Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #2092
View in linear mode

Subject: "subwoofer placement" Previous topic | Next topic
BlmetApr-04-02 11:41 PM
Member since Jan 26th 2002
328 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2092, "subwoofer placement"

I was just thinking of this and wondered if it would work. Put a sub in a board and put the board over the spare tire wheel and then use sealant or caulk and seal the board to the metal and then bolt it down. Would this work? Or is there something I am no considering, i know for a real powerful sub I have have to calk the shit out of it and bolt that bitch like there is no tomorrow.

If that would work, that leads to these questions, the sheetmetal is rigid enough not to flex like a cheap box due to the sub, right? And finally would this cause excessive vibration (more than normally expected ) and loosen shit on the bottom of the car?

Thanks for reading

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: subwoofer placement, JohnnyCorona, Apr-05-02 04:56 AM, #1
RE: subwoofer placement, fauchpj, Apr-05-02 06:04 AM, #2
RE: subwoofer placement, Blmet, Apr-05-02 06:26 AM, #3
      RE: subwoofer placement, JohnnyCorona, Apr-05-02 06:48 AM, #4
RE: subwoofer placement, Teameclipse804, Apr-05-02 10:15 AM, #5
      RE: subwoofer placement, JohnnyCorona, Apr-05-02 10:54 AM, #6
           RE: subwoofer placement, Teameclipse804, Apr-05-02 02:44 PM, #8
RE: subwoofer placement, jerseystyle1, Apr-05-02 12:29 PM, #7
RE: subwoofer placement, BeefGG, Apr-06-02 07:52 AM, #9
      RE: subwoofer placement, ModeratoreclipzGST, Apr-07-02 06:41 PM, #10
RE: subwoofer placement, SPL_Eclipse, Apr-09-02 02:00 PM, #11

JohnnyCoronaApr-05-02 04:56 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2002
780 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2093, "RE: subwoofer placement"
In response to Reply # 0

sure... this guy did it.. im sure he will post soon.

http://stereoinstall.importvenom.com/

-johnny

"Few people understand
the psychology of dealing
with a highway traffic cop.
Normal speeders will panic
and immidiately pull over to
the side. This is wrong. It
arouses content in the cop
heart. Make the bastard
chase you, he will follow..."

http://homepage.mac.com/
johnnycorona/signature/logo.jpg

-johnny

"Few people understand
arouses co

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

fauchpjApr-05-02 06:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4784 posts,
#2094, "RE: subwoofer placement"
In response to Reply # 1

that guy looks like he replaced the original board. that board is like cardboard and i dont think that it would hold up a sub

BlmetApr-05-02 06:26 AM
Member since Jan 26th 2002
328 posts,
#2095, "RE: subwoofer placement"
In response to Reply # 2

yeah, but i am talking about not haveing a bottom at all. I meant using the metal itself as the bottom of the enclosure if you will.

JohnnyCoronaApr-05-02 06:48 AM
780 posts,
#2096, "RE: subwoofer placement"
In response to Reply # 3

why dont you be the first to try it? personally i think it would sound 2 echo like, but i guess if you insulated it well that would take care of that. imagin a home speaker tower made out of sheet metal.. i dont think the accustics would work, but then who knows... it could be the loudest bang anyone ever heard!! better make sure your exhaust is on good and tight!

-johnny

"Few people understand
heart. Make the bastard

-johnny

"Few people understand
arouses co

Teameclipse804Apr-05-02 10:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#2097, "RE: subwoofer placement"
In response to Reply # 1

Ya that's my install and it's not the stock board. It's also sealed, not just hanging there. The bottom is all fiberglass with mdf reinforcing it. I think what you want to do sounds like you need "free-air" subs. The seal would not be tight enough for a sealed enclosure type of sub, and the volume would most likely be too large. You can buy free-air subs, and make a new flat piece out of mdf (to replace the thin cardboard stock piece). But keep in mind you'd most likely have to remove your spare tire.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

JohnnyCoronaApr-05-02 10:54 AM
780 posts,
#2098, "RE: subwoofer placement"
In response to Reply # 5

by the way eclipse804, i like your setup. i was considering that but im too chicken to dump my spare. although i dont know why.. i dont even have lugs for the damn thing yet. plus i dont need cargo room really. how is the bass response on that anyway??

-johnny

"Few people understand
heart. Make the bastard

-johnny

"Few people understand
arouses co

Teameclipse804Apr-05-02 02:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#2099, "RE: subwoofer placement"
In response to Reply # 6

The subs sound really clean, but I think I need better subs and more power to get deeper bass. Also, it doesn't travel very well outside of the car because they face straight up and hit the hatch window. If you want it loud outside, if you face them forward at an angle towards the windows, then it will be real loud outside too. My friend did that with his car. It is a LOT of fiberglass work to do what I have though (good thing I bought it off a socal dsmer used hehe).

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

jerseystyle1Apr-05-02 12:29 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
#2100, "RE: subwoofer placement"
In response to Reply # 0

Using the spare tire well is a great idea, especially when it comes to space. But there is a little more work needed then just using a board and caulk. The metal surface is definately not meant for a speaker enclosure. Gut out the spare tire well. Make a mold of the well using fiberglass and MDF. Make sure you use enough layers of fiberglass to make the enclosure rigid. You don't want any "flex". Then, if you like, you can mount the board on to the lower enclosure that you made. Make sure that you have an air tight seal. Also make sure to use some sound deadening material on the spare tire well.

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

BeefGGApr-06-02 07:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
196 posts,
#2101, "RE: subwoofer placement"
In response to Reply # 7

If you try it without molding a fiberglass box, lining the well with alumium might be a good idea. Alumum is not magnetic. I don't know if an attraction between the speaker magnet and the car metal is good or not, but that doesn't happend in a fiberglass or wood box. So just grab the allumumum foil and throw some down for the heck of it.

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-07-02 06:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#2102, "RE: subwoofer placement"
In response to Reply # 9

Also, if you think that the well would be too much space, you could use some fiberglass insulation as filler and get rid of the tinniness you'd get from using metal as an enclosure at the same time....

-Tony 98'GST

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.dyndns.org

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

SPL_EclipseApr-09-02 02:00 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#2103, "RE: subwoofer placement"
In response to Reply # 0

Blmet:

Using the spare tire well is a great idea for an enclosure, but you really need to re-enforce the sheetmetal or you will get a lot of rattling and sympathetic vibration at certain frequencies, causing some interesting sounds. Also, sealing the replacment board with caulk will not create a tight enough seal, seeing as how the trunk floor is ribbed and all. Any air escaping will cause rear-wave destructave interference, reducing the output. I would suggest using fibreglass to make a mold of the tire well, and then attaching the mounting baffle (replacment floor) with more fiberglass. Its very important to have a riged and non resonant enclosure to produce good bass.

eclipse 804:

adding more power to the subs will not necissarily increase low end responce, as it tends to raise the amplitude over the entire spectrum, so if you wanted to ONLY re-enforce the lower frequencies, there are two things you can do: (a) change the subs out for ones that are better suited for a smaller enclosure (JL and Image Dynamics come to mind) or (b) make the enclosure volume bigger. note that with choice "b" the responce will be shifted down somewhat, so you might loose a little "kick", if you will. you will also get a larger "hump" in the response about a half an octave above the f3 point (point where the system is 3dbs below the average output across the spectrum, typically in the 40hz range in a sealed system). You could also port the system for lower range output, but it wouldnt really be feasable in an encloure that small, as the port size would fill up most of the enclosure.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #2092 Previous topic | Next topic