2

When I had a very small system, they flapped. Just turn the bass up and go to the passenger rear and see if you hear it. It's really weird, but the duct tape (or weatherstripping ) fixes that.

Doug

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding

JohnnyCoronaApr-22-02 03:40 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2002
780 posts,
#2301, "RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"
In response to Reply # 3

ill have to try that. thanks for the tip!

-johnny

"Few people understand
the psychology of dealing
with a highway traffic cop.
Normal speeders will panic
and immidiately pull over to
the side. This is wrong. It
arouses content in the cop
heart. Make the bastard
chase you, he will follow..."

http://homepage.mac.com/
johnnycorona/signature/logo.jpg

-johnny

"Few people understand
the psychology of dealing
with a highway traffic cop.
Normal speeders will panic
and immidiately pull over to
the side. This is wrong. It
arouses co

TeamXtremeRSApr-22-02 11:01 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#2302, "RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"
In response to Reply # 0

I personally would be somewhat weary of covering up that vent. Its there for a reason. Its meant to keep fresh air coming into and out the interior of the car. If you drive with your windows up all the time, then it is slightly possible for carbon monoxide to build up in there. Usually, the fresh air comes into the front of the car, and vents out those 2 vent pieces on each side of the car. I don't really know of the liklyhood of that really happening, but you wouldn't know until its too late. It will prob be ok, but i wouldn't drive for hours with the windows up...

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Teamdougie2Apr-22-02 12:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#2303, "RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"
In response to Reply # 5

The only way for carbon monoxide to be present is if you have an exhaust leak. If you never have an exhaust leak, then you'll never have carbon monoxide. Everyone please note that an exhaust leak IS very serious. My uncle fell asleap in his car with the engine running and a leaky exhaust... needless to say he never awakened.

However, the vent (there is only one and it's on the passenger side)is a GENERAL VENTILATION DUCT... it's not there for the purpose of carbon monoxide removal. If you did have the chemical present, the vent would do no good... you'd still be poisoned. Also, there are no vents on our car designed to bring fresh air in and out of the car. There is a convenience vent built into the center vents with a switch, though.

Blocking off this vent is not dangerous and will not save you in the case of an exhaust leak. Feel comfortable leaving your windows up.

If you have any concerns or would like to see a diagram of the vent, refer to the Chassis and Body Factory Service Manual.

Doug

TeamXtremeRSApr-22-02 03:05 PM
6329 posts,
#2304, "RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"
In response to Reply # 6

yeah, i can see what you are saying, and that vent is indeed a ventalation vent. It has to be there because if you have your heater or a/c on, the fan motor could bulid up pressure inside the car if that vent wasn't open and all your windwos were closed. That is really the major function of that vent. It just lets the fan motor bring in fresh air and lets the old air in the car vent to the outside. I was just saying if that for some reason if there was an exaust leak, and that vent was blocked, and the windows up, then the ecaust *could* get into the car without any way out, or *ventilation*. I'm sure its perfectly fine to cover that vent up, but just wanted to clear up the actual purpose of the vent. With the vent blocked, and your windows up, you may notice that your blower may not be as strong as it was though...its working harder to build up pressure in the car...

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

All4thaN0okieApr-23-02 03:03 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2001
501 posts,
#2305, "RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"
In response to Reply # 7

not to be a dick or anything.....but... if the exhaust had a way to get in..then it has a way to get out.....

'95 Eclipse RS
INTERIOR
-Sony CDXM 750
-2 JL Audio 12w0 subs
-Premiere Amp
-CompuStar 2WAS Alarm with Remote Start and Pager
EXTERIOR
-Enkei 15" wheels (came with the car)
-2nd Generation Altezza Tails
-Clear Bumper Lenses
-APC Speed Glo Mirrors (with turn signals)
-Red LED Washer Nozzles
PERFORMANCE
-K&N Filter

fauchpjMay-01-02 10:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4784 posts,
#2306, "RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"
In response to Reply # 8

>not to be a dick or anything.....but... if the exhaust had a
>way to get in..then it has a way to get out.....

not really. after it goes in, you breathe it, so it doesnt have a chance to go back out

TeamXtremeRSApr-23-02 03:56 AM
6329 posts,
#2307, "RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"
In response to Reply # 0

haha, do what you guys want, but if its really that much of a noise problem, just rip that rubber thing out, and you will still retain the proper ventilation...thats what i would do...

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

MannyyyApr-25-02 05:50 AM
Member since Dec 08th 2001
1526 posts,
#2308, "RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"
In response to Reply # 9

Ever notice how much easier it is to shut the door with the hatch or sunroof open? Everytime you shut the door you're forcing a huge volume of air inside, that's what the vent is for.

-Manny

dudasdApr-26-02 02:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
735 posts,
#2309, "RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"
In response to Reply # 10

Not sure what noise your hearing, I have hit over 150 dB's in my car and never had a problem with noise from that vent.... If anything it probably will save your glass from busting out if you hit really hard...not to mention the whole door/hatch closing thing....If you can hear that thing rattle or flap or whatever then maybe you need to get a little more sound and over power the noise..

Teamdougie2Apr-26-02 03:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#2310, "RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"
In response to Reply # 11

Yeah I'm sure you can't hear it... it's not very loud just annoying. My vent is taped off and the doors shut fine, so does the hatch.

Doug

dsmeclipseMay-01-02 07:45 AM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
3 posts,
#2311, "RE: Rear vent... common audio noise problem (small pic)"
In response to Reply # 12

The rubber flaps were stuck on my car. Every time I shut the door or hatch the damn sunroof would pop up a little. It sucked when it rained. I unstuck the rubber flaps and now the sunroof doesn't pop up. That is the reason cars have those things. They are used to keep the pressure inside the car equal the pressure outside the car. Do ya'll agree

RS-T in the making!!!!

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #2297 Previous topic | Next topic